Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has been posted numerous amount of times, but since winter is slowly apporaching in most parts of the country, and a major mod is due for a lot of us .... why not !? heh

Question:

When doing heads and cam .... anyone care to break down parts needed, what's to be done, and why - etc ? ... to achieve a typical HP gain of 410 - 440 RWHP on the LS6.

/rob

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
I don't really see you making much more power than the LS1 guys with heads/cam.

Heads
Cam
Valve springs
Valves
pushrods
retainers
head gaskets
head bolts
timing cover gasket
timing chain (maybe)
UD pulley (might as well, you got it off)
crank bolt
plugs (might as well)
wires (optional - stock are FINE)
couple gallons of coolant
24 oz. of R134a refrigerant
headers (yup - do those too while you got it all apart)
stock manifold gaskets (maybe, depends on condition of old)
oil
oil filter

that's about all I can think of...:)

:cheers:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks - excellent ! This is the answer I was looking for ... screw calling a tuner, when I can have it here :) FREE. Anything else missing ... and gimme some pointers, if anyone has any.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Torque angle meter

H ithere,
A torque angle meter will be critical to the correct clamping loads that your head gaskets will need to seal correctly.
If you need any installation help, please ask, we will be glad to help, c4c5

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Rob,

You'll need to reprogram the PCM to maximize the output :)

What brand heads/cam you gonna use?? Katech, GM Performance Parts, Comp, Vinci, DRM, etc. How radical you gonna go??

I'm not an expert on this subject, but when I do it, I want to make sure I do my due diligence to get it right the first time. I have a friend who went thru 4 cams to get it right.....and he's a mechanic :-?

I'm sure some guys who've been there and done that can give us some real helpful info.

Thanks for the post Bro, and I really liked your last video....I'm getting my line lock tomorrow :cheers:

01ZEE06
Barrie

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No problem my brother ! It's all in the fun, and the sharing of info - to see who can get their car the way the want it. I am sure a lot of "silent" people benefit from this forum too ... and others, to say the least :D

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Just make sure.......

You don't get TOO rad......on the bump stick, and lose the NECCESSARY vacumn from the intake system to allow proper function of all assited items........IF there are any.......c4c5 would be a better answer guy here.............

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
fcalmes said:
Lots of $$$$ would also be a good thing to add to the list. :D
Yes! that too! :guiness:

·
Registered
568 Posts
There are folks who mainly design and develop ports and combinations. There is a huge range of expertise out there. The serious guys will have an engine dyno, not just a chassis dyno. And they will also be building serious race engines (BGN, TRANS-AM, etc). But you have to watch out.. Roush, for example, will do engine work for you, but it won't be the same guys who do the race engines (completely different crew).

There are folks who mainly install those parts.

Then there are the guys who can do programming.

Finally, there are the guys who bail you out when you get in over your head. What would we do without them?? :cheers:

If you are good with your hands, patient, have excellent attention to detail, have the tools, etc, you can do the install.

Ideally, you get the parts from a good tuner who can give you lots of references. Someone who has done Many customer engines similar to yours. In such a case, there is absolutely no excuse for the cam not being right (as 01ZEE06's friend experienced). That's why you're paying $450 for a cam that matches everything else instead of $250, right?

One question for heads/cam on an LS6/Z06 is which heads to use. When ported, folks suggest there isn't much difference between the LS1 and LS6 heads (other than a big premium for the LS6 heads). Most folks who say this are quoting peak numbers, though I don't imagine the low and mid range performance is much different either.

And what about your factory warranty after any of it - headers, cam, heads??

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Rob,

This is just my opinion...leave the zo6 alone..the car with a few basic mods or even stock is such a nice balance..

I wouldn't suggest changing that..

If you wanted to build your own [email protected] out drag car....I would suggest going to a basic C5..with an automatic..or a early FRC.

The really fast F body's might be even better due to the live axle..

The whole beauty of the zo6 is that its a factory hot rod..the balance of road racer...autox or drag racing...ready to roll with a warranty and the reliability right from the factory..

With an engine being repaired like yours has been..

I would strongly suggest just enjoying the ride..

JMO..and certainly none of my business..

I always question..why would someone radically modify the zo6..as it stands..its a supercar...with total every day practicality..

Wanna trade? LOL

1 - 11 of 11 Posts