Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just noticed something very interesting. I have a Halltech Sidewinder on my '02 Z06, and I have noticed that the airbridge (MAG) is very hot when I shut the car off. I recently cut a hole in my shroud and installed the TRIC. Wheelspin indicates that the car was making more power w/ the TRIC, but I also noticed that the airbridge was cool to the touch even though my water was almost 230 when I shut the car down. Presumably, the colder air (Sidewinder gets it from under the hood, unlike the TRIC) cooled tha airbridge, so more power.

Then I reinstalled the Sidewinder, ran the car hard for 30 mins, shut down, and noticed that the airbridge was cooler than before w/o the hole for the TRIC. Looks like the hole for the TRIC lowered the underhood temp enough to cool the airbridge. Still not as cool as w/ the TRIC, but way cooler than no hole at all.

Then I noticed that a thick rubber radiator hose runs right below the part of the airbridge that connects to the throttle body. That was the part of the airbridge that was still hot.

I wonder if insulating this hose would add more power by cooling the airbridge even further, and reducing underhood temps. This hose was smokin' hot when I touched it.

Have not dyno'd again, but Sidewinder feels much stronger than before w/ the hole for the TRIC cut in the shroud.

Looks like if you want to draw air from under the hood, it is best to find a way to reduce under hood temps.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Bob, perhaps one approach you might consider is to change your stock tstat to a 172 dgree tstat plus harness kit to kick one of your electric fans on once temps reach 190 degrees. I recently installed this kit which I puchased from Nate at Extreme Performance. Good price, great service from Nate. Also, the kit really does work - water temps down by as much as 20 degrees (218 to 198) while sitting in traffic, and right around 180 on the road. Surely this would also help underhood temps a bit.

BTW, noticed your dyno results in your sig - pretty close to mine!

·
Registered
837 Posts
BLEUBYU said:
... a 172 dgree tstat ... I recently installed this kit... right around 180 on the road....
When your water temp is at a steady 180 while cruising, what is the oil temp? Is the oil temp reduced proportionately with the water temp?

Thanks in advance,

Ranger

·
Registered
837 Posts
Water temp and oil temp

EBZ06 said:
Ranger,
I have the same kit from Nate and yes the oil temp is down significantly.
I'm kinda feeling my way here.

But I've read that at the drags the engine will make more power if the oil is at or a little above 210 degrees. Now the water temp should be lower. Say 170 give or take. for max power. The question is how can you achieve both at the same time.

I must idle my car for a while to get the oil to 210. Once achieved, I can run the heater & defroster at 90 degree setting with the fan at max and bring my water temp down to 192-194. If I had the lower thermostat (eg. 172), would my oil temp then drop down below 200?

It may be that it doesn't matter if I'm traction limited anyway. But HP=trap speed.

Any thoughts???

Ranger

G

·
Best dyno pulls

were with oil temps above 210, and water at 195. The oil is not even a its rated viscosity below 210 degrees.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Isnt the water made to cool the engine + oil. So if you cool the water your always going to cool the oil.. I think the stock temp is good for drag racing, but maybe a lower thermostat for track racing?

G

·
Corvette Bob

We shipped our prototype filter to you today for the T1. Our new race filters will be in on Monday or Tuesday.

I think your going to like the results. A lot.

Jim

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Ranger, to get back to the original subject of this thread - temps, i will defer to EB06's experience re oil temps, but i will be monitoring mine to see what the readings are. One thing about the TSTAT kit, I suppose if it gets the temps too cool you could unplug the cooling harness from the module on the side of the tstat - at least i guess ya could. It gets pretty damn hot around here in the summer, and I don't want to see 230 degree water temps in traffic in the summer months..

·
Registered
420 Posts
I have the integrated 172/178 TSTAT ready to go in my car, but started thinking this exact thing. Wondering if the oil temp will be too low for best performance.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Key reality is if your at dragstrip (race track is different story) how long inbetween runs and are you icing inatke.
After you drive to dragstrip (assume you don't tow) it takes a long long long time to cool down your oil to such a level that 1-2 minutes of running doesn't get it flowing just fine.
I used to drag race for years and we pushed are calls all the way to the box and then started them. By time you got to line after burnout the oil temp was fine and coolant temp was still low.
Also early kickon of fans (185 or so) helps keep it cool as you stage.
Header wrap and hose wrap will help but if you really want to remove heat take out the hood insulation.
You would be amazed at the difference that makes.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I've read an article about oil and they said that the ideal temp. for the oil in your engine should be around 200-205 degree F. They said that the oil need to be hot enough to burn off the bubbles or something like that (I can't remember the exact term that they used). Too cool of oil temp. is not good for your engine. Oil temp. is usually 20 degree more than your engine coolant temp.

I have to find this article again. I had always enjoyed the 160 degree thermostat and temp. control from Hypertech on my LT1. I was going to put the 178 degree thermostat and the fan controller in my Z until I read this article. I too hate to see my coolant temp. climbed up to 230 sitting in traffic. I'm just going to get the fan controller and set it where it will turned on at around 205. I think this is best with the original thermostat.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Took my Z out last night and pay attention to the oil temp. gauge on the DIC. For highway cruise (65MPH), oil temp. is around 198 degree F. Out side temp. was ~55 degree F. Oil temp. is around 201-210 for city driving. I think some one post that at the track is where the oil temp. is 20 degree difference than the coolant temp.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts