Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Say gang, I'm having one HELL of a time with the local dealer who screwed up my clutch in my Z. I had it in for a warrenty replacement of the clutch master cyl and /or slave cyl.
In the service techs infinant wisdom, and not of my asking, he went into my clutch pack and tore it all apart. Finding an after market clutch disc they charged me over $700 for the repair and held my car hostage till I paid them! They replaced both cylinders under warrenty but charged the whole job to me cause I had the after mkt disc. I had to take the car to Houston to have it worked on and the shop there found that the clutch disc was installed BACKWARDS. which chewed up the disc hub very badly and had to be replaced. Another $750. They won't make good on their screw up SO I NEED the 1-800 number for Chevy customer relations dept (or whom ever it's called) to make a complaint about this dealer and the way they are're doing. Thanks for any help here....ZO6Bill:mad: :mad: :mad:

·
Registered
638 Posts
Also call the DMV complaint Dept. They can not perfrom any work the may constitue a charge to you without your consent. (in most States) I had the same problem with my Mercedes dealer and the State of CT DMV called them, I am getting reimbursed for all charges. Hit them every way you can, they will break.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Frankly, I'm not, generally, militant... But this instance, I wouldn't take this crap lying down! I do not believe that anyone can make unauthorized repairs or dig in your car without their permission.:mad:

·
Registered
568 Posts
Bill, I'm confused on the timeline of everything that has happened with your clutch. Can you give us more detail? I know that if I have clutch problems I'm probably going to want to go aftermarket, and I don't want that to void my warranty.

You have an earlier thread (8-30-01) where the dealer replaced both the slave and master cyl:

http://z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=35344#post35344

I am not surprised the mechanic checked the clutch disk. If he already had the torque tube off, that was just being thorough. Given all the work required to get at that stuff, it is only natural to check what you can while you are in there (especially if the mechanic wasn't sure of the root cause).

Putting myself in the mechanic's shoes, I'd be a little miffed if the owner didn't mention that it was a different clutch disk. But I've probably missed some background on this.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Frank for the Nr. I will call the dealer general manager (I HOPE) today. If that fails, and I figure it will, I'll call the BBB and the Chevy Customer relations people.
Yea it's a bummer alright, I have not had my car for a while now as the tuner shop has a bunch of other stuff going on besides my clutch.
Briank: Yea after the post where they replaced the slave and master cyl, I got the car and the clutch didn't work nearly at all! and it made a terable racket. The guy in the shop said it was the after mkt clutch. Well I took it to the tuner in Houston who put it in and they finally got around to look at the clutch and first thing out was "The disc is in backwards". The flywheel bolts had also chewed up the disc hub pretty badly so they replaced it with a new disc. All seemed well and the clutch worked flawlessly. The dealer had charged me $750 to "reinstall" the clutch system that they took out. The original service papers stated replace or repair the clutch master or slave cyl as needed. Nothing on the invoice says change the clutch!
Well after I got the car from the tuner I found a vibration in the engine above 3000. Befor I hadn't run it up that much due to the loud noises from the clutch so I didn't know of the vibration till all was done. The tuner thinks that the flywheel may have incured so minor damage that only showes up with rpm??? Working on that!! By the way the dealer DID charge the master and slave to WARRENTY. and they have to pull the drive train to replace the slave. So WHY should I pay $750 for them to look at the clutch? And now I have another bill for a new disc, refacing the flywheel and labor and maybe a new flywheel??? There fault ! but they don't want to admit their mistake nor pay for it and take the
responsibility.
Thanks again for the help here guys. The sogga continues

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I have to go see the general mgr I guess tomorrow and show him the clutch disc and talk with him. He seems like he is intrested in the problem and finding a solution ??? we'll see.
Them on to the area svc rep and to chevy "C.R." :( :eek:
Will post a new thread when I get some where with this crap as it will probably be a while??:mad:

·
Registered
568 Posts
Good luck Bill! Try and work with the guy and assume he wants to make it right.

Ignoring the weakness of the disk/pressure plate for a moment.. It is really a bummer that the master/slave are so prone to overheating/fluid bake. It is hard to believe they didn't see this problem in spades when they did their 'extensive testing'.

I've always been fond of mechanical linkages with cables myself. Maybe someone will offer a kit :lol:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts