Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been researching for the past week or so and I was wondering what setup I should go with. I'll be purchasing an 03 Z06 within the next week or so and I was wondering if I should just keep the car NA with a nitrous shot on the side or just sc it. It looks like if I supercharge it I may have a bit too much power on tap as I still want to be able to track the car and run in the canyons. Is 500rwhp possible with bolt-ons and a h/c package? It seems like a lot of tuners are getting close to 500, but has anyone actually touched it yet on a 346? Also, would the car be able to sustain a h/c package and a 150-200 nitrous shot, direct port? Or would my bottom end go out after awhile? I realize that if I sc it I would be pushing my luck with a stock block as well, so I wanted to get some feedback from you guys. Thanks for the help and this site is great!!

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
This is not personal experience talking, just observations from much time spent here. To acheive 500RWHP NA with the stock block is doable, but only just. It takes a pretty radical (read barely streetable) head/cam pkg to acheive, and that's with expert tuning. I'd think the stock bottom end would easily support this. Of course you'd also need all the bolt-ons as well. OTOH, that power level is pretty easy to reach with a SC,especially a centri-type. If you limit the boost to under 7 lbs, it shouldn't harm your engine, but tuning is essential to promote longevity. It seems to me if you're starting with a stock engine, the easiest, and probably cheapest way to retain near-stock streetability, and reach 500 would be to SC.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I did both, H/C & SC. :thumb:

Had the internals forged to be safe.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so which SC should I go with then? Also how streetable would a 450rwhp H/C setup be? Would the block be able to handle a 150-200 shot of nitrous on top of the h/c work?

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
JMO, but @450, a H/C car should be very streetable, with proper tuning. I don't know anything about NO2, but anything over a 125shot might be pushing it, if used alot. Of course, it only takes one time to hole a piston. There's no guarantees when modding. If cost is a factor, the best SC pkg looks like the Procharger from A&A. It's only downside might be the noise level. If I had the $$, I'd stay NA, and go with a big cube motor. As it is, I'm still torn between the Procharger,and a Maggie. Also, the possiblility exists of the Keene Bell arriving someday.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
how much does it cost to purchase and install a bigger motor like a 383? Do you have to buy a whole new bottom end? Also, what are some good H/C packages to get me near or above 450rwhp? My goal is to stay NA with a shot of nitrous on the side.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts