Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We wanted to save this information for the Stinger-R release in one week, but our Z06 is at the dealer. Yesterday, upon starting the car, zero oil pressure. Plenty of oil, but the check valve is obviously stuck open. Once we got pressure up, we immediately drove it to Connelly Chev, for diagnosis. It may just be the sending unit.

We spent the day at Borla in Port Hueneme, CA dynoing their new exhaust system.

There was a 2001 Z06 that had just had their headers and exhaust system installed and dynoed. We did not see this dyno session, but the headers alone made 14.5 RWHP over stock! The exhaust numbers were not shared with us.

Borla dynoed our 2002 without the T-1, with just the TRIC, to match the 2001. 5 minutes later they installed the new exhaust and redynoed. (They dyno at 225-degree water temps, which kill the 02s) Our numbers went up 9.5 RWHP! 11.1 more HP from just the Borla exhaust.

As soon as we get the oil pressure sorted out, we'll go back for the header challange. The B&Bs are onboard right now and made 3.1 RWHP/1.5 ft. lbs. torque over stock. If we get the 14.5 that the 2001 got, we are going to be in major HP land.

The new exhaust weighs only 31# vs. 27.1 # for the stock titanium.

I think this is the most exotic sounding and baddest looking exhaust ever made for the C5

Now the good news. Halltech will be selling the combination header/and exhaust system for around $999.00. You read right. If we get the pricing we are looking for, we can sell the forum headers that really work, and an exhaust system that makes 11 HP for under $1000.00!!!( I'll quote the header numbers when we actually see them
:cheers:

Our last dyno with the B&B headers onboard at R&D Dyno brought us from 381.2 up to 384.3. With the exhaust, we should now be at 394 RWHP. We have three more Stinger-R components to dyno before release.

By the way. The Stinger-R package will work with either the T-1 or the TRIC Induction systems. Both will be dyno tested.
Jim Hall

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Sounds pretty awesome but I kind of like the look of 4 muffler outlets. Does this system only come with 2?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When does two equal eleven?

When two tips makes 11 HP! Saw it with my own eyes.

Now everyone has one more reason to purchase exhaust, without the penalty of taking on two boat anchors that actually do not make HP.

$800 for the Corsas, B&Bs, and others is awefully expensive for different tips and sound.

You get that plus 9.5 RWHP!

Jim

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Jim,
Are the headers you're going to sell with the pkg, long tubes? And is everything simple bolt on with no cutting or welding?

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Looks cool to me. I like to see a shot of both side by side to compare the size of the pipes. Sound clips would also be helpful. 11 hp from an exhaust seems really good. I seem to have a hard time thinking about yanking my Titanium exhaust.

- Charley

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
So, if I understand the "Stinger R" post correctly - there is a potential total gain of approximately 25.5 H/P here for the entire Borla system broken down as:

14.5 h/p - headers

11 h/p for cat back exhaust.

Is this correct? If it is, those are excellent numbers. And now, for two more questions:

1. What are all components made from - stainless steel?

2. For those of us who normally drive our cars on the street and only occasionally use them for competition - what increased level of interior resonance can be expected? Do you expect it to be substantial to the point of being very noticeably intrusive?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Will the results with the Borla system be about the same on 02 Z's?? I remember reading some posts a while back about a decrease in horsepower in 02 Z's when the similar mods were done in the 01's increased H.P. in the 01's.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No resonance at all

fcalmes said:
Looks like a couple of bazookas hanging out the back!! :lol: How about resonance?? Increased cabin noise??
Resonance comes when you least want it, during cruise. These have a deeper cruising sound, but just slightly.

When you put your foot into the throttle at all, they are the loudest exhaust on the market on the 2002 and will get you plenty of tickets. Much quieter on the 01 due to the pup-cats and more restrictive main cats.

Jim

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
VettTheRipper said:
Jim,
Are the headers you're going to sell with the pkg, long tubes? And is everything simple bolt on with no cutting or welding?
They are short tube, but they made 14 RWHP on the 01 that was at Borla the day we were there.

They may be designing long tubes as well, but for under $1000 for the exhaust and headers, this is the deal of the century.

It took Borla, 5 minutes to install the exhaust. No cutting for either, no welding, just bolt on and perfect fit.

Jim

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
EBZ06 said:
Jim,
I already have headers; how much for the cat-back portion?
Jerry :cheers:
Introductory Pricing is $550 for the exhaust, and $550 for the headers.

$999.00 for the pair.

This forum only.

Jim

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Shorties? No cutting/welding? 14 HP? You guys really suck, and my wife is gonna hide my credit card.:lol: :lol:

Jim,
How much for just the Headers?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
BLEUBYU said:
So, if I understand the "Stinger R" post correctly - there is a potential total gain of approximately 25.5 H/P here for the entire Borla system broken down as:

14.5 h/p - headers

11 h/p for cat back exhaust.

Is this correct? If it is, those are excellent numbers. And now, for two more questions:

1. What are all components made from - stainless steel?

2. For those of us who normally drive our cars on the street and only occasionally use them for competition - what increased level of interior resonance can be expected? Do you expect it to be substantial to the point of being very noticeably intrusive?
1) Stainless

2) No resonance. They actually do not have a louder interior sound at all when you are cruising in any gear. The second you step on the gas, however, they are very loud on the 02, but I love the sound.

If you watched Dale Earnhardt driving the C5R during his time, the sound on the interior during his acceleration is very similar.

Jim

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Tips

The tips you see, are without the liners that Borla will be putting in.

They just sent a set to a very large automotive company yesterday with the insert liners, and they do not look quite so big.

Jim

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Jim.... any chance of recording a sound file of this setup?

I would love to hear a sample of these babies..... :)

·
Registered
309 Posts
Jim,

Don't know how feasible this is but for us '01 guys....any chance of coming up with an alternative to the pup cats if we buy the whole Stinger package. Like cutting them off and weldning a fabricated replacement or gutting them while they off the car during the header installation.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
MARZ06 said:
Jim,

Don't know how feasible this is but for us '01 guys....any chance of coming up with an alternative to the pup cats if we buy the whole Stinger package. Like cutting them off and weldning a fabricated replacement or gutting them while they off the car during the header installation.
We sell the GM 2002 pupless exhaust from the headers back to the mufflers.

i.e. We can sell you the Borla Headers and new XR Exhaust for $999.00 and the GM high flow cat exhaust (2002) for $1265.00

Both are on our website to order. www.CorvetteC5.com

Click exhaust.

Jim

·
Registered
90 Posts
Jim,
I also have a question (on the 01' ) and am possibly interested in the header setup - in another post you mentioned the 01' cat flow more cfm then any aftermarket exhaust - does that mean if the 01' just gets rid of the pup cats the main cat would not be a performance hindrance? Is that what a x-pipe does? I have to try and stay under the little ladys budget and the GM high flow cat might put my out of it!:)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Better to blow the Vipers down with!

fcalmes said:
Looks like a couple of bazookas hanging out the back!! :lol: How about resonance?? Increased cabin noise??
They will look slightly smaller when the inserts are in.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts