Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
here's the deal,
i'm driving home today on the interstate, running 70ish about 1/2 tank of gas, when, all of a sudden, i see my red "check guages" light and notice on the computer display it reads "low fuel" and the analog fuel guage reads dead azz empty! i KNOW that i have at least 1/2 a tank of gas.
well, about 5 min and a few miles later, everything goes back to normal.what's up?
should i take the car in to have it looked at or wait to see if it happens again?
also, occasionally, at a light, the car seems to idle a little rough, and when i turn the motor off, it sorta feels like the engine "shakes" a little.
is this normal, like high compression or something?
any guidance would be appreciated.
thanks,
paul

·
Premium Member
7,247 Posts
Yep. Happened to me one time in my 02 Z. Never happened again. At the time someone told me it was a buildup of something in the tank from winter fuel additives????? Whatever, it never happened again.

Joe

·
Registered
259 Posts
zipnz said:
here's the deal,
i'm driving home today on the interstate, running 70ish about 1/2 tank of gas, when, all of a sudden, i see my red "check guages" light and notice on the computer display it reads "low fuel" and the analog fuel guage reads dead azz empty! i KNOW that i have at least 1/2 a tank of gas.
well, about 5 min and a few miles later, everything goes back to normal.what's up?
should i take the car in to have it looked at or wait to see if it happens again?
also, occasionally, at a light, the car seems to idle a little rough, and when i turn the motor off, it sorta feels like the engine "shakes" a little.
is this normal, like high compression or something?
any guidance would be appreciated.
thanks,
paul
Welcome to the club. Short answer it happens, do a search for fuel guage or fuel tank and I am sure you will find a lot of other's with the same problem . You will also find a lot of POSABLE cures some seem to work other's not . As for taking it to the dealer for warranty work I would take it in, there are service bulletins on the problem
BOB :cheers:

·
Registered
396 Posts
I had this problem once, but it was permanent. For about two weeks the car always said empty at around 1/2 a tank, and after I filled it completely it would not say the car was full. Took it to the dealer, and they replaced the sending unit for the feul gauge, or something like that. At any rate, it's a minor problem you can check out whenever it's convinient to.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I think the "shaking" you are talking about has do to with the fact that you are turning the car off with the clutch out. Push the clutch pedal in when you turn the car off and see if the shaking goes away.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I thought the fuel gauge issue was an '01 problem. :-?

·
Registered
806 Posts
I have the same problem after about every 5 or 6 fill-ups. Get some B-12 Chemtol and throw in the tank now and then and it will be O-K! :thumb:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the quick replies. i'll check it out
paul :usa:

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
It happened to me last Sunday. I passed a gas station and looked at my gas gage and it read 1/4 tank. 2 miles down the road and "bing", LOW FUEL light. I turned around and went back to the station. The car filled up with 18 gallons. The gage reads full and the low fuel light is off. :screwy:

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
Usually it means the fuel sending unit needs to be replaced but...just two weeks ago I had a similiar problem. I pulled into a Chevy dealer and got that black bottle of fuel injector cleaner or gas additive..

Added it to the gas tank as instructed...and the fuel sending unit issue disappeared.

Its the sulfur content in the fuel thats causing the problem.

I'd suggest...getting that fuel injector/gas tank additive from a chevy dealer...putting it in with near a full tank of gas..

and if you can stay with tier one fuel companies..

I believe Chevron or shell should be your first choice. (if possible)

HTH

JB

·
Registered
329 Posts
It happened to me for the 1st time a couple months ago, After 2 straight tanks of Shell gas. After reading posts on this forum I ran a couple cans of Chemtool B- 12 through & no more Shell & the problem has disappeared I`m thinking it was the Shell, as that was the 1st time I had run 2 tanks of it in a row. Now I`m putting a bottle of Techron every other tank or so & it seems to be fine! This forum is the BEST!! :cheers:

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
FWIW, Shell had a big problem with sending unit damage due to high sulpur/sulfur several months ago. It might have been in the southeastern US, but I'm not positive, and it might not have been limited to there.

The GM injector cleaner JBsZ06 recommended is supposed to be stronger than Techron. It's only supposed to be used about once a year, and I was told the Techron can be used every fill-up.

It's on the lower right here, but I'm not sure the 12 oz. size is still available.

http://www.gmgoodwrench.com/PartsAccessories/EngineProducts.html

·
Premium Member
6,325 Posts
Congratulations on the Z and welcome to :z:
Folks above are "on it"
Make this your first (and usually your only) place to search thread discussion history on any aspect of the Z imaginable (and some unimaginable !) :thumb:
If you don't find an answer in a thread search, ask and ye shall receive! :yeadog:
Enjoy the ride! :jammin:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts