Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
6th gear 65-75 mph 1/4th-1/2 throttle PING!.. I know engine is at very low rpm at this range.but still should it ping...gary

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
No pingage here at any speed/rpm. I always use a quality brand super unleaded gasoline and and have never had that problem.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
On the Left Coast you can't get higher the 91 octane. Providing your car is in good tune you may need to de-carbonize your engine to eliminate an excessive build up of carbon. :cheers:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks all for reply's...been putting cheveron in..will check out the decarb.section.tks. I will say this 1st 2nd,third,forth,no knock only 5,6th from low rpm. 2000 or less...gary

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
have you tried using 76? I avoided chevron when I was living out in Hermosa after i got a couple bad tanks...

·
Registered
104 Posts
Beware of Octane boosts, most of the time they advertise they will raise the octane 7 pts or so, but they measure the pts in tenths. So it will raise 91 octane to 91.7, not too much of a boost. Your best bet is to find a reliable gas station. You would be suprised how many gas stations get caught selling low octane gas for high octane prices. Sunoco is one of the best and most reliable i have ever been to. Also they have racing fuel that is 100 octane and street legal in most places. Ive never used it but they have it in some locations.

·
Premium Member
5,475 Posts
bigbay00 said:
Beware of Octane boosts, most of the time they advertise they will raise the octane 7 pts or so, but they measure the pts in tenths. So it will raise 91 octane to 91.7, not too much of a boost. Your best bet is to find a reliable gas station. You would be suprised how many gas stations get caught selling low octane gas for high octane prices. Sunoco is one of the best and most reliable i have ever been to. Also they have racing fuel that is 100 octane and street legal in most places. Ive never used it but they have it in some locations.

Sunoco isn't available out west, and the only thing we can
get here in CO is also 91 craptane! Just like Cali

·
Registered
18,357 Posts
Some areas of the country have oxygenated gas and some don't. I believe it may affect engine performance also.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I run the new Shell premium in mine. It is suppose to have 5 times the Federal Government min of cleaners in it.

I also run a can of BG 44K in my tank every 7500 miles.

It does sound like you need a good cleaning. Hopefully this will help.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I had the same pinging issue when I picked up my car from the dealer. I thought it was bad gas so I filled up with 93 octane but it still pinged. After I ran that tank of gas some of the pinging went away, but not all of it. So I put in 3 gallons of 100 octane, then filled up with Chevron 93 octane with a bottle of the techron fuel system cleaner. About 1/4 tank later no more pinging. I have since run chevron 93 octane with ZERO pinging issues. :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts