• I would be interested in the TRIC in carbon fiber for around $599.00

Votes: 2 3.6%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 50 Posts
H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick survey for your valued opinion. Halltech spends much more on our carbon fiber intakes and our TRIC aluminum than any other intake on the market.

We are considering making our entire intake in cheap plastic, which will end up costing much less to manufacture and much less to bring to market.

Please respond to the survey if you have an interest in this.

We have always made our intakes out of the best materials on the market such as titanium, kevlar, carbon fiber, with lower sales due to cost.

Let me know.

Jim Hall

·
Premium Member
12,352 Posts
Jim,

I guess being the intake idiot that I am, I have always wondered if the use of such high cost materials brings anythig to the table from a performance perspective?

Does using carbon fiber, for instance, somehow get more air into the engine than the same size plastic peices, or is it simply about weight (we all know how weight concious we can be)?

Just wondering...

Mark

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No performance benefit at all

The reason we have used exotic materials for three years, is I felt that the C5 deserves the best.

Jim

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I have the carbon fiber version of the sideWinder. It looks nice but if I would have the choice of a polished titanium version, I would have chosen that. I am not a big fan of the carbon fiber look neither under the hood nor in the cockpit By the same token, I am not into the cheap plastic look either. If it works why can't it also look good? I agree with Jim's thinking that the vette deserves the best looking parts to go along with the best performing parts. A couple of hundred dollars savings is not worth the lesser quality look.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I believe that the percentage of Corvette owners that demand the best (i.e. carbon vs. plastic) is higher than that of the average automobile but I would also think that there are as many i fnot more cost conscientious owners as well. I don't think the market for the higher end carbon/aluminim units would be affected by the introduction of a more price conservative model. Owners that want the best will always buy the best but a more cost effective model could bring out new customers who would not have purchased otherwise. It's a no lose decision in my eyes. Go for it Jim!

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In the end

whatever we decide to do, we will not discontinue the carbon fiber units. They are lighter and very sweet, but I agree that there are many C5 folks that we miss because of the pricing.

The T-1 is so good, from a performance standpoint, that I think the plastic rotomolding alternative may be worth our effort.

One other motivation is the folks downunder that convert the C5 to right hand drive. We have received an order for 100 systems. The carbon fiber cost is beyond the OEM specs.

The plastic quality is the same as the K&N since this company makes many of the K&N products.

Jim

·
Registered
231 Posts
Go with a less expensive version..your sales volume probably will increase,also allowing sales of the carbon fiber units..i have been looking at the T-1, very cool mod..not sure about the $600 cost:cheers:

·
Registered
620 Posts
If you build it, we will support it.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: In the end

Halltech said:
whatever we decide to do, we will not discontinue the carbon fiber units. They are lighter and very sweet, but I agree that there are many C5 folks that we miss because of the pricing.

The T-1 is so good, from a performance standpoint, that I think the plastic rotomolding alternative may be worth our effort.

One other motivation is the folks downunder that convert the C5 to right hand drive. We have received an order for 100 systems. The carbon fiber cost is beyond the OEM specs.

The plastic quality is the same as the K&N since this company makes many of the K&N products.

Jim
Cool do it!

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Jim, whats the difference in the TRIC and the T1?

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Andy, the TRIC is the intake that requires cutting a hole in the shroud..

The zo6 has the screened fog lamp area as ventilation to engine bay..

As I understand it..the T1 requires no cutting of the shroud..and should be able to be installed in an hour ..tops..maybe more like 20 minutes..

It draws the air into the engine with the filter strategically placed behind the zo6 grill on the drivers side..

The reports I've read by various forum members are showing 367 REAR WHEEL HP..Thats pretty cool..

If I had a zo6..I'd go for the the T1..Its a natural....the screens are there ready to draw cold air...the results are looking pretty good..and the carbon fiber looks awesome as well. You get the tunnel bridge too..so the package is a nice way to go..(again...jmo)

I hope I was able to answer your question..

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
JB, I appreciate your response in answering my question. I understand the differences now. Just have been waiting for a cheaper version to surface. Hopefully Jim and the boys' will agree to make the T-1 in plastic and save me a few dollars $600.00 is a good chunk of the car payment :) $300.00 would be more manageble for me at least. Take it easy.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I think it would be a good idea to offer the product made of plastic. It would definantely give you a broader buyer audience.
Some folks want the best of the best. (Looks and Performance)
Some are solely interested in performance.
Me personally, I want the product thats gonna give me the most HP.

So why not capture the entire audience?

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the input!

Great forum and great guys and gals here. I really appreciate the input.

Makes our decision pretty easy.

Jim

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The TRIC vs T-1

The TRIC was our original cold air design prior to the T-1.

Both units come with the carbon fiber MAG and utilize the stock MAF sensor. The only other difference is the TRIC is a bottom breather for faster ambient temperatures at the IAT, the T-1 is also a cold air unit, but the cooler air takes somewhat longer to cool down the intake track since the car must be moving for the airducting to provide the cooler air.

The TRIC made 372 RWHP on the dyno so far with 369 RWHP for the T-1 on our 2002. This small difference can be attributed to different cars, different dyno, different conditions and correction factors.

At the track the differences are also very small, with the T-1 taking honors so far:

11 Second Club Members:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kevin Mangan 'Butcher' 11.847 @ 118.82 MPH
Stock 2002 Z06 with Halltech T-1 Intake Only. No other mods at all.

Andrew Costello - 11.86 @ 119.86 MPH-Backed by 11.937 @ 120.274 MPH
2001 Z06-Halltech T-1 Induction/Halltech Ported TB/DRM Long Tube Headers

Sean McKesson - 11.936 MPH @ 119.01 MPH
2002 Z06-Halltech TRIC®/MAG/Only Mod

Ranger - 11.94 @ 116.65 MPH
Stock 2001 Z06 with TRIC®/MAG Combo

Alex - 11.99 @ 117.6 MPH
Z06 with bolt ons; ported Halltech TB, TRIC®/MAG; underdrive pulley; MAF no screen, no CATs, but stock titanium mufflers; stock tires

Our T-1 is on sale through this week for $569.00

Your must register as a forum member online to receive this discount: www.CorvetteC5.com

Jim Hall

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Every time I see these trap speeds I'm amazed at the power these

Cars put out with a 20 minute bolt on..

The Ets are truly an amazing feat of all you drivers..You guys are very very good..

The zo6 is an amazing vehicle..complemented quite well with the Halltech T1..

Those are some rock and roll TRAP SPEED numbers..for basically stock car.. The true benefit of 432 hp

These numbers are terrorizing many C5 tuners numbers..as far as I can tell..

Congratulations..

·
Registered
803 Posts
I'm a bit confused!

Halltech said:

The TRIC made 372 RWHP on the dyno so far with 369 RWHP for the T-1 on our 2002. This small difference can be attributed to different cars, different dyno, different conditions and correction factors.
Jim Hall
First, I like the idea of the plastic duct - black, I assume. I would probably pick the T-1. I chose that combination for ease of install, price, and retention of the under hood look.

But, I read in this forum that increasing intake flow will be compensated for at part throttle by the PCM. However, at WOT the engine will be rich unless a MAF translater is used.
What were your dyno number deltas from stock?
Did you do a PCM relearn between runs?
What is the WOT A/F ratio when adding the T-1 only?

I wouldn't buy any intake mod without the answers to these questions. BTW, I think 11 sec runs are possible on a stock '02 Z with the proper launch technique and 102% air density.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Correction

Jim, re-read butcher's times, and his sig..........there are a few add on's.........other than the Halltech.......
You may have overlooked them.:)

1 - 20 of 50 Posts