Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I was cleaning my wheels I noticed some hair line cracks in the rotors, are they covered under warrenty? I taking it by the dealership this week for that and my hood light wont work for some reason. Just trying to get a heads up on what to expect.

·
Premium Member
20,625 Posts
Usually....the brake pads and rotors are not covered under warranty. They are a normal "consumable" item like tires, oil, oil filters and air filters.

However, if your Z06 is an 04 with not very many miles, I would probably argue manufacturer defect.

Good Luck. :thumb:

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
It's normal wear and you will not be covered by warranty. Consider yourself lucky that you got this many miles out of them. Most racers consider the rotors disposable and replace them at least every other track event.

For a street car you can get cheap replacements at NAPA and other outlets @ $14 - $25 per rotor.

If you track the car you should get something better that has been Cryo treated.

The OEM Z06 rotors are the weakest link in the system as they are manufactured in Brazil and have poor metallurgy.

·
Premium Member
20,625 Posts
minytrker said:
Its an 02 with 24,000.

Not going to happen. I bought the rotors just like DJ said and put them on myself. The only pita about the DIY is the caliper bracket bolt. 125ft-lbs of torque...hard to get off (I use a 2 foot long breaker bar). Must be torqued to 125. gotta keep the clappers on! :yeadog:

·
Registered
377 Posts
If the hairline cracks are real small, you are probably OK. You can get these after one day on the track without trying real hard. SubDriver posted pictures of his rotors in various stages of cracking - take a look, then make the call. If the cracks are more than hairline, replace them.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I have more than six hard driven track events on my 02 Z, and the rotors have shown hairline cracks since the second.
You should be fine, but anything that looks slightly big than a hair the rotor should be changed.

·
Registered
711 Posts
DJWorm said:
It's normal wear and you will not be covered by warranty. Consider yourself lucky that you got this many miles out of them. Most racers consider the rotors disposable and replace them at least every other track event.

For a street car you can get cheap replacements at NAPA and other outlets @ $14 - $25 per rotor.

If you track the car you should get something better that has been Cryo treated.

The OEM Z06 rotors are the weakest link in the system as they are manufactured in Brazil and have poor metallurgy.
I agree but i think it will be up to the dealership. I've had cars that had rotors replaced under warranty with 19K of hard miles on them. Then again i had them not cover a car that only had 9K. It's really up to them.

·
Premium Member
20,625 Posts
minytrker said:
Just got back from the dealership with great news, they are replacing them Thursday under warrenty.
Great news!! :cheers:

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
That IS great news! Maybe you should spread the word about this obviously customer-conscious Dealer...
After the litany of pi$$ poor Dealer experiences, here, some good news should be "shared"...
Just a thought...

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I will let everyone know how it went after Thursday. The service guy was really helpful. I told him I just bought the car last week so he ran a service history on it and printed it out. He also said I notice your three years is up on the 16th, I make sure my corvette tech checks over the whole car for you since its about to go into the extended gm coverage.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well they had to order the rotors which will be here monday. They ordered a few other parts; ignition switch trim, drivers seat track assy, axle seal and a new water drain for the A/C. I couldnt even tell anything was wrong with my seat. They said one of my axles had some oil residue starting to show so they wanted to fix it now before it turned into a leak. I have to take it back monday to get eveything finished.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
minytrker said:
I will let everyone know how it went after Thursday. The service guy was really helpful. I told him I just bought the car last week so he ran a service history on it and printed it out. He also said I notice your three years is up on the 16th, I make sure my corvette tech checks over the whole car for you since its about to go into the extended gm coverage.
Welcome to the forum... Nice going...It seem's you just squeaked in on time with that "In Service" date...it's really a blessing that you have a helpful and competant Dealer..many here do not...Happy & Safe Seat Time With Your Zee :z:

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just got my car back from the dealer with great news. They installed the following parts all for free; 2 new front brake rotors, ingnition trim panel, driver seat adjustor, some part on my console for the gas button being loose, A/C drain tube, fixed hood light, axle seals and they ordered a new driver seat cover because I had 3 threads starting to pull out. The dealership went over the car with a fine tooth comb since my 3 years was up today and GMPP doesn't cover everything. The service guy went out his way to make sure I had a rental car and that I didn't need anything. I did not even buy the car from them. The dealership is Rick Hendrick Chevrolet in Charleston SC, A++ for there service.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Resist said:
It's "Warranty", not warrenty. Then again things are slower in the south. :)
I am from the South. When I went to school at Stanford (A.B., 1980), some of you Philistine Californians had the gaul to ask when we went into the City if I'd ever seen big buildings like these before. I told them no, of course, as I had seen much bigger buildings when I had travelled to Manhattan--or even Atlanta. I think people are slower in California.

The only problem with the clear superiority of life in the South is that so many damn Yankees and Left Coasters keep moving here and clogging up the roads. :rofl:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts