Corvette Z06 Forum banner

Installation of the T-1 Opinions

• I can install the T-1 faster than Pam's 14 minutes

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • It took me longer than that, but these instructions would have helped.

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • I was so frustrated I wanted to return the T-1

• I can't even put my kid's bike together

• I would never purchase anything from Halltech

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • I would purchase the T-1 if you would install it free

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just installed three T-1 Intakes today, with the longest taking me 16 minutes total. Pam did two in 14 minutes and 16 minutes each.

We have detailed instructions on our site for download, but here is a thumbnail sketch on what we have found is the easiest way to install the T-1:

It was 78-degrees in Huntington Beach today, so the hardest part for me was the heat of the engine. Let it cool down.

1) Unplug the air hose (1") that connects to the airbox, leaving the 90-degree plastic elbow in the end of the hose, but take the rubber grommet off.

2) Disconnect the MAF wire connector. (We use a small screwdriver to pry it from the passenger side. It pops off once you get to the tab underneath)

3) Using a 8mm nut-driver (THE MAIN TOOL YOU NEED), loosen the hose clamp on the accordion connector to the throttle body.

4) Push or pry the airbox away from the front bumper, it is connected with two rubber grommets only.

5) The entire airbox will come off and out of the car now.

All of the above should take no more than 2 minutes maximum. I have done it in 39 seconds flat. Anyone faster?

The next step is the hardest:

6) Remove the stock Mass Airflow Sensor from the stock airbox. Superior strength is not needed, but it helps. 45 seconds total.

7) Spray a light film of Windex on the plastic end and insert it into the rubber F-Seal of the MAG. The airfoil should be aligned vertically. Tighten the hose clamp. 52 seconds

8) Install the MAG now on the throttle body, with the red silicone boot butting up against the end of the TB flange. Tighten the hose clamp snuggly. ( Make sure the unit is lying straight. 1 minute 30 seconds.

9) Next the Z1000 filter and the carbon fiber elbow should be preinstalled for alignment. Make certain that the elbow DOES NOT PROTRUDE INTO THE BELLMOUTH of the filter. There is a thin positive stop that you can both see and feel when the elbow is inserted into the filter. Tighten the hose-clamp loosely. 1 minute.

10) From the engine bay, snake the filter and elbow down to its install location, then go to the front of the car and push the elbow around the metal end of the MAF. If you need to loosen the filter to align it that’s ok. Just make sure that the final position of the filter is not lying on the shroud. It will touch it, but if the face is covering the shroud airflow will be obstructed. 3 minutes.

11) Remove the elbow and filter together and check to make sure you have not inadvertently pushed the filter past the positive stop, then tighten the hose clamp and reinstall. TIP: IF YOU ALIGN YOUR HOSECLAMPS IN THE WAY SHOWN IN THE PICTURE, YOU CAN GET THE HOSECLAMP VERY TIGHT. 2 minutes

12) Finally, route the 1" hose under the filter and plug the little 90-degree elbow into the small hole on the Z1000. 1 Minute

MAKE SURE ALL HOSE CLAMPS ARE SNUG;

13) Plug the MAF wire connector back into the MAF and start the engine.

IDLE LEARN PROCEDURE:

Run the engine until the water temp is 176-degree.

Time 5 minutes from the time you reach that temp.

Shut of the engine for 30 seconds.

YOU ARE DONE. It took me 25 minutes to type this, or 10 extra minutes longer than the installation should take.

Tomorrow I will post the pictures that coincide with the instructions above.

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
Jim,

I must agree that it is as easy as you say...once you have completed a successful install. I can also write a page of html in less than 5 minutes, but when I first started it took quite a bit longer than that. :D I personally didn't purchase the unit to see if I could compete with a CART Pit Crew. The end result nullified the few headaches of the install. I love the product. :cheers:

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:guiness:

It takes me longer when I'm drinking coffee.

Jim

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Today was Pam's day

Pam was mentally challanged the other day when a customer from San Diego wanted to cancel his order, stating " a friend of mine said it was too difficult to install and I wouldn't be able to do it"

She told the customer to come up to HB and she would install it.

This is no joke.

I left to get bagels and when I came back, she was almost finished.

There have been some issues that have not been thoroughly explained in the instructions, and we apologize for that. The hope is we can determine what they are, address them, and fix the problem.

Our T-1 is a complete induction system, and not just an airfilter stuck on the end of the MAF.

We can pre-assemble the T-1 from the factory at no charge except for the extra large box. We do need your MAF to do it.

Jim

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Better pics or video is all that is really needed

Okay, it took me an hour + with the instructions and I still did not have it right. But I haven't sent it back :D

Actually a few pics from different angles would have helped me. A side view of the Cobra as it lies flat on top of the shroud and a side view clearly showing that the filter is tilted up.

It still would have taken me an hour though.

:guiness: maybe longer if I was thirsty :)

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Better pics or video is all that is really needed

MiZ06 said:
Okay, it took me an hour + with the instructions and I still did not have it right. But I haven't sent it back :D

Actually a few pics from different angles would have helped me. A side view of the Cobra as it lies flat on top of the shroud and a side view clearly showing that the filter is tilted up.

It still would have taken me an hour though.

:guiness: maybe longer if I was thirsty :)
We'll match the verbage with good pictures.

Thanks for the input.

Jim

·
Registered
945 Posts
I like the new instructions about that dam rubber grommet. I could knock off ten or fifteen minutes if I new I was supposed to take it off.:D :D

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
2002blackZ06 said:
I like the new instructions about that dam rubber grommet. I could knock off ten or fifteen minutes if I new I was supposed to take it off.:D :D
I'll get it right sooner or later. Hopefully tomorrow I can ad pics to the text, and Jared can put this in an Installation Center.

All vendors could do likewise for their products.

Jim

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
You're my hero Jim:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Now free installation AND FREE T-1 then you got something. You would really rack up the frequent flyer miles coming out to the East coast:D
:cheers:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts