Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed the Harlan shift light yesterday on the Z06 and thought folks might be interested.

Installation:

On all C5 Corvettes, circuit 121 is the tachometer signal, and the wire you want comes right up to the instrument panel. Unfortunately, the Instrument Panel Cluster Connector can't be accessed without tearing down the whole dash, so you go to the PCM.

The PCM is a pain to get at (remove right front wheel, remove fender liner, fish spliced wire up to dash, etc) but it got done. For now, the shift light is velcro fastened to the steering column, next to the Valentine 1 remote display. Everything went fine using the supplied instructions (4 cyl mode, 6300 RPM).

Results:

The shift light works great. It gets me away from the rev limiter and is far easier to see than the "Shift" indicator on the HUD. A minor problem is that it causes the Valentine 1 to falsely detect a laser radar trap from the rear of the car. The V1 is mounted at the top of the windshield and the extremely bright LEDs in the Shift light likely bounce off the rear window and back to the V1's rear antenna. (The V1 gets fooled in a similar way by some high mounted center brake lights on pickup trucks).

I suspect a longer tube would allow the LEDs to be more isolated from the V1. Alternatively, a different mounting location might be a solution. I don't really want to turn off the V1, given the speeds involved when I need the Shift light.

Have you had this problem? I would appreciate any suggestions folks might have. I would be interested in where other owners mounted the unit.

I am extremely impressed with all aspects of Harlan's product. The engineering is superb and at the price he is providing a real bargain.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
I just ordered one from Shawn at LAPD, but it may not be the Harlan unit. Mr Goodwrench said it looks cool mounted inside the center a/c outlet.

I thought the lights went from left to right in a straight line!? 4 greens and a red. From your dash pix it looks like it's round?!

In any event it's truely KEWL:cool: I can't wait to get mine ;)

:cheers:
Barrie

·
Registered
397 Posts
Nice!

Yeh, the Harlan mini-shift light is great. So small you can hide it most anywhere and no pills to mess with.

I installed one of these some time ago in my 96 Grand Sport and tucked it away in an A/C vent (click here for info). Will try to replicate that in the Z06 some day.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Valentine has supposedly issued a "Corvette fix" for your false laser detection....If it's that big a deal you might contact them for the fix... :cheers:

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
01ZEE06 said:
I just ordered one from Shawn at LAPD, but it may not be the Harlan unit. Mr Goodwrench said it looks cool mounted inside the center a/c outlet.

I thought the lights went from left to right in a straight line!? 4 greens and a red. From your dash pix it looks like it's round?!

In any event it's truely KEWL:cool: I can't wait to get mine ;)

Barrie
Barrie,

How did your installation go? Where did you setup the light?

A/c Vent?

·
Registered
397 Posts
01ZEE06 said:
Barrie
THe Harlan mini-shift light is definitely round (see http://www.hashmarks.com/ShiftLight/index.html

I haven't installed one in the Z06 yet but it should be a great mod once you find a good place to mount it.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
JBsZ06,

I got the Auto Meter Pro Shift Light and had it mounted on the "A" pillar down low aiming right at me;)

It's about an 1 1/4" in diameter and it's not as bright as the LED units, but you can't miss it. There is an LED conversion kit, but it's really not necessary.....at night it lights up the inside of the car pretty good....it's comes with a "condom"....i.e. cap to cut down on the light at night, but you still can't miss it with the "cap" on:)

I didn't do the installation myself, but it appeared to be straight forward and pretty simple....comes with instructions!!

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
To see the shift light once you're on the website, click "product search", then click "product type", then "shift lights", then "pro shift lite", and finally "model # 5340":thumb:

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
PRO-SHIFT LITE(TM)

The Pro-Shift Lite is an independently operating shift light with advanced microcircuitry. The shift-point is selected by inserting a precisely calibrated RPM module (Pill) into the unit. The amber light activates when the engine reaches the chosen RPM. State-of-the-art, low current circuitry makes this ideal for battery operation. Models are available for Standard/Electronic, Vertex, and Super Mag ignitions. A variety of clearly marked RPM module “Pills” are available. For different colored lenses and night covers, see the Colored Lens Kits.

The Pro-Shift Lite Requires Calibrated RPM Module “Pills” to Operate (see list below).

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
Nice install.

Who has the best price on the Harlan set up?( X-mas present for the ZO6 ;) )

·
Registered
397 Posts
As far as I know, the Harlan mini-shift light is only available directly from Harlan.

The unit is $50 + $5 shipping in the US of A.

I like it because of its small size (1" x 3"), ease of hookup, and the fact that you don't need to buy any of those damn PILLS!!!

Now I just need to find a trick place to install it in the Z06! :D

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
Thanks Hutch ! Just ordered mine. Now I would like to mount it in my line of vision. :-?

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Auto Meter's Pro Shift Light comes with all the "pills" you'll need:lol:

I found the 6,400 pill would allow a speed shift without hitting the Rev Limiter.....my Rev Limiter is set @ 6,800 RPM.

If I remember correctly, it's about $150.00.....

The lower "A" pillar is a perfect spot to mount, or on top of the cover behind the steering wheel for the Harlan. The Pro Shift Light is just a little too big and would slightly block your view of some of your instuments if mounted there.....

Some guys are installing in the middle A/C duct out of sight. I saw a short video of one being used at night in a Z and the whole damn car lit up light someone turned on a 300 watt bulb!!

In both locations, just point it at your eyes as you do not need to look at it to see it.....THEY PUT OUT A TON OF LIGHT and I guarantee that you will know when to shift. The Harlan with LCD's is especially bright and might blind you temporarily at night. They probabily have some sort of a cap diffuser that you snap on to eliminate this problem.

HTH,
01ZEE06

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
Thanks for the great information. These forums and its members make corvette ownership even cooler!

one last question..

What makes the 150 dollar one worth the extra money over the 50 dollar one? Please excuse my ignorance..? but I had to ask

Thx...

1 - 20 of 42 Posts