Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We lost. Three hours of labor and $225.00 of dyno testing on us, at least for now. John will be adding the AFRC and report back. There is no reason that he will not make 384 RWHP or more, since his mods are exactly what we had on our Z06. The AFRC really makes a difference.

We're not through, but John Wu, was gratious enough to drive down from the Bay area this weekend to take us up on our challenge.

Here's where we stand:

John's best stock dyno was strong, at 354 RWHP. He then drove to Hungtington Beach, where we installed the T-1 Induction sans the AFR Calibrator. I was hoping that this combo was make the numbers we hoped for, but it didn't duplicate the Halltech T-1 SideWinder package numbers without the AFRC. At redline (6500) RPM, the T-1 SideWinder was plus 14.5 RWHP up on the best stock pull (362.6 T-1 vs. 348.1 Stock) but only 10.3 RWHP at peak. 364.8 vs. 354.5 . Torque was 9.2 ft. lbs more than stock at peak and over 14 ft. lbs. at 4200 rpm.

The actual HP made at the rear wheels was over 375.7RWHP an d 366 ft. lbs torque, but the correction factor of .97 brought the numbers down.

In fact the numbers were dead nuts on three other dynos done with the T-1 Intake alone. We dynoed at 367 RWHP; one customer at 363; another at 365, and John did 364.8 RWHP.

Why then the T-1 package cost? Let's examine why:

The first part of the kit is the T-1 Intake, in Carbon Fiber, and soon in ABS Composite. (16.2 RWHP/20 ft. lbs. torque)

The plug wires, NGKs plugs promote better spark, which normally prevents misfires (dropouts on the dyno) but no power difference.

The thermostat, 'insolator', TBCB promote cooler water and induction temps for more consistant pulls.

The injectors bring the Long Term Fuel Trims back to baseline and run at 80% duty cycle, rather than 95% to 100% duty with more airflow found in the T-1. No HP just from adding injectors.

The key is the AFRC. We also dynoed at 363 to 365 with the full T-1 package, until we added the AFRC. We then jumped to 381.2 RWHP overnight.

We would have seen the same dyno numbers or more without the injectors. Once he installs the AFRC, the injectors will do their thing. If someone wants to install the injectors without the AFRC, we recommend the 270cc/min size rather than the larger 310cc/min. size. The 270cc/min are still on the small side, but will require no further a/f ratio trimming. We prefer the 310s due to the additional headroom for new mods. The TRIC STinger-R setup will definately need the 310cc/min units.

Time did not permit installation and dynoing testing with the AFRC yesterday, but John got the unit, and will be dyno testing it from his end. I would rather see him drive back to R&D some weekend, but I'm sure I'll still collect for the installation.

Thanks John.

Jim Hall

·
Registered
397 Posts
This is exactly the reason you are such a welcome addition to this forum, Jim. You tell it like it is, even when the story isn't as good as you'd hoped.

Its that kind of honesty and straight forward talk that will earn you new customers as well as plenty of repeat business.

And hey... those numbers still ain't so shabby! ;)

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
I agree, straight and honest information. :cheers:

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Jim,

I'm about 2 weeks away from the necessary pazoozas to get my induction system. Like I said before... The way you post and keep us informed makes it so that I wouldn't go anywhere else. Plus ... the fact that it does work well doesn't hurt.:cheers:

Thanks,

Dan Farmer

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
I just ordered a MAF Translator to go with my T1. I think based on what Jim has already proven that leaning the fuel trims out slightly is the key to making these intake systems roar.

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
JIM

I've said it before and it bears repeating...You are to be commended for your honest and candid postings.

You have won over more people, by far, than your naysayers. I am not a customer at this time, but you can bet I will be in the future. I look forward to reading all of your postings.

Keep up the good honest professional work that you do. Oh yeah...be sure to take care of yourself too.

Thanks again for your posts.

Charlie

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Jim,
Just curious.....how much of a re-learn did you do after the mods? the reason I asked is because it seemed like a week of driving passed before I felt any SOTP diff. after installing the T1 in my 01.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
One footnote on the TRIC

The MAFT should work as well as our AFRC. We can order these for you. Check with Pam.

The TRIC has a new filter onboard, which really sucks! On the way home, without the help of the AFRC, which we disconnected to give to John, the computer started relearning. The new airflow from the positioning of the filter created very hot water temps. (If you are wondering, the TRIC was "offline" on our pulls with the AFRC, but we tried several settings. Those changes caused strange dyno numbers with the TRIC due to the high flow of the fans. We do NOT recommend use of the AFRC at this time with the TRIC until we dial in the a/f ratios)

This happens when "New Air" preceeds the computer's lag of new fuel to compensate and bring bacak to 14.6:1. The performance was the strongest I have ever felt from the Z, within 10 miles.

By the time I reached Huntington Beach, the water temps had settled back to 180 and the car felt like it gained 10 more HP.

Jim

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Programming vs. the A/F RC

VettTheRipper said:
Jim,
Just curious.....how much of a re-learn did you do after the mods? the reason I asked is because it seemed like a week of driving passed before I felt any SOTP diff. after installing the T1 in my 01.
I drove John's car for about 30 minutes. The idle learn session is a must. What folks do not realize, is the butterfly idle position is critical since it is position 0 in the PCM. Wherever it starts out, affects the other 19 throttle positions and the corresponding fuel cells for each position.

This only needs to be done once. Then only if the battery loses power or is disconnected, or.....you add other mods that may affect the a/f ratios. Even exhaust mods.

John then drove the car about 40 miles to the dyno.

There cannot be a loss of HP or torque from driving relearn. That is impossible. If "new" air is introduced to the engine, the MAF and 02s recalibrate all trims right back to 14.6:1. In fact, the first impression with new air, is a spongy loss of torque, until the fuel trims catch up. If the new air is permanent, as in the case of an induction system, the stoichiometric trims 1-19 dial in new fuel and there is automatically commensurate new power.

Where the problem lies, is fuel cell 22 (WOT) which is the only trim looked at and recorded on the dyno. It is not a closed loop trim (No O2 feedback), but it is already a fuel enrichment code from the factory. If the PCM has had to correct the closed loop trims by too much, some of that correction goes to cell 22, screwing it up.

The secret is to program the PCM 1-19 trims back to 0. That allows cell 22 to be consistently accurate. The larger injectors actually bring the trims back down from +18 to +20% (amount of added fuel) back down to baseline or below.

Programming is not as accurate as the MAFT or AFRC, since it is really just a guess. Once the PCM is burned, you are stuck. There is no way to add new components without going back to the programmer to reburn the EEPROM. With the other methods, you can disconnect them prior to going in for service and no one is the wiser.

Jim

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
The kit pictured looks as excellent as all of your products Jim.

The numbers look quite good and definately within "earshot" of the stated goal.

Not many put their money where their mouth is on these kind of deals. Actually unheard of in my experience.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Honesty is THE best policy!!!

Thanks Jim!!

Looking forward to hearing new developements with the AFRC and / or MAFT

:cheers:

·
Registered
514 Posts
Very...

...gutsy post Jim.

You've earned MY respect.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Jim
I bought just the plain T-1 from you over the christmas holiday. It's cold here in Ct. so I won"t take mycar out on road for several more weeks. I'm comcerned about putting this unit on my car with all the "lean" e-mails. I can't afford new injectors. I have a 02 and I know you have only had about 3 complaints or code problems. Pls advise. Thks Raymond

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
rayman said:
Jim
I bought just the plain T-1 from you over the christmas holiday. It's cold here in Ct. so I won"t take mycar out on road for several more weeks. I'm comcerned about putting this unit on my car with all the "lean" e-mails. I can't afford new injectors. I have a 02 and I know you have only had about 3 complaints or code problems. Pls advise. Thks Raymond
Your car will not run lean with the T-1. The PCM always returns the trims back to 14.6:1 a/f ratio no matter what. If the amount of fuel required to do that exceeds GMs threshold for expected new air, the code trips. It means the computer is working like a smoke detector and causes no problems.

GM never expected any intake mod to require more than 23% additional pulse width to correct the fuel cell.

The codes are rare, easy to fix, and mean you have just added 16 RWHP!

I have never seen any codes with any mod I have ever done, which leads me to believe they are installation releated, or maybe the idle learn (Very Important) procedure was not followed.

Jim

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Thanks for the honesty Jim.... the previous responses indicate that it is much appreciated. :cool:

I will be heading to the dyno in a couple of weeks with at least one '01 and a couple of us '02's with your T-1. I'll be sure to post the results here..... I think we will be happy. :)

·
Registered
191 Posts
Jim, I did get 2 "lean codes" after installing the T-1 intake and filter. I did the idle relearn and the installation went perfect. After installing I went out and got right on it before the PCM had a lot of time for updating. I used Ease to reset the codes and have not thrown any codes since the first couple of hours since the install. Last weekend I installed the SVO 30# injectors and a MAFT and it made a world of difference. My car felt much stronger. I will get to a dyno and try and post some results.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Jim,thanks for posting results..I have a T-1 Sidewinder intake i installed aprox i month ago..car runs strong,( no codes)also did the idle relearn and still have the stock injectors,great product:cheers:

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Jim.....And you were gonna leave.....thanks for the honesty.You are OK in my book.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Jim,

A standup guy!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts