Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drove over to visit my daughter at daycare during lunch today. It was cold and snowy, but I took it easy and just pootled over there. I parked and went in for about 45 minutes. When I came back out and started the Z, things got weird. The DIC went crazy telling me I had "Low Fuel" and that I should "Service Engine Soon" and that I had "Reduced Engine Power" and that I should "Service Traction System" and "Service Active Handling". The temperature gauge was buried over at 260 and the fuel gauge was buried at the Full mark. The active handling light was on as was the security light. I turned it off, waited a few seconds and started again. Got pretty much the same thing then all quieted down until I just had the Active Handling and Traction System service messages flashing back and forth on the DIC. I drove it anyway and everything seemed as normal. Got back to work, turned it back off, took out the key, opened the door then shut it and cranked it back up. All is back to normal.

Just a fluke or should I have it looked at?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
That sounds pretty messed up. I can understand or see maybe one fault display on the DIC but all that, might want to have it looked at at the dealer. Somethin might be a miss' there.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
On my '01 Coupe something similar happened, the service traction control and active handling message went on in the DIC. I shut the engine off, restarted, and the message went away and it never came back. My Olds last week, traction control, ABS brakes, low washer fluid light, and the odometer kept switching form English to Metric along with the transmission shift indicator flashing through all different selections. Again I shut the car off and restarted and everything was normal, and has been normal since then. Who Knows? If it doesn't do it again on you, then I wouldn' take it to the dealer.

carzzy

·
Registered
291 Posts
do do ....do do....do do....do do What you have just witnessed is someone entering into the TWILIGHT ZONE. :D :D :D

Sounds like the DIC was giving the the wrong message by the hyper- reducinator which could be linked to a shrunken Pluto-socket o-ring that regulates the Winkle belt. If , because of the cold weather and moisture, your Winkle belt slipped you could have recieved an errant code(s).

At least that's how I explain it to my wife.:p :p

I guess if none of that make any sense, you can always get a second opinion from a mechanic.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I have had this happen twice once I was about 8' from a hotel door the other time I was about 10' from a gas station door. I thought the door sensors might have caused it.:( :(

·
Registered
386 Posts
I seem to remember that there is sometimes an issue in very cold conditions. The computer may be erratic until it warms up some. The active handling also must warm up to get brake fluid viscosity to minimums.

I do not think that the X-band microwave door openers are the problem (they are only about 100 milliwatts in power or .1 Watts).

I run 25, 35, & 45 watt Ham transceivers in my Z06 and it never misses a beat.

I would look for the cold connection to the problems.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Maybe your car just caught a cold. I've noticed that when it is very cold out that LCD electronics don't like to work very well. Maybe a similar thing happened with the DIC:cheers:

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Check for stored trouble codes. With that much freaking out, its possible there are alot of them. Clear them all and see what happens. If it doesn't set any TCs after that, then it was probably just a freak thing due to the cold weather :D.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the helpful replies. I guess I will just watch it and see if it happens again. Everything has been fine since the "incident".

·
Registered
576 Posts
:roll:

GOLD72

1 - 12 of 12 Posts