Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
patriot stageII heads and lunatti 595/242 cam major idle problems is their any way to up the idle to about 1200-1500 with out ecu programing also the compression is now 11.5:1 should i regap the plugs

02' zo6

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
You can to drill a small hole in the bottom of the TB. That will help a little with the idle. You need a tune also...no way to get around it. With a cam that big on a stock cube motor...ls1 edit is a must. :guiness:

Welcome to the site! :cool:

·
Registered
203 Posts
IT LBS said:
patriot stageII heads and lunatti 595/242 cam major idle problems is their any way to up the idle to about 1200-1500 with out ecu programing also the compression is now 11.5:1 should i regap the plugs

02' zo6
I'll bet you have more than just idle problems. You will need a tune for sure. Many good tuners around or you can buy HP Tuners and do it yourself.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
You will have to tune with that much cam. You will have all sorts of other issues with that can unless you tune.
Buy your own version so you don't get fried every time you get some one to tune. Cheaper in the long run.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok i've been thinking about a pcm tune or a stand alone what stand alone systms are out their fast, aem, haltech, somthing i could use a stock wire harness or a pcm tune. what about spark plug gap because i think im getting some missfire according to my perditor computer is their a upgraded coil / ingition system amp
here's a list of mods
patriot heads stgII
595/242 cam
cooks 1 7/8 headers
cooks 3 inch x pipe (no cats)
borla stinger cat back
150 shot nos
vortech in line fuel pump
findanza ultra light flywheel
spec stgIII clutch
coolant by pass
mti tru ram air
160 degree thermostat
atp underdrive pully
soon to come a lunatti 383 stroker kit
thanks again for your help
jeremy

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
IT LBS said:
also what is the idle relearn procedure?
An Idle ReLearn can be accomplished either of 2 ways:

1. If immediate computer upgrade is necessary or the car runs rough you need to initiate the 5 minute, stepped procedure.

- A/C OFF, Fans OFF
- Ignition OFF
- Disconnect Battery
- Wait 5 minutes
- ReConnect Battery
- Ignition ON (Do NOT START), wait 1 min.
- START to Idle, Verify A/C & Fans OFF
- Idle to allow H2O to reach 176 degrees
- Idle at H2O at or above 176 degrees for 5 minutes
- Ignition OFF
- Wait 30 seconds
- ReStart and verify smooth idle.

ECM/PCM will contuinue to relaern at a faster rate from a correct baseline. Usually complete in 50 miles.

2. If you are willing to wait for the computer to automatically relearn itself, it will take 100 miles, sometimes 200. You should also vary your driving habits during this time. Complete in 200 miles if no other changes made.

Note: ECM/PCM continues to slowly upgrade to your driving habits continually
:z:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
will this procedure work if i have to stay on the gas to keep it running or will the relearn auto matic open the throttle to keep it running ?

thank for all your help
jeremy

·
Registered
320 Posts
Jeremy, get yourself a good shop and get the LS1 Edit done.
My friend just had patriot heads and comp cam installed and he had a tuner do the tune as it would not idle unless it was around 2000 rpm, pretty difficult with an automatic.
They had to drill a small hole in the bottom of the throttle body as well to help with the idle even after the tune.

Don

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Mine idles great with no hole in TB. It is all in the tune. I also have the 90mm fast and 90mm TB.

With your mods you MIGHT need larger injectors and most definalty if you spray.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Go to HP Tuners website and read up and order it. You can be a pro-tuner in no time...

Alternately you can pay someone. Gapping plugs will not fix your issues. Alos, the car is going to be running rich. If you have cats on teh car you will kill them soon enough witha big cam and no tuning. Not to mention you've left tons of HP on the table with an un-tuned car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
so i got a program from pcm for less and my computer thinks its running lean and floods the engine black smoke every where mhy is my computer thinking lean when its got to be rich also my fuel pressure reads like over 100psi of fuel. what order do i bleed the brakes in? with the abs. i blead the brakes last night and their squishy and dont work good

any ideas ?

·
Registered
266 Posts
I agree with larger injectors and the necessity for a good LS1 edit for idle and reliability. Also you may want to go with a plug that is one step cooler due to the amount of HP increase. But like 22655TD states it really is all in the tune. Get a good tune by a professional. "Professional", a subject in itself depending on who you are. Good luck and let us know how things turn out.

Mark

22655TD said:
Mine idles great with no hole in TB. It is all in the tune. I also have the 90mm fast and 90mm TB.

With your mods you MIGHT need larger injectors and most definalty if you spray.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just got H/C on my car (MTI Stage 2E heads and a X1 cam) and it only has a hot idle problem. If I drive the car for a while and then shut it off and try to restart immediately, that's the only time I have problems. Should I do the idle re-learn problem mentioned above or do I need to drill a hole? Also, I can have the tuner open up the T.B. a bit more?

Also, the check engine light comes on. I think it's a error code 300. Is there a switch that needs to be changed w/ the LS1 edit to turn that off?

·
Registered
110 Posts
You will need LS1edit tune. I don't think any of the stand alone units will allow you to alter enough pararmeters to get it running correclty. And you should also check your AFRs and most stand alone units can do that.

·
Registered
59 Posts
IT LBS said:

02' zo6
I would bring it to someone and have them dyno tune it. You really need someone with EFIlive or LS1edit to get it to run right. I assume that is a typo with the duration. DO NOT DRILL YOUR TB!! You have ETC electronic throttle control. They will be able to tune your throttle position open %. It sounds like you have around a 62cc combustion chamber. I would not play with the gap on your current plugs, but will recommend using NGK plugs, and consult a vendor for the proper size. In addition I just read the rest of the posts is the reason for my edit. You will need to change those injectors out if they are stock. If you know what hp range you will be in you will be able to pick an injector based on that. I would say looking at your mods. you may be in the 36# range @ 58psi. normally. If you are using NOS, I would get an expert opinion. Your missfire code is absolutely normal with a cam. I would have your tuner edit that out. Good luck but have it tuned professionally or you will be leaving alot of hp on the table and it will never be 100%.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Dissident said:
I just got H/C on my car (MTI Stage 2E heads and a X1 cam) and it only has a hot idle problem. If I drive the car for a while and then shut it off and try to restart immediately, that's the only time I have problems. Should I do the idle re-learn problem mentioned above or do I need to drill a hole? Also, I can have the tuner open up the T.B. a bit more?

Also, the check engine light comes on. I think it's a error code 300. Is there a switch that needs to be changed w/ the LS1 edit to turn that off?
What vehicle and year do you have?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts