Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm finally deciding to do a harness bar in my '02 Z06. I've never recomended them in the past (when I was into F-bodies) because of the rollover possibility and the lack of a rollbar for protection.

I've read that the C5 has a decently supported hoop from the factory already built in though, so I'm sorta relaxing my thoughts on a harness bar. That and the last time I was on a RR course I couldn't last they entire day from holding my 6'5" 290lb frame in place on Hoosiers. And now I am stepping up to some decent brake pads too, PFC01's front and rear.

So, I'm looking at the Brey Krause harness bar and the HardBar harness bar.

Has anyone used/owned both? Pros? Cons?

Easy to install/remove? Well built? Etc?

The HardBar is a lot cheaper, but I can get a Brey Krause used for about the same price as the HardBar new.

I guess I would also install some harness mounts too, but I forget who makes them.

Thanks for any and all help.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have a Sparco, and it fits well, was an easy installation, and has a nice gold anodized finish.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I haven't used both, but I do have and really like the BK set-up.

The BK set-up adds structural regidity to the car by mounting up at the factory seat belt "hanger" mounts. Also, the bar is tied in to the floor of the car with anti-rotational bars that run from the bar down to the seat mounts. Furthermore, the bar, itself, is reinforced by a "truss" that runs behind the bar. Basically, the set-up is very, very stout. And, it has a great black crinkle finish that goes perfectly with the interior of the car.

I have Sparco belts running through the BK belt hardware. That hardware was easy to install, isn't obtrusive, and works well.

I think that the Hardbar bar might be lighter, but I don't know for sure. The guys at Hardbar are tops, and I'd imagine that their bar is mighty good, too. I simply haven't seen/used their set-up.

-Kirk

·
Registered
891 Posts
I have a BK bar. Fit & finish is excellent. The lap belt brackets seem pricey until you install them. More like jewelery. None of your usual aftermarket fit up problems. The instructions were pretty decent. I cut the slot in the plastic trim a little bit different, but I can't remember whether it was larger or smaller.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I have owned both the Brey Krause and the Hardbar. I originally purchased the BK bar because I was concerned about the seat being able to fully recline - an issue with the Hardbar. I have since switched to a full race seat and subsequently switched to the Harbar unit. Simpler and stronger IMO. Both are excellent quality products, depends on the application.

If you stay with stock seats, get the Brey Krause clip-in harness mounts and a 6-pt harness. LAPD sells a 6-point Crow setup that works perfectly. If you go race seat, get a good seat mount setup like the Hardbar seat rails and use bolt-in hardware for your harnesses.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great info, thanks guys.

The Sparko that is gold is a no-no. I can't stand ANYTHING gold.

The Hardbar not allowing the seat all the way back would be another issue. I sit with the seat ALL the way back, ALL the way down, and reclined and pushing into the back wall.

Will the BK allow me to sit in my seat like that?

I know a local shop (MSI) also sells some hoop type harness bar, but it really seems to block rear vision and is more of a leave in type mod.

So will the BK with it's down bar stabilizers all the seat to go all the way back, all the way down and reclined?

I was planning on the BK harness brackets as well, but I'm not sure I could leave them in all the time. I work at FFP (another Sacramento shop) and have sat in some cars with harness bars (see MSI style above) with BK harness brackets and they seem to dig into my body a bit... but I would have to double check on that.

And for some reason I like the Simpson camlock brand/style harness and use that in my Camaro. I have some older (out of date) harnesses laying around, but they are the V-type bolt in (for the shoulder belts) and it sounds like those might not work.

Also, how does the harness fit/feel with the Z06 seats and not a race seat or the sports seats?

Thanks for all the help so far guys.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts