Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious as to the amount of "pain" involved in a DIY cam only mod.
Has anyone done this in their own garage with only jack stands and a hyd jack?
What is entailed?

Thanks
Jim

·
Registered
133 Posts
I've done it and it takes about a day and a half including the springs. I'm doing it again next week when I install Andy's Procharger. Take a look at www.ls1howto.com for detailed instructions.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks man!

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
torchedZ said:
I've done it and it takes about a day and a half including the springs. I'm doing it again next week when I install Andy's Procharger. Take a look at www.ls1howto.com for detailed instructions.
Thanks. Looks like a good site.
D.J.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I used the same site as torchedz referenced. I did it in my garage on jack stands. There would probably have been some advantages to using the base auto shop. I don't have air tools...some of the air ratchets would have been nice and really cut down on the bloody knuckles! :eek:: It was my first time in an engine in a long time and I found the instructions to be right on. It took me a little longer...more like two full days. I would definitely do it again! :thumb:

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I did mine in my garage with Jack stand. It took me about 3 days total, spread out over a weeks time. Not my daily driver, so I was taking my time. It was actually fun for me to do and I learned a lot about the car. The hardest part I think was removing and installing the pulley, getting some of the accessories off, and installing the new valve springs. I used the same website mentioned above.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
DavidGP said:
I did mine in my garage with Jack stand. It took me about 3 days total, spread out over a weeks time. Not my daily driver, so I was taking my time. It was actually fun for me to do and I learned a lot about the car. The hardest part I think was removing and installing the pulley, getting some of the accessories off, and installing the new valve springs. I used the same website mentioned above.
Did you have any problems removing and reinstalling the rack? That is something I have never done and would like to do the cam install myself next time.

Thanks, D.J.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
The rack was no problem at all. It came right out easliy without trouble. You dont really remove it, you move it out of the way.

·
Registered
265 Posts
As the others said, follow the directions on ls1howto.com it is not hard, just a little nerve racking the first time. Remember you need the proper tools though. Valve spring compressor, pulley remover/installer, and a method to holding up the lifters and valves.
If you take your time it will be no problem at all. Do not set a timeframe, and do not try to do too much in one day, you'll go nuts after about 10 hours.
It took me about 2 days, but the second time around I'm sure I could do it in 1. Remember if you plan on ever installing underdrive pulleys now is the time.
While you are in there, I would also highly recommend better push rods and timing chain. They both have to be removed anyway.
As far as pain, there were far less bloody knuckles suffered than when I put in the headers.

Good luck, keep us posted on the progress and if you get stuck we will help as much as we can...

Dave

·
Registered
200 Posts
Its pretty easy actually lots of work but nothing really hard. I used the heat the pulley in the oven trick this time and the pulley slid right back on!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts