Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few members have criticized our methods and tactics in providing dyno information on our manufactured products and other products we sell. That all ends today. We have added 30.4 RWHP and 26.9 ft. lbs torque to our 2002 with the Halltech T-1 package.

I did not want to dyno today due to rain, but I have scheduled header installation tomorrow and would never be able to decipher how much power came from what if I did not dyno today. I mentioned in another thread that I felt that we had another 20 RWHP. It turned our to be 14.2 RWHP over our best T-1 SideWinder only pull. Darren had to ask two young girls there to dyno there rice-burner to wait, and they were gratious enough to cooperate.

Rain, oil at 190-degrees, water at 180-degrees. 69.3 degrees; 29.92 in Hg. Lousey correction factor of .98 our 2002 Z06 made
381.2 RWHP/364.1 RWT corrected and as much as 390.8 RWHP/373.4 RWT actual. I will post the original best stock pull we got .vs T-1 SideWinder that same day, .vs our T-1 package today.

Corrected RWHP SAE .97 - .98


Actual RWHP Horsepower and Torque



I usually do not post or care about actual numbers, but since we are dynoing the headers next Wednesday, I thought viewing before and after in corrected and actual would be useful for mod comparison data. Just for the record: The original best stock pull had a actual 349.8RWHP/336.2 torque .vs todays best actual of 390.8 RWHP/373.4 RWT or an actual gain of 41 RWHP and 37.2 RW Torque.

Our T-1 Package mod list in its entirety: Halltech T-1 SideWinder w/ our Z1000 PS filter; Halltech Race Ported Throttle Body; Halltech TBCB Hose; Magnecor KV85 Plug Wires; Halltech AFR Controller (A/F ratio unknown-but 1/2 click from stock; RC Engineering 310 cc/min @43psi balanced blueprinted Lucas Injectors; Halltech 'Insolator' Heat Shield under the radiator molding; 178-degree thermostat, and that's it.

The one missing item was the NGK TR55 plugs. We have not installed them yet, since tomorrow the plugs come out when we install the headers.

The one additional item, that obviously made the cut is the AFR Controller. It is a bit pricey, but infinately adjustable for trimming NOS, Turbos, or superchargers. If we had a half a day to play with the trims, and a better day to dyno, I'm sure a few more ponies lie in wait. One additional feature is when we add the headers, what happens to the a/f ratio? This controller can dial it in. They are $499.00 to the forum. Ouch!, I know. This item will obviously be optional in the T-1 package because of the cost, but where the hell did 14.2 RWHP and 7.1 ft. lbs torque come from?

Since our dyno of 367 (T-1 SideWinder Intake only) we added the Magnecor Wires, thermostat, heat shield, injectors (dynoed at zero increase on their own), ported throttle body, and the AFR.

Our testing has shown consistant 4 to 5 RWHP with our ported TB. The wires, heat shield and thermostat simply allow the engine to go Army, (Be the best you can be) by controlling lost hp to heat.

Just for the record. We are at 448.5 BHP (flywheel) with these mods, and 428.3 lbs. ft. flywheel torque. Our goal is to hit 405 RWHP (corrected) with bolt ons only. (476 flywheel)

Jim Hall
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
309 Posts
Jim,

Those are truely awesome numbers :eek: Congrats :D And....thanks again for posting your numbers with the honesty and integrity for which you are known and respected.

Mark
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,018 Posts
Very impressive Jim. Those HP numbers are up in Viper land. If I go under the hood with mods, you are entering the range I would need to justify the effort and expense.

Now if you just had an installer in this part of the country. Or maybe I should start thinking about a vacation to LA next spring.

Pat :cheers:
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
MUFFLERBEARING said:
Very impressive Jim. Those HP numbers are up in Viper land. If I go under the hood with mods, you are entering the range I would need to justify the effort and expense.

Now if you just had an installer in this part of the country. Or maybe I should start thinking about a vacation to LA next spring.

Pat :cheers:
Go West young man. We're ready to duplicate this over and over again; we have no Aces up our sleeve or tricks unreported. We try to keep everything as honest as my memory can back me up.

In my near fatal C5 total loss in early 2000, my 99 C5 (no active handling) came unglued rounding a cloverleaf onramp doing about 50 MPH. The car actually broke the then plastic anti-sway bar links, sending the car to the left and then to the right and up a 66-degree embankment wedging the entire car underneath the overpass, crushing everything. It missed my then 12 year old son, but my head took the cement road head on (no pun) and one week in the hospital recovering. Since then the doctors tell me I have lost some ability to remember things. I think its just old age creeping up. Now what was your question?

Anyway be careful out there.
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
EBZ06 said:
Jim,
I've got head work scheduled for late January. Tony (Tony's Corvette Shop) was recommending a reprogram. Will the AFR controller work instead?
Regards,
Jerry:cheers:
You can definately use the AFR. Head work will mandate injectors if the work is done on a 2002 for sure. They are good to 500+ HP. The amount of trim we used was very minimal. We'll share the trim setting with all of our customers. What is cool, is the company that makes these is developing a laptop program, that will allow dynamic a/f trimming with graphs, tables and many cool features. For now, this AFR Calibrator is actually better than programming as far as the a/f ratio goes, but falls short of the ability to eliminate CAGS, Up the Rev Limiter, and turn the fan switches on at lower temps. We plan to develop an inexpensive timing controller that will allow the Z06 to run in the most agressive timing curve for best performance. This device will be worth a couple more ponies and will be fairly easy to install. I just need to complete the packaging. Last, we will have a fan switch, simple, inexpensive and easy to turn on and off at the drags, dyno or anytime.

One more point. We have had the AFR Controller for over 2 years, and have used it on our 99 and 2000 LS1. We never promoted it due to its cost .vs results. Of the 14+ HP gain, 5 or so was from the ported throttle body.

We dynoed in November with a custom Halltech flow-ported BBK 80 mm TB and actually lost 4 RWHP against our stock throttle body. Bigger is not always better. Especially when it goes from 80mm back down to 75.5 at the mouth of the intake manifold, which should have increased velocity, but did nothing in the real world.

Jim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
779 Posts
Looking good!!!
.
I hope I get 17rwhp out of the T1 with my Z. One of my friends let me borrow his a couple of weeks ago and I got only 12rwhp:(
at the dyno...Well, I should be getting one myself next week and I will let it run on the car for a while except for 30 minutes like I did at the dyno....Maybe then I get at least 15..that would be good..:)
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
NC_EB_Z06 said:
Looking good!!!
.
I hope I get 17rwhp out of the T1 with my Z. One of my friends let me borrow his a couple of weeks ago and I got only 12rwhp:(
at the dyno...Well, I should be getting one myself next week and I will let it run on the car for a while except for 30 minutes like I did at the dyno....Maybe then I get at least 15..that would be good..:)
I think when you install this on your car and run it on the street or the track you will be very pleased.

When the air starts rushing through that zo6 grill on the drivers side as you drive the car you will see an even better benefit than on a dyno...

Enjoy and happy holidays!

JB
 

·
Z06 Power Adder Authority
Joined
·
3,265 Posts
Halltech said:


You can definately use the AFR. Head work will mandate injectors if the work is done on a 2002 for sure. They are good to 500+ HP. The amount of trim we used was very minimal. We'll share the trim setting with all of our customers. What is cool, is the company that makes these is developing a laptop program, that will allow dynamic a/f trimming with graphs, tables and many cool features. For now, this AFR Calibrator is actually better than programming as far as the a/f ratio goes, but falls short of the ability to eliminate CAGS, Up the Rev Limiter, and turn the fan switches on at lower temps. We plan to develop an inexpensive timing controller that will allow the Z06 to run in the most agressive timing curve for best performance. This device will be worth a couple more ponies and will be fairly easy to install. I just need to complete the packaging. Last, we will have a fan switch, simple, inexpensive and easy to turn on and off at the drags, dyno or anytime.

Jim
Jim,

As someone who has modified a number of late model FI Fords with some decent success, I can vouch for a product that gives you this kind of flexibility in tuning.

I would think the Z06 is like any other car. Once you get pretty radical, you're always going to benefit from tweaking the programming. Something like the AFR Controller sounds awesome.

$499 is not outrageous IMHO, but I've been working with computer controlled FI for awhile, so I guess sticker shock isn't a factor for me anymore. ;)

Can you offer this with the ability to upgrade it in the future at little or no cost? Sounds like some neat upgrades are just on the horizon!

Thanks for your excellent documentation here. Best of luck with the header install/dyno. Can't wait to see what that does. Which brand are you going with?
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Headers Installed Today-Initial Impression

2.5 Hours later, we've got a sound like I have never heard from a Z06.

More intake and especially the exhaust note changed. When the car backs down, it sounds like a race car.

It rained all day, so no way to judge the difference, but one initial impression was the torque we had, disappered, which told me that there was a lean condition. Whenever this happens, I know there is more power coming from the mod.

Here's why: If a mod creates a temporary lean condition in the stoichiometric trims, 1-19, they will adjust very quickly back to 14.6:1. The beauty of this is that the new 14.6:1 ratio started with more cfm airflow, and as soon as the trims added fuel to correct, new Hp and torque!

It took about 25 miles of relearn and one cooldown for the LT Trims to record the new tables. Definately more torque!

We'll see Wednesday whether the new power puts us at 390+

Jim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,384 Posts
Jim, on the AFR controller, is it as simple as set the Low, Mid, High, and Accel, control knobs to a set position based on my mods
(T-1, Headers if all proves good with your tests, and injectors) or is a scan needed to see exactly what my car's AFR's are?
In other words do all stock Z06's or cars with just the T1 have the same AFR's that would allow you to have a preset that would work with ALL cars with the same mods?

Also, any pics of the Halltech 'Insolator' Heat Shield under the radiator molding?

Thanks for giving my dollars a nice home:D

:cheers:
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
fyrcaptain said:
Jim, on the AFR controller, is it as simple as set the Low, Mid, High, and Accel, control knobs to a set position based on my mods
(T-1, Headers if all proves good with your tests, and injectors) or is a scan needed to see exactly what my car's AFR's are?
In other words do all stock Z06's or cars with just the T1 have the same AFR's that would allow you to have a preset that would work with ALL cars with the same mods?

Also, any pics of the Halltech 'Insolator' Heat Shield under the radiator molding?

Thanks for giving my dollars a nice home:D

:cheers:
The best way to approach this is to dyno where there is a wideband O2 sensor that can monitor the beginning mid and end of WOT.

The only change I made was to High, and then only a half a click.
Today, the car actually seemed sluggish compared to the roaring power Friday, with the new headers onboard.

I set all trims to baseline, as if the AFR was not onboard and the power picked up dramatically. What this tells me is the additional fuel I pulled out for the T-1 package, is needed now with the headers onboard.

This is the real beauty of this mod. If I go to the dyno, with a half a day to dyno, I can dial in the trims until I get the best numbers. Remember, when you richen WOT, you will see more torque on the pull. When you back off the fuel for better atomization and approach the high end of the WOT a/f ratio, you will gain HP, usually at the expense of a little torque.

Since this unit goes onboard, you can set the High trim according to the driving condition your in.

With our injectors, there is absolutely no reason to touch the low, and mid or accel trims. One knotch rich and it will code.

Since the dyno explores the Open Loop WOT fuel cell only, high is all you need to worry about.

Jim
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top