Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been limping along on the cigarette lighter connected Valentine for months and my buddy finally said to come on over and we would run the Valentine hard wire setup. I had already drained my battery twice leaving it on in my carport while I was away on long trips. This resets your oil percent left DIC feedback back to 100% by the way. We found a good visualized install post on the Web and less than 40 min. later the deed was done.

Now it works on the ignition. It is hidden from prying eyes. It cleans up the look of your dash and feels like a really nice upgrade. Consider this a nudge from someone who didn't know how nice the "little" things can improve your ride.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I always hard wire my V1 and that was one of my first projects on the Z. It's a piece of cake but it is difficult when one has an old, lard ass body like me. I pulled the passenger side carpet back, pulled the fuse box cover off and pulled one of those mini fuses. Stuck the hot wire (red) into the slot and then pushed like hell to get the mini back in. Tucked the wire under the "A" piller moulding, ran the wire over to the drivers visor. Like an idiot, I did not bother to make sure the hookup was to a "switched" fuse...it was not, so the thing was hot all the time. What a moron! I dreaded redoing it only because it was so damn hard to push the fuse back in after I had stuffed the wire into the fuse receptacle.
After a couple of weeks of this, I re-did it, making sure I had a "switched" fuse. This time however, I noticed a "slot" next to the fuse. Twisted the hot wire and stuffed it into this slot, then pushed the fuse back in...what a piece of cake.
For those doing this, test for your ground wire. There is a lot of plastic which will not give you a ground.
It's very easy unless one has a brain fart...which I seem to be having repeatedly lately.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I agree with your suggestion. Jacob, another forum member and a BC Corvette Club member, generously offered to help me with the install. He did most of the work, I just gabbed along with him. John was a tremendous help. We then stuck the remote in the ashtray - a very, very tidy installation.

Cannot wait for the next round of suggestions John will come up with !

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Really Upset

I tried to hardwire my Valentine and he got really upset. Said some days he just can't be hardwired. Cell phone, Mood shift??? What do I know? Z06Y Lady, Hard to please :D

·
Registered
576 Posts
Hard wired mine last Christmas!! :cool: Only way to go. The detector becomes pretty much invisible to outsiders.

GOLD72

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
Yes, hardwire is the way to go. There is a pigtail tucked away in the upper left hand corner of the passenger foot well fuse box area that most people use to hard wire the V1.

Zippy :z: :z:

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
Remote

in the ashtray OK. Where do you put the Valentine? Do you run with the ashtray door open in order to see the remote? Has anyone put a CB in their ZO6 yet? Where do you mount it? I have an antenna mount that goes behind the rear license plate, and grounds to the car frame. Looking for ideas or ways to put in the CB radio. Any body going to the January 4th Laughlin Nevada Corvette Rally? I have seen some really interesting web sites on radar detectors. Some of them do a very good job. Some of the best can detect a signal on the other side of the hill where the black and whites are waiting to see you speed down the other side. I am not talking about the black and white cows either. One nice thing about the Z is it sounds like you are going over 100 mph just shifting the gears to 45 mph. WHAT A Blast. :) :) :cheers: :cheers:

·
Registered
631 Posts
V1 main unit is on the windshield immediately to the left of the rear view mirror - wiring is in the headliner, down the driver's side A pillar=, under dash, through left side of ashtray door. Remote is sandwiched in top and bottom with dark grey foam that the V1 came packed in. Drive with the ashtray door open. When its closed, you really cannot see the detector because of the window tinting. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
Helps a lot Thanks

I quess the power for it goes to the remote in the ashtray in the same left hand hole?:-?

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Why do you need a remote? I have my Line Lock in the ash tray.

Seems like if it's at the top of the wind shield to the left of the rearview mirror, it would be easier to see when driving. To look down at the ashtray doesn't seem as safe.

Am I missing something here??

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Remote or Main Unit Only

I decided against the remote for the reason you mention..... line of sight. My unit is touching the left edge of the rear view mirror as well. Taller drivers put it to the right edge so that it is not blocking their vision. Valentine tells you that others will tailgate you to live off of your main unit lighting up (from behind) and that troopers will get more in a ticket writing mode of they see your detector lights. The remote lets you totally mute and disable lights on the system without overtly reaching up to do it. The downside would be your reaction time on your brakes if it is not in a more HUD-like position.

Say, there's an idea. Make your detector system integrate right into the HUD. How about it GM? It won't encourage speeding, I promise.;) :p :roll: :D

·
Registered
425 Posts
GM may never incorporate it into the HUD but I'm sure an aftermarket rearview mirror can be built with the detector hidden inside. All these ideas....we should start patenting.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I was thinking of getting the power from the rear view mirror. Have anyone tried? I think it goes off with the ignition too.

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
Great idea ddle

Would save time and material running the wire all over to the right fuse. Maybe someone will try it. Should work....maybe some after market company can come out with a mirror that will have directional leds that tell you which way the radar is coming from. Just like the turn signals on some new outside mirrors on cars. Bottom line is I think your idea is great.:cheers: :cheers:

·
Registered
19,096 Posts
How to connect your V1 to the passenger footwell fuse box 3 wire pigtail:

After removing your floor mat, unlatch the cover, and set it aside. Use a small flashlight and look in the upper left top area and you will see the 3 pig tail wires. They will be secured with a plastic Christmas tree shaped retaining clip (usually a p.i.t.a. to pop this clip loose but makes it easier to work on the wires if you do). These three wires are wrapped in black electrical tape. Carefully remove the electrical tape from the ends of the wires. THE ORANGE WIRE IS NOT USED. DO NOT CONNECT ANYTHING TO THE ORANGE WIRE! Just wrap it with plastic tape to prevent electrical shorts. Next, you connect the balck wire from the hard wiring kit included with the Valentine1 to the balck wire of the pigtail. Still with me? Finally you connect the red wire from the V1 hard wire kit to the yellow pig tail wire. I use small wire nuts to make the connections and then as an extra caution wrap the wire nuts with electrical tape (vibration and rough roads could cause the wire nuts to loosen and dis-connect your splices). Next, you carefully tuck the wiring up into the fuse box area and push the Christmas tree plastic connector back into the hole it came out of and replace the footwell cover and floor mat.

Be careful when you tuck the wire behind the door post trim piece and upper windshield molding because the hard wire length just barely is long enough to reach your V-1 by the rear view mirror, and if your not careful it won't reach.

Now turn your V1 on.... turn on the ignition, the V1 should be working....Turn off ignition, and V1 should be off.

Hope this helps, and remember if Zippy can do it, anyone can! :lol: :cheers:

Zip :z: :z:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts