Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to order a harness bar and six-point harness and got talked out of it. Reason being that the harness bar does not provide any roll over protection. It was suggested that I was safer going with the stock harness because, in the event of a roll over, there would be more freedom for the body to move away from the crush zone. I should add that the solution suggested is not sold by the outfit I was talking to, so there was no money motivation.

I agree with the logic in the roll scenario, but feel real uncomfortable about driving with the stock restraints. I know I should spirng for the six-point cage, but the funds just aren't there yet.

Also today, I went to get my stock seats modified for pass throughs. The proposed solution was a hack that would have left exposed foam visible - not an option. What cleaner solutions have you found for using the stock seats.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
11,339 Posts
I put the B/K harness bar and Simpson belts in after my first DE.

I personally liked being tight in the seat, I am sure some of the T1 guys will chime in about protection of 5/6 pt with harness bar vs full rollcage

I redid my seats to sport seats so I had the pass-through. You could always just cut the center out, replace the cushions and seat covers.

·
Registered
153 Posts
What you do should also be based upon how you plan on using the car.

For infrequent DEs I'd recommend the 6 point harness. You will appreciate the extra restraint and will get much more for your money from the DE. In my view you are much more likely to roll your car at a DE without a proper restraint as you will have that much less control of your car. There are a great many other ways a 6 point harness could save your life before worrying about risk in a roll over.

If you are going serious racing get a roll cage and you will still want the 6 point harness. The FRC body style itself has quite strong upper chassis strength even though it is not a roll cage.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
kmagvette said:
I should add that the solution suggested is not sold by the outfit I was talking to, so there was no money motivation.
Ding, ding, ding! That right there should tell you something. I bet they sell roll cages, though. :lol:

Plenty of folks use harness bars for occasional DE's, even most of the instructors I've had. It's not designed to aid in rollover protection, but rather to provide a solid mounting point for the shoulder straps. Get a Brey-Krause harness bar, Crow 6-point harnesses, and Brey-Krause harness mounts, all available from LAPD. When you get serious, then worry about a roll cage. ;)

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
dmtnt,

They do sell roll cages, but not the one that was recommended to me - Autobar. My plan was to do the harness bar & 6 pt. harness for now. The Helmet (a good one), Seat Modifications, SS Brake Lines & Pistons, Brake Pads, Fresh Fluids, TECH 2 Bleed, alignment - it just keeps going. Oh yes, can't forget DE entry fees and the car payments. It all adds up fast.

My wife has had a good sense of humor about all this stuff, so far...

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
kmagvette said:
My wife has had a good sense of humor about all this stuff, so far...
Fortunately so does my wife. But now that I've got $10k+ in track mods, she doesn't find it quite as funny. :blush:

If this is your first DE, I'd just get the helmet,the brake fluid Tech II flush, and a performance alignment. Unless you're a born natural, you won't be pushing the car enough to utilize much else. Take your time, don't push yourself or the car, and have fun. From there you can fall into the spiralling vortex of mod $$'s. :lol: I'd bet its easier to get off crack than this hobby. :rofl:

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Actually, that was the deal I made with my wife after panoz racing school. She gave me a choice, the crack habit or the track habit - pick one :p

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
kmagvette said:
Actually, that was the deal I made with my wife after panoz racing school. She gave me a choice, the crack habit or the track habit - pick one :p

Rehabilitation from CRACK is easier, so start smoking and quit racing :idea: :eyes:

Don't panick do the event you won't get hurt unless your :screwy: Check fluids, brakes, and check that everything is tight. Alinment would help.

·
Banned
809 Posts
dmtnt said:
Fortunately so does my wife. But now that I've got $10k+ in track mods, she doesn't find it quite as funny. :blush:

If this is your first DE, I'd just get the helmet,the brake fluid Tech II flush, and a performance alignment. Unless you're a born natural, you won't be pushing the car enough to utilize much else. Take your time, don't push yourself or the car, and have fun. From there you can fall into the spiralling vortex of mod $$'s. :lol: I'd bet its easier to get off crack than this hobby. :rofl:
:yeadog:

Sal

1 - 10 of 10 Posts