Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the Halltech Sidewinder is actually adding 24 rwhp to the Z06? I dont know if I want to do the tric/mag or just the sidewinder. Im a very inexperienced mechanic and dont know if I should be cutting a hole in the shroud. Do you have any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
SL, the shroud cutting is very simple, all the systems that requiring cutting of the shroud give you a templet that makes it easy.

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Adding 24 rwhp to a Z06 with any aftermarket airbox is very hard to do./phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif I see jim is planning on testing his sidewinder, tric and a vortex on his new Z06 very shortly.

The shroud cuts like butter really. I used a utility knife when putting on my Vortex. I have seen folks use a 'border' on the tric though, a piece of foam or stripping in black, that surrounds the hole. Looks good that way.

RG

http://www.exit28motorsports.com

1 877 966 8676

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
Indeed, the only hard part is actually cutting the plastic. Suggest you use a dremel rather than cutting though....MUCH easier....and it comes out cleaner.

Also, ask Jim if he knows where to get that edge stripping to make the cut look more professinal....I need to do this but got lazy....

JC

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Has anyone seen any reports on the difference in rwhp between a cold air box as opposed to the larger filter without the box? Since the grille is open, I am wondering how much you gain by cutting the hole and putting the filter in the box. Experienced feedback is appreciated.

·
Registered
362 Posts
N4C5S said:
Indeed, the only hard part is actually cutting the plastic. Suggest you use a dremel rather than cutting though....MUCH easier....and it comes out cleaner.

Also, ask Jim if he knows where to get that edge stripping to make the cut look more professinal....I need to do this but got lazy....

JC
The slip on "edging" is avaiable at any upholstrey supply shop--many motorhome/van outlets carry it to.

H

·
0 Posts
The best we could pull out was +18.6 HP & 18.35 Torque at the flywheel today. Our website reflects the number. This was on our 2002 Z06.

The 24 was all we had from dyno testing on two 2000s with our SideWinder. They have the additional benefit of our MAF ends.

Jim

H

·
0 Posts
We will be testing is as soon as our 2002 MAFs arrive. They are on restraint by GM right now, but we do not want to use the 2001.

The 2001 with screen removal presents challanges to the O2 sensor closed loop cycle that bring Long Term Trims beyond the PCMs built in threshold, which can lead to lean codes.

Our Magic Box will not work with the new MAFs, so we are approaching the MAF from a completely different angle.

Stay tuned, but please be patient.

Our TRIC T-1 package will be offered by Labor Day, and will have components that work in harmony on the dyno.

Jim Hall

H

·
0 Posts
TRIC T-1

We were to begin tomorrow, but there are some folks that have questioned our stock numbers. Why? Because they expected more and so did I.

I have decided to put the stock system back on and do further testing. I doubt that the results will be more than 1 to 2 RWHP more or less than reported, which could result from the weather.

I know that the correction factors are there to take care of this but, we tested at Sea Level (best altitude other than the Grand Canyon) with about 80 degree temps and some humidity.
The correction factor could not be faulted since it was 1.00.

We are going to put the Octane level up with a dose of 100 mixed with what's in the tank, just to prevent pinging.

Part of the problem, as stated by another member, might be the 91 Octane we now have (was 92). I never screw with the gas, since this could alter our numbers. Too much Octane over ideal octane will actually decrease torque and hp. Proven on the dyno!

Spark knock could account for why the hotter water pulls out 6 or more hp, but my curve with the TRIC was dead on with only one small dip. The SideWinder took a major dip at about 6000 rpm.

Results of the T-1 will have to wait a couple more days.

Jim

1 - 13 of 13 Posts