Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, the back was easy, and after sending the front of the car up and pulling it forwards/backwards a couple times, it's already down a half an inch.. Way cool.

The front?? The front?? Now, that's a different story.

Here's a picture I snapped as all hope faded (as well as daylight) for getting this done today. No biggie, I'll start again tomorrow.. First, am I looking at the correct bolt? Second, should I be turning it counter-clockwise? (I have read that that's the way to do it)..

Problem is -- THE THING IS IMPOSSIBLE TO MOVE!!! The rear end was easy. This front bolt will move about 1/8 of a turn before I need a break.. (Maybe I should go to the gym??? Heheh)..

I had to quit and get some clarification before moving on.. I didn't want to be messing with the wrong thing, or turning it the wrong way.. Maybe the whole problem is I didn't have a ratcheting wrench on me, just a normal ole' 10mm wrench..

Thanks in advance, guys.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Yes you are looking at the right bolt. Do these things first:
Lubricate the threads of the bolt.
Next get another jack or something under the spring and raise it to take tension off of the lower control arm.
Turn wrench counterclockwise(I think) on the bolt. You want to turn in the direction that moves the bolt up toward you. Turn it up all the way (until the rubber bushing touches the bottom of the spring and you are done.
Give the car about a week of normal driving before you take any measurements.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
fcalmes -

yeah, saw that - even printed it out - but ONLY the first one. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif Looking at the 3rd one now, it looks like my problem exactly. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

corvettedave - thanks!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All I have to say is --- DUH!!!

Really, I'm a computer guy, and I think I should stay away from cars altogether. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

So, this 'bushing' I was supposed to bring the spring next to, well.. I thought this 'bushing' was the only thing I could see - the plastic 'thingy' on the top of the spring on the bolt..

MAN - that sure is a long way to get that to be flush! I noticed as I started turning it, soon the turns had a very rubbery feel to them.. So, confused, I reached my hand under the spring - and I feel this big rubber thing.. DUHH!!! The bushing!

I grab a mirror, and look at the other side of the car (which I hadn't touched).. Doh. Now I see the gap I'm supposed to remove.. (Thanks, wifey, for the loan of your compact!)..

So, I tighten that side, LOOSEN the side I was working on, and get them just right.. Measured the exposed part of the bolt on top, and they're even.. Whoo hoo! Finally done! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

One day I'll learn. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

·
Registered
620 Posts
Dimer,
That is how we all learn to do things.
I forgot to tell you this though:
You must now pass this new found knowledge to another corvetter sometime in your life!
BTW: My new Z was built last week and is in transport now. Should be here in a few days.
No, I am not excited much!
Good luck with the car.
Dave

1 - 6 of 6 Posts