Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys

I have the titanium tric setup with the new racing filter. Im thinking about installing it in the spring but I want it to run right.

What things do I need?

First, there is the issue with the surging. Jim recommended putting a small hole in the throttle body plate. I didnt hear very much after that, did anyone do that, if so, what results did you get? Any other problems?

Second, It sounds like everyone is having air-fuel problems with new intakes on the 02's. Do you think its a good idea to get new injectors? the 30 lb jobs? Also, what would I need, and how do I adjust, for a fuel-air problem. I dont have very good access to a dyno. Can the autotap do enough for me? To do the changes I can just get one of those MAF translators right?

Lastly, have i missed anything in the equation? Everything else will be stock. I heard headers are actually reducing performace on 02's so I dont want to go that route. Thanks in advance.

Happy Thanksgiving

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
The Tric on an '02 should be a "plug-n-play", but the '01's require removal of the MAF screen, I think this is what Mr Hall has said.
I recall reading about some surging problems in '01's, but not in the 02's
:cheers:

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I didnt think so, where did you hear that? (about the maf screen). Also im wondering if all the new filters could really stand to be tuned, to get more horses out of them. If its going to be a real pain I might just see if I could trade in the tric for a t-1 which seems more recommended and only a few hp off. Id rather get the tric working but if I have to limit myself in other places then no way.

·
Registered
141 Posts
The intakes and off-road exhausts produce a lot more air flow through the engine, but apparently mess up the air/fuel ratio in the ECM.

I added a Helltech TRIC/Cobra, throttle body heater bypass and Bassani off-road setup. I just received my Ease scan tool, and my long term fuel trim was **18%** lean! That means the air flow is up about 18%, and the ECM is trying to compensate for it.

So I ordered a MAFT, which can adjust things back to normal. The Ease also showed that my injectors were about maxed out, so I ordered a set of SVO 30 Lb injectors (much more reasonably priced). They arrived, but I'm waiting for the MAFT to arrive and install both at the same time. John Rovner (at <www.teamzr1.com>) says the SVO injectors will flow about 35% more fuel than the stock injectors, so the MAFT needs to be set about 15% *lean* as a starting tune, adjusting from there with the Ease.

It appears to me that the bottom line on mods that increase air flow is that you must have a scan tool (like the Ease) and a MAFT, or else you will get lean running, surging, and other problems. John says that after tuning everything properly, all these symptoms go away and you make substantially more power. If you just change to the 30 Lb SVO injectors (which flow 36 Lb at Corvette fuel pressure) you will be way too rich instead.

I wouldn't be concerned about the air filter oil. Unless you submerge the filter in oil, there is not enough oil there to get to the engine. Just spraying on a light coat, the filter should absorb all the oil.

HTH, Jim Green

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The question is, what stopped the surging, the injectors or the sidewinder? My guess is the sidewinder.

So my theory on the tuning is right, thanks for your input!

Jim if you are reading this, does this logic look correct?

·
Registered
141 Posts
You changed two things at once, switched to the sidewinder and to 30 Lb injectors.

I'd drive 20-30 miles and get an Ease scanner and see what the LTFT is. I suspect you are now running rich, but that is just a **guess** without the Ease scanner.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That ease scanner, does it hook in like the autotap does? Do you have to splice wires, etc or is there a wireing harness setup for the 02 z06's now?

What is the price like for those. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Both scanners plug into a connector under the dash. No splicing. The connector and wires assembly to plug in under the dash and connect to your laptop with a serial cnnector comes with the Ease scanner.

The MAFT requires some splicing to install, or you can purchase two of the GM style 3-wire connectors and splice them into the right wires so you can unplug the MAFT any time you want to.

The Ease scanner costs about $315 from <www.teamzr1.com>. About $350 directly from Ease. Everyone gets them from Team ZR1.

HTH, Jim Green

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Another quick question:

After you have the maft install, I know that it intercepts things from the pcm, and then adds its information to adjust the fuel mixture. Now when you run the ease program, is it going to read what the pcm thinks is happening or what is actually happening as far as the fuel mixture is concerned?

Thanks

·
Registered
141 Posts
The Ease, and all scanners for that matter, read the ECM data. The MAFT modifies what the MAF sends to the ECM so the fuel/air ratio gets adjusted to the right value without having to use the LTFT (long term fuel trim).

I'm really a novice on this topic and just learning. The experts are over at <www.teamzr1.com>. In particular, John Rovner is a ex-GM test engineer and helps all of us set up for max power. You might want to go over there and read their forums and subscribe to the list-serve and ask more detail questions there. These guys are really into getting the max power. A power nut like myself.

·
Registered
109 Posts
my experience with surging on my 01

I had the TRIC on my 01 Z06 for over a year and it worked great until I removed the screen from the MAF.

John from Team-ZR1 helped me out as well. Initial scan indicated a 20% lean condition. After adding 30lb injectors and MAFT set to 15% lean the car was running much better. The new injectors and MAFT gave me back timing (and torque) and the car was screaming at WOT.

I was still getting some surging under light throttle. Typically cruising on the freeway in 6th, say 65mph, or off the throttle coming downhill. EASE Scan didn't show any problems, DIC threw no codes.

I switched the TRIC for the T1 elbow, and now the car runs great with no surging. Why does the TRIC surge and the T1 not?
I don't know! Maybe the ram effect of the TRIC causes turbulence around the MAF at light throttle resulting in incorrect readings?!

For whatever reason, the TRIC seems to require a screen in the MAF, and that is Jim's fix for running a TRIC on the 02 Z06. Simply put in a screened 01 MAF, and the TRIC should work fine. Of course you should still scan with EASE or autotap to ensure your AFR are optimal.

The real question is which makes more power. The T1 with the screen removed, or the TRIC with the screen in.

hope this helps!

:cheers:

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for your help, ill find out from him what I need to get the t-1 setup instead of the tric.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts