Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
I saw a special about the HANS on the Discovery channel. I am amazed at how advanced safety restraints have become. But the nature of restraints and the speeds we see in racing today definitely require head/neck restraints, IMHO. Imagine the g-loads that are applied to your head+helmet in a crash where your body is restrained but your neck is free to move. The program said the force was more or less equal to the weight of a car, but applied to less than a square inch of your body. That area happens to be the base of the skull, which is why so many have died due to basal skull fractures. It's the same as getting hung, the neck just snaps.

Back to your original question; HANS is the only one that I've heard of, but from what I've seen it is a very high-quality peice of equipment.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
battles, I saw the same special I believe - very interesting stuff.

There are a few others besides HANS - Hutchens and ISAAC come to mind.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
HANS is the only one that is SFI certified.

I bought a HANS device early last year. It took about 1/2 weekend to get used to it, but now I feel naked without it.

It does take more work to get "ready" to race with the HANS, but then again, you cannot race if you are dead.

My prerace procedure:

#1. move gloves, balaclava, radio ear bud, helmet, HANS device onto passenger seat; move harness belts "from" seat (shoulder straps to each side and back; laps belts to side; sub belt hanging forward from seat)
#2. sit in drivers seat
#3. install window harness
#4. check radio for power
#5. move lap and anti-sub belts in place and fasten losely to camlock
#6. Slide HANS device over neck
#7. place shoulder harnesses over HANS device
#8. fasten shoulder harnesses to camlock
#9. tighten lap and should harnesses
#10. move gloves to steering wheel (hanging in front of me)
#11. put radio ear bud in place
#12. slide balaclava over head, making sure not to dislodge ear bud
#13. put helmet on, make sure chin strap is properly secured
#14. lock HANS device straps onto helmet (left and right)
#15. attach radio wiring (2 wires)
#16. at "5 minute" warning start car, check gauges, retighten harnesses
#17. at "2 minute" warning place gloves on respective hands, left hand first, retighten harnesses

·
Registered
51 Posts
I actually met one of the original developers of HANS. He gave a lecture on 'injury mechanics' (an engineering look at how we get hurt). It was at a nice dinner for students and alumni. He had some amazing data in regards to how much acceleration the human body can temporarily withstand, alot of it based on some crazy tests a guy did on himself back in the 50's with a rocket powered sled and eventually died from.
Since tests like that are no longer allowed for obvious reasons, most data comes from crash video. They review crash video and try to simulate what is happening to the human body during the crash and try to create protection based on the simulations. Then any simuliar accident with the new protection is looked at for effectiveness.
HANS was NOT developed exclusively for nascar, the development was supported heavily by GM for use in various racing series that the company participates in. The guy continues to work for GM as a consultant. I imagine if they developed it, then they have the patent, and therefore no else can sell them, hence market domination by a single 'brand'.
Just so you guys have some background information.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
What else is there? Why does F-1, Nascar, and others pick it? Because it works. From the first time in the car it never bothered me. The release is easy. The data is there with all the different racing organizations to test and anaylize. Your head basically continues to go straightforward in an accident parallel with the road surface. It does not roll towards your stomach with your chin towards your chest. Look at the anchor points of the HANS and how it parallels forward head movement. Hutch may as well be a bunch of sash cord like. There have been a bunch of documented crashes with the HANS. I had the Hutch on when I started looking and it was a joke. The were many variables when adjusting it and putting it on. You can resell a HANS what would you do with a bunch of old straps like the Hutchension. The other one has shock absorbers but they look like the wrong angle to me. HANS KISS. JMHO I would not get in a car without it. I took my GF for a ride once since I had it. She wore it in case anything happen. She cooks better :D I tell you it was not a good feeling. I raced offshore boats and witnessed a bunch of fatalities from basal skull fractures. Two, three or more every single year dead. Happy to see your seriously thinking about it Joe. :thumb:

Remember it's the cost pf about 2.5 sets of race pads. When you use the pads there gone. I have used my HANS Joe what would it be worth to you used? The most your could ask is the send it back to have the two little strapes replaced and inspected. It is so simple it's a nobrainer to design when we look at it now. But we didn't :D

·
Registered
744 Posts
Some HANS questions:
1) How much does it cost - (from above 2.5 sets of pads = $1000) - is that the cost?
2) Do you need a special helmet?
3) Do you need a special seat?
4) Does it work in side crashes, rear crashes or only front?
Thanks!

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
I looked into this in depth before last season and decided to go with a HANS for several reasons. I looked at ISAAC, Hutchins and several other similar devices. The others seemed to be too much of a pain to get on and off for little added benefit and the HANS appeared to have the most documented track record in frontal impacts.

The HANS doesn't provide as much side impact protection as some of the others, but there are some new seats out with side impact protection built in that make this OBE.

I chose an Economy, Small, Model 20 and has David said, now feel naked without it on the track. While HANS will put mounts in your helmet, they also provide instructions on how to do it and I know several people that did it themselves. In my case, I bought a new Simpson helmet with the HANS mounts built in. :cheers:

·
Registered
558 Posts
I use the HANS Device and recommend any one that goes on a track wear one. Yes, it's an additional expense but if it stops me from being a "quad" or dead it is well worth the cost; it also reduces the pain/soreness from impacts with the wall or another car whether low or high speed. It also reduces side to side head/neck movement/motion which is plus over the other systems.
Cost is approx $1000 depending on model. It doesn't wear out tho it and your helmet should be checked for stress/visible damage after an impact.
I would recommend sending your helmet to them for installation and also purchase the Quick Disconnect option--much easier to get on and off with no sacrifice of safety.
As David said or implied, your shoulder belts must be properly placed and tight and then rechecked and tightened again and ideally you should check periodically during your race, but, of course, you do that anyway:)

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
it also reduces the pain/soreness from impacts with the wall or another car whether low or high speed.
Your comment reminded me of a conversation I had with someone at Mid Ohio. I was with either Chris Ash or Chris Brannon. Whoever it was had a big crash at the June Sprints earlier in the year. I saw the end result in some in-car video provided by Lance Knupp. The Vette was really banged up.

The driver, Chris ?, said that he felt absolutely no ill-affect (soreness, headaches, etc) the next day from the crash. He attributes this to the HANS device he wore.

I think it was Chris Ash...

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
99cobra said:
Some HANS questions:
1) How much does it cost - (from above 2.5 sets of pads = $1000) - is that the cost?
2) Do you need a special helmet?
3) Do you need a special seat?
4) Does it work in side crashes, rear crashes or only front?
Thanks!
The shoulder belts cannot come around a standard stock Z06 seat. It is to wide of a spread. The website has a 70+ page owners manual you can download and print. There is a basic layout on one page for maximum mounting width and shoulder belt height.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
In addition to the HANS device, and with apologies to David, there actually is another head and neck restraint that has met SFI 38.1--The R3. Their website and the SFI website are below:

http://www.lfttech.com/

http://www.sfifoundation.com/manuf.html#38.1

I have never seen the R3 in the flesh, but it appears to attach to the driver and does not use the seat belts in any way so it may be more versatile than the HANS, perhaps better in side impacts, and easier when getting in and out of the car. It also appears less bulky. I have a call in to them and will post more as I learn about it. Hopefully it will be a little less expensive, too, though since it is all carbon fiber, I doubt it.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
David Pintaric said:
Yeah, you better say you're sorry!! :D

I had not heard of this R3 until this week, so it must be new. Looks promising, though. :coo:

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
fatbillybob said:
For you HANS users have any of you ever had the device slip off your shoulder belts? There seems to be crash dumb videos of this happening. Any comments?
No, but I've never crashed to put them to the test either. During a race, they stay on fine.

I have a Simpson six point camlock system with a Cobra Suzuka kevlar racing seat.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts