Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a friend with a 2002 Z06 called me this week to help diagnose what turned out to be a spontaneous (and total) battery failure, I started reading some of the posts on the subject. It looks like a lot of the AGM batteries die in this fashion. Some folks have mentioned that the case on them can crack from "swelling".

Geez, swelling is a nice term. Mine was swollen like an egg on both ends. It literally looks like it could burst!

I put in a red top Optima, basically because it was easier than fabricating a mount for a Hawker Odyssey. I hated adding 5 pounds, but a 34/78 Optima drops right in and bumps the CCA from the stock 500 to 800.

If you still have a stock AGM battery, you may want to take a look at it.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
I took my stock battery out and replaced it about two months ago to prevent that happening to me. I would be very upset if I missed a race because my battery burst on me.
However, my battery looked fine (stock 02).
:cheers:

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Yep, I looked at mine just 3 days ago...

...When I had to take it out and replace it with a Red Top (also) 'cause the thing was dead for the final time. (I found recently that if I went anymore than a week without driving the car, the battery was completely dead -- and this was going on for a while.)

I have heard that the stock battery is simply a POS. I'd agree with that!

The good part about all of this? The Red Top matches the Z06 valve covers nearly perfectly! :jammin:

-Kirk

·
Premium Member
1,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
KMeloney said:
The good part about all of this? The Red Top matches the Z06 valve covers nearly perfectly! :jammin:
-Kirk
LOL, That was the first thing my friend commented on when he put in his. I have to agree :)

·
Registered
318 Posts
Glad mine didn't leak. Anyway, here's how it looks. Pardon the filth. With 2 little kids, it's hard enough finding time just to wash the outside. :)

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
Has anyone changed out their stock battery for an Ultima with a I/C Mag intercooler installed? I want to get rid of the stock battery before it leaks onto my computer and all the cables under the battery holder. Any suggestions? I know the Ultima has two terminals on top that could make the water tank sit up too high for the hood to close.

·
Registered
692 Posts
costco has them in this area.last time i saw them there they were 99.00.also,anybody who sells interstate batteries can get them.interstate bought them out.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Check my battery frequently and have an Autometer trickle charger on it. Last week, noticed it was gaining water (acid) weight since it was definitely starting to bulge at the sides. Red Top Optima went in the next day - cost was $100.

·
Registered
348 Posts
My battery was DOA the day of delivery :puke: I've had a standard AC Delco battery since. I was told you still need to keep an eye on these, they will leak acid around the terminals and run down the cables to the PCM :eek: My '02 Duramax had both batteries replaced at around 30k miles or 8 months :mah: At least it died in the driveway, but since I blocked both bays I had to wait for GM Roadside Assistance to get me a tow :mad: I'll be buying Optima's next time :cheers:

·
Registered
346 Posts
XFordGuy said:
I put in a red top Optima, basically because it was easier than fabricating a mount for a Hawker Odyssey.
Its quite easy to install a Hawker in the stock location. I used a universal hold down and universal j rods bought at Pep Boys. You simply remove the battery tray, measure and drill holes for the j rods, attach them, bolt the tray back in place, install the battery, and finally attach the hold down. See pic below for a finished install.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Very nice looking install. I think that's the way I'll go when the time comes. :z:

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Devoz said:
Its quite easy to install a Hawker in the stock location. I used a universal hold down and universal j rods bought at Pep Boys. You simply remove the battery tray, measure and drill holes for the j rods, attach them, bolt the tray back in place, install the battery, and finally attach the hold down. See pic below for a finished install.

What size Hawker Odyssey Battery did you use, the PC925MJT ? :ity:

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Sanford said:
Has anyone changed out their stock battery for an Ultima with a I/C Mag intercooler installed? I want to get rid of the stock battery before it leaks onto my computer and all the cables under the battery holder. Any suggestions? I know the Ultima has two terminals on top that could make the water tank sit up too high for the hood to close.

Sanford--you could probably install the Optima on it's side, like the pics Devoz posted, which should give you more room for the IC Mag's tank. You could even cut the top teminals off of the Optima... ...tho' that may void it's warranty.

Hey, you're fairly close to the South Bay--come on out to Ruby's Diner, in Redondo Beach, some Friday afternoon (4-7pm). Bunch of cars there, including a lot of Vettes--look for my MY Z there--I'm usually there every Friday... :cheers:

·
Registered
346 Posts
IT L GO said:
What size Hawker Odyssey Battery did you use, the PC925MJT ? :ity:

Thats the one!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts