Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Think I'm going to try hawk brake pads, trying to get rid of all the brake dust.
Warranty is going to replace my chrome wheels on my 09Z and I want a brake pad that has less dust, any body using hawk pads?

·
Registered
18,357 Posts
I've never used them but have heard nothing but good things about them. I have EBC Reds on my C6Z and they are not so great.

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
I have them on my 04z and absolutely love them. Hardly any break dust is nice too.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have 9000 miles on my Z and the brake dust is corrosive and pitting the chrome:mah:.I aready have new ps2zp tires for it, so when the new wheels come in it's getting new tires,wheels and brakes.

·
9,755 Posts
Heard that you lose breaking power with ceramics. Is that true?
True, but you won't notice much unless you track your car (or drive like you are on the track all the time :))

·
Registered
60 Posts
I went with the Monroe Premium's, knocked the dust down to much less than the OEM rears !!

·
Registered
41 Posts
my 09 Z06 is still full stock. I clean off the brake dust every weekend, but, i am on a business trip for the next 2 weekends and the wheels are dusty. Is that a high risk of causing corrosion on a stock chrome wheel in a dry climate?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Ceramic pads are great for the street. My wife's '04 coupe uses them with virtually no dust. However, IMHO, I would not use ceramic pads on the track since they retain too much heat. I use a compromise pad (Hawke HPS) that works pretty good with minimal dusting, and minimal rotor wear. I just received a set of HP+ that I will try in a couple of weeks. They are noisy, give off lots of dust, and increase rotor wear but, they are supposed to stop REALLY good and dissipate lots of heat.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ceramic pads are great for the street. My wife's '04 coupe uses them with virtually no dust. However, IMHO, I would not use ceramic pads on the track since they retain too much heat. I use a compromise pad (Hawke HPS) that works pretty good with minimal dusting, and minimal rotor wear. I just received a set of HP+ that I will try in a couple of weeks. They are noisy, give off lots of dust, and increase rotor wear but, they are supposed to stop REALLY good and dissipate lots of heat.
I have the HP plus on my STI, i wouldnt reccommend for daily use, they are very noisy and annoying but stop mighty well on the freeway :yeadog:

·
Registered
38 Posts
I use Hawk Ceramics on a car other than my Vette, and love them (reduced brake dust, good street performance), and when my Vette pads need to be changed, will use them as well (haven't decided on the padlets or the 1 piece yet...)

·
Registered
5 Posts
EBC Carbon Kevlar Brake Pads

I just put EBC Red padlets on my c6z. I think they're at least as good as stock pads when it comes to bite. Way better when it comes to dust. Way better.

I've never used them but have heard nothing but good things about them. I have EBC Reds on my C6Z and they are not so great.

·
Administrator
21,250 Posts
Re: EBC Carbon Kevlar Brake Pads

I just put EBC Red padlets on my c6z. I think they're at least as good as stock pads when it comes to bite. Way better when it comes to dust. Way better.
That just goes to show that you are way better than Norman! :lol: :lol:

Mike

·
Registered
103 Posts
in some of the responses- some people have replaced the padlets with the one piece design. are the one piece design pads as good/better than the padlets?? if so, then which brand. thanks,

·
Premium Member
827 Posts
EBC blues.. hardly noticeable fade from repeated 140mph slows to ~90 every ~2:08 along with a few other hefty slows in between.
not a great initial bite but a very progressive pad with hardly any dust.

·
Premium Member
4,362 Posts
I have two sets, one for the Z and a set for a pro turing Camaro I'm building.
Haven't tried them yet but read good things about them.

·
Banned
51 Posts
I have no experience with Hawk ceramics but understand they are a basic street pad. I have used both Hawk HPS and Hawk HP+ many times on my former Mustang and I have HP+ on my Z now. The HPS is a good compromise for a street car that goes to the track occasionally with an inexperienced driver. The HP+ is a good compromise for a street car that goes to the track occasionally for an experienced driver. With the right brake fluid I have never experienced brake fade with HP+ pads driving/braking hard. As for dusting the HP+ pads are a constant dusting. The HPS pads are much better with this.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts