Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard alot of good things about these trunk partitions lately and have understood you guys have been happy with them. Has anyone tried to build their own, and if so, how did you go about it? They seem to be an expensive item for being so simple...and Im always about saving money. Thanks guys :z: :z:

·
Registered
806 Posts
I tried to find someone locally that had one so I could get the deminsions from but no luck. :cry: I had to buy one instead but I am sure that the materials and labor are not worth the $200, $300 and even $400 some people charge. If you can find one and get the specs. , I am sure it would be very easy to build and it would work just fine! :thumb:

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Like I said, search. There is a downloadable AutoCAD template around, someplace. I printed it out on the large format plotter at work and then cut the shape from MDF I bought at Home Orange (or was it Home Blue? I don't remember but it hardly matters).

If your interior is black, like mine, odds are good you'll find some deccent matching carpet at the same time you're picking up the MDF.

The Template, a Jigsaw, a pair of scissors and a Staple Gun is all that's required.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I Did

I DID MY OWN BEFORE PEOPLE THOUGHT ABOUT THEM.
MY FIRST ONE A USED CARDBOARD THAT WAS TRIMED
OUT TO FIT.USED IT TO MADE PLYWOOD AND THEN FUNISHED IT OUT.
LOOKED GREAT AND WORKED VERY WELL.THIS WAS IN 01-02 THEN MY COST WAS LESS THAN 70.00 BUCKS.HOPE THIS HELPS :yeadog:

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
SGT. PYLE said:
I am sure that the materials and labor are not worth the $200, $300 and even $400 some people charge. :thumb:
I will agree with you about the material cost and labor cost.I pay premium for labor because I expect premium service and product, about $25.00 an hr.Material cost is not that bad either.The expensive parts is what goes on behind the scene that people do not realize.Spending time creating and researching different materials,marketing your product via magazine,websites,forum sponsorship.These things do cost money-Now with that said I will ad a few more to the list.Building a product that fills a "SMALL NITCH" in the industry of aftermarket parts that must meet the requirements of every possible kind of person you can imagine, someone that can not be disapointed when they slide their new product out of the box.

You must also leave room for profit for both your self and for your VENDORS.Your vendor expects to make a certain amount of money each time they sell your product,and if they do not make enough money then they complain.Business is a win win situation..When it does not become a win win situation than things do not go so well.

We build an outstanding product that no one can duplicate,It is not cheap to do, and as you can tell from the picture above when it is done cheap($159.00) it just does not float.

Sorry about the rant,Just my 2 cents!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thats okay ANDY....I ordered the template last night from fixedroofcoupe.com. I know your partitions are of better quality and all, but right now I just cant afford one like that. I am going to get some mdf and get after it. Thanks for everyones help!!!

·
Banned
15 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts