Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the scenario: The office staff is going to a luncheon. One of the guys who owns a Boxster asked about the Z06, and I offered to let him drive it. When we get on the freeway, this guy runs the car up to 3000 rpm's between shifts in what I believe to be a leasurely rate, but he's freaking about how quick it is. When he shifts into 6th at 60, I switch the DIC to show him the instant MPG (32). More ooohs.

He notices that the car is barely over 1000 rpm and wonders what it would be at 80 MPH. I encourage him to try it and find out. Instead of downshifting, he merely presses on the gas and meanders up to 80. In the process of doing this, we happen to pass our office manager in her Mazda Protege. When we were being seated at the restaurant, she wanted to know if that was us that went "past her like she was sitting still". The speed limit was 65, and I know we weren't up to 80 when we went by her.

I guess sometimes we take for granted just how quick these cars are.

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
Have you driven his Boxter?:eek:

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Reminds me of the time I had my modded IROC at 175...

I slowed down, to what I thought was the speed limit (wasn't really looking at the speedo). Shortly thereafter I blew by a mini van, then realized I was doing 120. When I slowed to 65 (and set the cruise control) it felt like I was crawling.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
In a related story.....I drive a desolate strip of road everyday to and from work and there is a stop sign at a set of railroad tracks. After crawling over the tracks I always practice my clutchwork and punch it, run the gears thru 3rd to 110mph before shutting it down (gets my heart pumping better than Starbucks).

While feeling that monster torque in 3rd, it feels sometime that the front of the car is barely touching the pavement and that it might "take off" any millisecond.

Anyone else feel this lightness in the front end under heavy acceleration? I like the power but I realize that it deserves respect. This car is like a handgun.

·
Z06 Power Adder Authority
3,265 Posts
Yep...its very,very relative. And once you go faster and faster, its hard to be satisfied going back to something slower. I know this from experience. ;)

This is one big reason my Z will not stay stock for long at all. It will need to run at least 122-123mph trap speeds in the 1/4 for me to be completely satisfied with it. I don't think it will take much for it to get there, either.

After taking a spin in my hot-rod, anything slower than a low-11 sec. car feels slow. Period. It's all relative, though. :D

I remember a guy asking me how fast my car was from 0-60. I told him, I wasn't sure, but it does 0-104 in 6.8 seconds (1/8 mile ET/trap). :p

That being said, if I were to strap into an 8-sec car that ran 150+ through the traps...I'd be wetting my pants.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
WA 2 FST said:
That being said, if I were to strap into an 8-sec car that ran 150+ through the traps...I'd be wetting my pants.
Yeah, I think I'd be needing a change of shorts too.

·
3,265 Posts
LOL, Mike.

Yeah, but I bet I'm not the only one who's asked a passenger to please relieve themselves before going for a ride. If you topped 175 in that IROC and you had a passenger who wasn't ready for that...I bet you had some clean-up to do. :lol:

·
Registered
803 Posts
Over the years I have come to believe that there are 3 thresholds of quickness (the rate at which things happen)
in drag racing.
#1 - 14 sec.
#2 - 9 sec.
#3 - 6 sec.

But on the street everything is relative:
- amount of throttle vs. rpm and mph
- acceleration vs. other cars
- etc.

A 12 second car on the street is BEYOUND AWESOME!

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
WA 2 FST said:
LOL, Mike.

Yeah, but I bet I'm not the only one who's asked a passenger to please relieve themselves before going for a ride. If you topped 175 in that IROC and you had a passenger who wasn't ready for that...I bet you had some clean-up to do. :lol:
Nope, I was alone. No mess. However, I was picking parts of the seat out of my ass for about a week.

·
3,265 Posts
Roger Ramjet said:
Over the years I have come to believe that there are 3 thresholds of quickness (the rate at which things happen)
in drag racing.
#1 - 14 sec.
#2 - 9 sec.
#3 - 6 sec.

But on the street everything is relative:
- amount of throttle vs. rpm and mph
- acceleration vs. other cars
- etc.

A 12 second car on the street is BEYOUND AWESOME!
Very true. It is nearly impossible to get a car that runs better than 12s to hook up effectively on the street. I find myself blowing off drag radials at 80mph in 3rd gear...oh well. If I could only get my hot-rod to hook, I'd be knocking on the high-9 second door. :(

So yes, if you have something that is low-12 sec capable, then you'll fare very well most of the time...which is why I just run from a roll. :D

Have fun, and be safe guys!

·
Registered
214 Posts
on I17 near Sedona, I looked down and noticed that chasing the traffic miles ahead got me to 154MPH. I slowed, felt the normal highway speed felling until I looked at the HUD again...still at 115. Deceptive!

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
jnation,
I have been thinking the same thing.

This morning though it was a little different. I went around a corner normally through first to give the car time to settle and be pointed straight - the road is a little bumpy. Then I hammer it in second. Well, I have always felt the rear getting a little loose under acceleration, but today it stepped way out of line. I saw AH light up and before I knew it, I was pointed back straight again with minimal correction from me.
AH rocks when saving my butt. Leaving that bad boy on for sure.

On other roads, the nose seems to be headed up. I think it is pretty neat, but still a little freaky for the first week. And still is when I don't think about it and then notice it is doing it. This seems to happen more over rough roads too.

chris

1 - 12 of 12 Posts