Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are my observations.

Sometimes putting the filter on too far will cause surging.

1. The filter DOES touch the air dam.
2. I have only very slight surging but only when its VERY cold out and no gas pedal, as soon as i even touch the pedal, it stops, again, its very slight and may not even be due to the Halltech.

FYI, I have not removed the screen.

I do site work for Jim and will ask him to reply to this post.

JC

·
Registered
109 Posts
When I first installed the TRIC, I used the template sent with the kit, and after the install the filter was very low.

I have since added the MAG and had to re-cut my shroud to make it fit. It turns out that the original template was a little off. Now my filter is higher than it was before.

The TRIC should not be pulling or pushing against the shroud. If it is, chances are that your hole is not cut right, and the filter is in the wrong position.

This caused me a problem once when I scraped a driveway a little too hard. The force on the filter pulled the stock air bridge off the rubber accordian. I didn't realize until I was driving home and the idle was surging whilst stopped in traffic, and the whole car was surging on the freeway. Basically the car was taking in air which wasn't being sensed by the MAF and was going crazy trying to compensate.

Just to point out, this was a problem caused by my install, and not by the product. I love my TRIC!

------------------
2001 Z06, Tag "EVIL Z06"
Torch red, solid black interior
!CAGS !BSM
NGK TR6 plugs & Taylor wires
Halltech Z06 TRIC + MAG
NX 150hp Wet Kit

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have the TRIC, MAG, MAF !screen, & ported TB. I have the surge at little to no throttle while driving. I haven't noticed surging at idle, but if there is, it is slight. I changed to a Granatelli MAF !screen and the same thing. I've talked with Jim and will install his black box when it's available. I have a stock MAF with screen, but don't want to try it, if the black box will cure the problem. The MAF fits extremely tight on the TRIC and I had to take the entire system off to put on the Granatelli. I don't want to go through that, if it's not necessary. Other than the very slight surge, I've had no problems, and my air dam scraps going in and out of my driveway. BTW, Jim & Chris are great to work with.

Rick

------------------

·
Registered
11 Posts
A bought the TRIC/COBRA about 2 months ago. The only problem I have with mine is keeping the tires in contact with the road. It rocks!I have never seen a air induction system that makes a seat of the pants difference like this system makes. Buy it, you will love the power increase.

------------------

·
Registered
391 Posts
Was about ready to go with Halltech, but now I have seen posts about idle problems. From a previous thread there is a post about the air dam impacting the filter. Never heard that before and I usually follow everything about air boxes. Would like your experience from Z06r's who have Halltech installed. Thanks.

------------------
Z06,Red,Modified Red.Stock for now.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Rapid, I've had my Halltech on for 3000 miles, with zero idling problems or anything like that.

-Sp

------------------
2001 QuickSilver Z06
Lowered,178 thermostat w/ fan controller, Ripper, !CAGS, B+B PRT w/ Speedway tips, TRIC one-piece with CF Cobra, GMS MAF, and TPIS long tubes
AOL IM: Speedshift

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
I have the Halltech Titanium TRIC and Red/Kevlar Black CF package on order. I talked with Jim Hall on the phone and through e-mails about the idle surge question that has come up.

My understanding after talking with Jim is that it does not seem to happen with all cars that have the Halltech Air-intake mods.

The idle surge problem seems to be attributable to the guys who have removed the MAF screen. Again though, the reports on both forums are inconclusive. Some guys reported a problem and others have said no problem exists. Bottom line is if you have a surge problem the Magic Box from Halltech supposedly eliminates the problem.

With regard to the Filter being damaged by the air dam. I saw that post as well and have written Jim asking about that. As I was concerned as well about the filter being damaged by the air dam moving since every time I go in and out of my driveway it scrapes the pavement and flexes back as I leave/enter.

[This message has been edited by MiZ06 (edited 01-29-2001).]

·
Registered
45 Posts
Had my Halltech / Tric with no screen, for 60 plus days and a bunch of miles including several 1/4 mile trips. NO problems of any kind! Car just hauls a**.

------------------
Tom E.--Brea, Ca--

2001 MY Z06 Halltech Tric & Magic / Ripper
Best ET 12.42 @ 115.97 2.1 60'

[This message has been edited by Tom_E (edited 01-29-2001).]

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tom, sigs here are limited to 15k total, please reduce the size/quality in order to reach this limit.

Some background, we reduced the server load by 200 meg a DAY (saves me money) and helps ease the burden on our modem users.

We also prefer horizontal sigs rather than vertical as it reduces the length of the post thereby making it less of a hassle to scroll through the thread.

Thanks for your cooperation!!

JC

[This message has been edited by N4C5S (edited 01-28-2001).]

·
Registered
19 Posts
Does your wedge filter prevent the air dam from rotating out of the way?what would happen if the air dam took a healhty shot ?
It seems to me the joint at the MAF & TRIC would seperate since the rubber allows only
so much tightening.Please advise, thank you

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mako:
LIKEITLIKEITLIKEIT!!! The Halltech system on my Z06 ROCKS!!!! No problems in any way. Do not be a ninny! Get a life and get a Halltech! Very good design and top quality people and materials.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------
C5 Z06

G

·
0 Posts
Since the stock Z06 intake does get cold air via the front screens, are the aftermarket units simply less restrictive filtering systems i.e. different filter unit? I don't see how you can get more cold air than with the stock unit while the car is moving. Guess I need some explanation on the differences and reasons aftermarket is better.

------------------
2001 Torch Red/Mod TR Z06
Zaino;Z06 exhaust plate;CAGS defeat;Z06 front/cargo mats;CAU decals;Valentine 1.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Bob:

I was wondering that myself. The location in front of the radiator, and above the air dam, is probably optimal, but the only way to really tell, is to dyno a car before adding the high effiency filter,add a hi per filter, dyno, then dyno again with a Halltech, or Vortex to see the HP gains.

------------------
Quicksilver Z06

·
Registered
89 Posts
LIKEITLIKEITLIKEIT!!! The Halltech system on my Z06 ROCKS!!!! No problems in any way. Do not be a ninny! Get a life and get a Halltech! Very good design and top quality people and materials.

------------------
Blk Z06, Halltech Cold Air and Ported TB, DRM Top End, Chromed Wheels, Tint, Nakamichi/MB Qt/PPI/Fosgate Stereo, etc.

·
Registered
65 Posts
It is my understanding that the screens on the ZO6 provide cooling to the front brakes and have nothing to do with cold air induction. The air that enters from underneath the car hits the air dam and is directed upward to cool the radiator. I believe some of this same air makes it into the small opening on the stock air box. This isn't very efficient IMHO. All the cold air systems work on the idea of getting more and cooler air. This list usually refers to them as bottom breathers. Any of these, IMHO, will provide cooler air and thus additional horsepower. I personally went with the Halltech because I saw it perform at the drag strip, it is located lower to the cooler air down low, and is more open for getting more air even without the benfit of the ram air effect. I had a highly modified Z28. I had a Ram Air scoop setup on it that picked up the air down low and directed it through a modified air intake setup with K&N filter. It worked pretty good and provided additional horsepower. Then for convience sake, and because the scoop sometimes acted like a vacuum cleaner picking up road debris, I went with the K&N FIPK. This was the biggest SOTP bolt-on modification that I did. The Halltech is similar to that setup, only better in that it also does provide ram air at speed. As far as the Halltech magic box, and it's benefits, you can read about it on the Halltech GP on this forum. Hope this helps.

Rick

------------------

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have before and after dynoes on the same dyno, less than a week apart. With the Halltech system I picked up 12rwhp and 18rwtrq on a static dyno with an even stronger correction factor the second time. The car feels a bit stronger now beyond the 352-355 rw #s. I definitely recommend the change as it is a substantial improvement over stock

------------------
Blk Z06, Halltech Cold Air and Ported TB, DRM Top End, Chromed Wheels, Tint, Nakamichi/MB Qt/PPI/Fosgate Stereo, etc.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I have installed the full Halltech tric sys + coolant bypass + ported TB--maf screen left in place per Jim Halls' recommendation. No surging of any sort. Also have been reassured by Jim that where the filter rides is safe and secure. Halltech is quality stuff. I wouldn't hesitate to buy the system

------------------

·
Registered
292 Posts
I looked at my Z06 and it appears the front screens do provide the air to the air box. The holes next to the screens provide the air to the front brakes...not the screens. When the car is moving the air via the screens will be just as good as the air via the air dam to the radiator.
The efficiency of the filter must be the only reason to change to aftermarket. I think?

------------------
Zaino;CAGS defeat;Lloyds Z06 front/cargo mats;CAU decals;Z06 exhaust plate;Valentine 1;BP Al Gas Pedal;power antenna;Dynamat Super interior.

[This message has been edited by BOBSZ06 (edited 01-31-2001).]

·
Registered
292 Posts
Mako, I believe the dyno numbers. The question is, what is the improve due to? On a dyno the cold air is not an issue as much as while the car is moving. It appears the filter in the aftermarket units simply allows for more air flow thru it compared to the stock unit. The higher air flow leads to the improved HP gains. Are we sacrificing anything with less efficient air filters?

------------------
Zaino;CAGS defeat;Lloyds Z06 front/cargo mats;CAU decals;Z06 exhaust plate;Valentine 1;BP Al Gas Pedal;power antenna;Dynamat Super interior.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm waiting for my H-tric, and wondering what any of you are experincing with fuel economy. Is it Up/ubb/smilies/smile.gif Or Is it Down/ubb/smilies/frown.gif

------------------
2001 Yellow Z06 W/black and red int., 2000 pewter FRC, 1967 marina blue 400/427 coupe. NCM Lifetime Mem. #736And as soon as I can figure out pictures I'll include them :)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts