Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Guys,

Received a Halltech Sidewinder setup about two weeks ago from Jim. This was ordered for a customer's car. (I work on Turbo Buicks, Ford Power Strokes, and Corvettes as a sideline hobby helping out the local guys. So if your in the Chicago area and need some help, let me know!!!!) I do it because I like too, not because I have too. Anyway package arrived right on time as promised. Contents were packed with care and well wrapped. After unboxing I found the quality of the items to be exceptional as many have stated before. Unfortunatly, our friends at UPS crushed the box a bit and damaged the air filter pleats. I sent an email to Halltech explaining the situation and bam 2 days later a new airfilter arrives at my shop. Thanks Jim, great customer service too.

Ok, now onto the install. Customer brought car by the shop. I had everything unboxed ready to install. Had a stop watch ready to go too. Lets see if Jim's claim of a 12 minute install is accurate. OK, loosen up factory hose clamps, unhook the factory air box, unhook the mas connector, pull everything off. Side red hose clamp in proper position on air bridge, slide it on Throttle body and slightly tighten clamps to hold in place. Remove MAS from stock setup. Allign properly on sidewinder 90 degree elbow (that I would say took the longest time, gettting it lined up perfectly) Tightend clamp snugly, then added air filter on other end of elbow. (I taped the bubble wrap on the air filter even though it was damaged from UPS, did not want to cause further damage.) I then slide the whole unit in place. Turned the air filter on the elbow to the proper angle, slid the MAS into the air bridge, alligned everything and did a final tighten on the clamps. Hooked the connector to the MAS and installed the hose into the air filter. Looks good. Stop the watch and found it was installed in 9 minutes and 25 seconds.

Now for a test drive. Let the car idle for 5 minutes as directed. Then off we go. No hesitation and no surging at any RPM. Car came back 5 days later, with about 200 more miles on the car. I took it for a drive and still no surging here.

This sidewinder was in stalled on a 2002 Z06 with approx 2000 miles on the odometer

Joe Harrington

·
Premium Member
20,626 Posts
Great Time!

So how is the sotp feeling? Faster throttle response?

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Mike

Doncha' just love it??.

GNX, way to go dudeski.........glad to have you around helping the guy's out.......a rare breed these days.......thanks for them........;)

G

·
Sale on the T-1 Package-$1,599.00 for until 12-25

We are overstocked on our T-1 Induction System, and want to offer this complete system at $100.00 off beginning today through Christmas.

$1599.00 Sale Price must be ordered online at www.CorvetteC5.com

T-1 Kit includes:

This kit includes the following: Halltech's T-1 SideWinder Carbon Fiber Intake w/ Halltech's Z1000 Race Filter; Halltech's TBCB Hose and Vacuum Hose; Halltech's Race ported throttle body(exchange price; Magnecor KV85 Plug Wires; NGK TR55 plugs; Halltech's 'Insolator' Heat Shield; RC Engineering 30# Racing Fuel Injectors

You must register once as a forum member with your user name. The kit price will then show up at the discounted price, when you are logged in.

Don't forget to logout when finished.

There are three of us ready to fill orders immediately, with your choice of UPS delivery service.

Best Regards,

Jim Hall

·
Registered
132 Posts
Jim, plugs & wires ? Why do I need those ? My car is brand new. What about a kit with just the T-1, hoses, TB, and injectors. ps. How hard to install new injectors ? Thanks.:)

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Re: Great Time!

MSiska said:
So how is the sotp feeling? Faster throttle response?
Wondering the same... fill us in Joe. :)

BTW... sorry we haven't been able to hook up and chat on the phone. Looking forward to talking with you.

Chris

·
Registered
136 Posts
T-1 PACKAGE?

Jim,
I'm glad to see your package is so comprehensive........ I was considering the T-1 intake, but this package looks great!
What can we expect out of our 02 Z06's? Do we also need to re-map with a maft & dyno?

Bob :D :D

G

·
MOUNTAINWOLF said:
Jim, plugs & wires ? Why do I need those ? My car is brand new. What about a kit with just the T-1, hoses, TB, and injectors. ps. How hard to install new injectors ? Thanks.:)
TR55 plugs are the best for the C5, unless you use Nitrous. With the Magnecor wires and plugs, no misfires. Our testing showed sever knock retard and misfires (not many) with the stock plugs. Three had melting electrodes due to poor fuel in CA (91 Octane)

The fuel injectors must be professionally installed to prevent a fire. The oi-rings must be coated with motor oil before installation or they will not plug in. It is actually quite easy after the first time.

Jim

G

·
Re: T-1 PACKAGE?

Rwdyryd said:
Jim,
I'm glad to see your package is so comprehensive........ I was considering the T-1 intake, but this package looks great!
What can we expect out of our 02 Z06's? Do we also need to re-map with a maft & dyno?

Bob :D :D
We dynoed at 369 RWHP 357.5 RWT. The benefits of the injectors and other mods, are found in the consistancy of performance, with the injectors providing the equivalent of PCM programming.

The AutoTap fuel trims had exceeded +20 in some trims, with the threshold for new air at +23. They are returned to baseline with our injectors.

The MAFT or our Variable trimmer will cure the trims, but the stock injectors will still be at over 95% duty cycle. This condition is not good for the injectors. It is similar to running at 100 mph in third gear all the time. They overheat and at WOT actually cause the a/f ratio to be way rich.

Why rich? Seems like the opposite would be true right? What happens is when you add an intake mod which causes a lean condition, the O2 sensors retrim the stoichiometric seeking (1-19 cells) back to 14.6:1 by adding pulse width. This additional fuel is recorded in the tables and added in addition to the WOT Fuel Enrichment code (fuel cell 22) which was designed to provide 12.6:1 ratios (in general). WOT is not subject to the O2 sensors since it is Open Loop, but the computer 'Snaphots' the added fuel percentage of the previous trim prior to WOT. You may see a/f ratios in the 10s or 11s, which means your WOT throttle is losing power bigtime.

By adding this "Snapshot" of the previous trim to WOT, your injectors will add too much fuel, even though they are close to 100% duty cycle.

When you go to the correct sizing (310cc/min rather than stock's 255cc/min injectors) the computer immediately sees a rich condition and backs off the fuel. The stoichiometric fuel cells return to baseline long term trims. When you enter WOT, the fuel enrichment code takes over (Open Loop) and no additional fuel is added since the previous Snapshot shows the trims at zero adjustment.

Very complex, but I hope this makes sense.

Jim Hall

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Mr Hall......

Are upgraded injectors needed with the T1 or Tric on an '02 street driven z06?

What are the benefits of the new SR series filter you have in developement?

·
Registered
397 Posts
Complex? Nyah, clear as mud! But it still sounds great! :)

The Sidewinder is most definitely on my Christmas wish list! Wish I could opt for the whole kit but have to do a little at a time. But thanks for offering us the discount!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts