Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tomorrow I hope to return to the dyno for one last pull to baseline the 02 before header installation.

We should be at around 375 RWHP with our T-1 package onboard, but the torque has increased substantially after installing our Air/Fuel Ratio Controller (AFR).

Our a/f ratios were very close on the dyno, after the 30# injectors were installed, but not at peak. They ran 12.6 to 12.1.

Ideal will probably be around 12.9:1 to 13.1:1.

The beauty of the AFR is the ability to tweak the WOT trim from within the cabin, increasing HP until the subsequent pull shows a drop. Then we back it off to the previous setting.

I'll let everyone know our findings.

Friday we install our B&B Shorty Headers for evaluation. They are ceramic/aluminum coated inside an out to keep the therms up.

Jim Hall

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Jim I am interested in the B&B for my O2, but want only a true bolt on. please comment on the installation as well as the results.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Was wondering if you can give me your reasoning in testing and installing the B&B Shorties instead of going LT?

Are the B&B Shorties Stainless steel or mild steel?

Thanks,
Don

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I see... So right now, are the B&Bs the only "bolt-on aftermaket headers" on the market?

Don
N4C5S said:
I think the reasoning is that the shorties are bolt on whereas the LT's have some welding involved.

JC

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There is no advantage to LT Headers over

Shorties on the 02. The LT Headers got their advantage due to the elimination of the pups on the 01s.

Add the pup loss and header gain (minimal) and it appeared that the LTs had an advantage over the shorties.

One more point. Headers seem to put these cars in a different catagory, but we already dynoed an 01 with the shorties and saw 4 RWHP/ 9 lbs. ft. torque. I am hoping the ceramic coating will bring back some of the loss the shorties have to the thick thermal cast iron headers from the factory. i.e. Some of the horsepower gain is lost to thermal cooling of the headers vs the stockers.

Very hard to outdo mother nature. (GM)

Jim

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Headers for the '02

We're all waiting for those number, comments and the particulars on the install (as I would like to do it my self if possible):-?

Also Jim, over at CF there were some posts with speculation of a few new headers coming out for the 02, that were shown at the SEMA show, or were proposed from some of the manufacturers, since you went, could you comment, and I know until it's in your hands, it's all just speculation and rumor:D
Thanks
:cheers:

·
Registered
803 Posts
I think it's obvious that the pup cats must go on an '01 to achieve any exit flow gains.

But there is another way to improve exhaust performance that can also help in other areas of the power curve. I'm talking about a cam change. Opening the exhaust valve a few degrees earlier, when cylinder pressure is higher, will cause cylinder blow down to happen much faster - without different headers.

Once you commit to a cam change, you can go for some proper performance motor duration. The stock cams ('01 & '02) are very short duration for gas mileage. There is typically ~20 HP in optimizing a cam.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts