Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I personally don't have this problem but I've been told by couple guys that the vettes (C5s including Z06s) tend to develop dirty, wet, oily residue on the outside and around head gasket area that almost looks like small leaks - they referred to it as the gaskets sweating...
Is there any truth to that about our vettes? If so, anything that can be done about it or to be concerned? ...and why would something like that be happening?

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Now I have to go out and look at my head gaskets. Did you see anything up with your car? I would think the head gasket heats and cools at a different rate than the aluminum block and heads. Maybe sweat beads form on the perimeter of the head gasket during a cool down cycle. That's really :screwy:.

D.J.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Hmm .. mine are dry. If the "oily substance" is stuff from the inside of the motor getting to the outside it is a leak, IMHO. If it is the normal "grit" that you get on a motor collecting in the gasket area due to condensation (for example) as the gasket would cool down at a different rate than the rest of the motor than I would say that is normal.

Les

Zmydust said:
I personally don't have this problem but I've been told by couple guys that the vettes (C5s including Z06s) tend to develop dirty, wet, oily residue on the outside and around head gasket area that almost looks like small leaks - they referred to it as the gaskets sweating...
Is there any truth to that about our vettes? If so, anything that can be done about it or to be concerned? ...and why would something like that be happening?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts