Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'm trying to decide on which headers I'm going to get. This is for an 02 ZO6. I narrowed my choices down to long tubes only and have only seen TTS and TPIS headers. They both come coated, but the TTS headers are about $200-$300 more. The TTS headers are also only 1 5/8" and the TPIS headers are 1 3/4". I'm leaning towards the TPIS headers, but I'd like your folks input?

I'm also interested in which X-pipe is better? Bassini or Corsa? And is there a kit out there to mate up the long tube headers to an x-pipe and then to the stock exhaust system, thus removing the cats? Or do I have to get a muffler shop to custom do it and weld stuff up?

Thanks for any and all help and info.

·
Registered
70 Posts
My oppinion

I run the TPIS headers, and think they are GREAT for the money! You will have to have someone weld the pipes up for you, but it is pretty easy for any muffler shop. I would pass on the x-pipe in general, as I really don't think that they help performance any.

·
Z06 Maniac!!
1,541 Posts
Don't forget DRM's long tubes. Ceramic coated. www.dougrippie.com I haven't seen anyone gain more from long tubes than the 19 rwhp and rwt we got on my Z06 when it was otherwise stock.

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
I see that theTPIS intake ports dont exactly match the LS6 head.....

What gives with this? TPIS says it doesn't make a difference, but I don't see how it couldn't....

JC

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
The port match is only going to matter if the header flange obscures the exhaust port on the head. If it does that, then yer gonna have a restriction. If the header flange is bigger, than you'll get an "anti-reversion" effect. I was leaning to the TPIS headers, but would match up the ports (using the gasket) to make sure there was no restriction. Then again, last time I built a motor for myself, I portmatched, and ported the oil pump. You could say I'm a bit of a perfectionist. Then again that motor was twisted to 9k rpm on one occasion, and didn't break. Oh, it was a 2-bolt, cast crank 355, it SHOULD have broken. :)

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
(Man, I miss a lot by not visiting all the different forums...)

I just (2 days ago) had TPIS headers put on my Z. No one could really tell me what made the TTS headers different from from the TPIS, and I had heard that there might have been some fitment issues with the TTS (and then there was the whole price difference thing), and so I went TPIS.

The car is downright nasty now. The acceleration is insane. I think they're what you want. :D

Oh, and incidentally, you CAN pay $1000 for the TPIS headers if you get them "stainless" coated (as opposed to the jet-hot coated ones). I couldn't justify the increase in price for having the headers perhaps look a little prettier after years of use, so I went jet-hot. Carl V. has had the same headers on his vert for a couple years now, and they still look brand new. (Incidentally, the jet-hot coating is clear, and the headers look like shiny stainless anyway.)

GO FOR IT NOW!!!

(Oh, and I got mine from MTI -- they were the only ones in the country (from what I could tell) who actually had the headers in stock.)

-Kirk

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Re: headers

dbvettez06 said:
Do you have a # for MTI??
Sure do! (281) 870-8787

Also, these folks were good enough to ship the headers right to the shop where I was having them installed. They also provided me with a UPS tracking number, and the headers showed up when promised (I think 5 days from Tx to Pa).

-Kirk

D

·
0 Posts
Kmeloney thanx for the feedback and locating the headers...They have 10 sets in stock :D Dennis

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Anytime I have posted about headers, I have ALWAYS mentioned that the aftermarket headers do not match the LS6 intakes d-shaped exhaust ports. :(

All the manufacturers can say all they want about it not making any difference but they never tested it them, just made sure they fit so that they wouldnt have to retool. they really have no idea how the headers will effect the heads long term.

look at this web site showing lt headers installed on a z06 and the difference between the gasket and header.

http://www.tonyscorvetteshop.com/Z06-Exhaust_files/index.htm

you dont think that there will be some heat buildup there? you may say it wont make a difference but you don't think over time that the long term heat effect wont cause something as minor as gasket deterioration to something as extreme as warpage on the heads? what do you think causes warpage of the heads?

just something to think about. y2khardtop did mention a $2000-3000 set of headers that GM has for the racing program... too expensive but would like to look at them.

wish anyone with tech knowledge can back me up of my concerns about these headers. we need port matched headers! C4C5? FRC Tom? 1fastdog?

Don

N4C5S said:
I see that theTPIS intake ports dont exactly match the LS6 head.....

What gives with this? TPIS says it doesn't make a difference, but I don't see how it couldn't....

JC

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
About the ports matching... It seems that the TTS and TPIS headers have enough meat to them that you could grind some of the initial tubing out some (the flange that is) to match the LS6 exhaust port up a little better?

Other than that, who knows. As for warping heads... I doubt that the extra heat from a slight exhaust mis match would create enough heat in the right place to do that. The head/block surface can warp from heat though and that only takes 300 degrees or so to do. Exhaust temps can reach above 1200 degrees or way more depending and nothing much happens. How much more heat do you really think the port mis match will create? I have some 2200 degree coating on my '96 Z-28 Hooker LT's since I run nitrous...

·
Registered
89 Posts
Go with DRM's headers: good price and great product. Available in both sizes. And no, I do not get them free or a deal on them. They are just a good product and will stay on my car!

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
I believe that you are going to get about the same hp from any of the long tube headers on the market.
I have the TPIS on my head and cam LS1.
The Z06 has the TTS headers, they are 1 5/8s vs. the 1 3/4 of the TPIS but I don't think that the 1/8th difference matters on a none head and cam car.
To be honest with you I tried to get TPIS for my "Z" but there were no sets to be found.
Good ole Nate had one set of TTS in stock and he talked me into them, plus I wanted headers now.
I am glad he did, the craftsmanship of the TTS is superior over the TTS, the install a little harder.
I got 9 rwhp from the TTS.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Has anyone looked at Mallett's headers? I really like the looks of the collector on them. It tapers much more gently than the TTS, or the TPIS headers. They look like actual race headers from a sprint car, rather than the "consumer" look of the others.

The bad? Its a mild steel, not stainless. But they are coated.

The unknown? No idea how big the primaries are.

J

·
0 Posts
I had TPIS on my 01 and was completely satisified. Total Engine Airflow in Bowling green just port matched a set of TPIS for my 02. Tony's Corvette Shop will install them the last week in September.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Just a little feedback, we have designed long tube step headers that are 1 3/4 to 1 7/8 and come with a removable collector for easy clutch changes and do come ceramic coated. We are looking at about 8 weeks or less in production.
We have designed these to relieve some typical problems with the other manufactures. One was during clutch changes we had to remove the header to access the bell housing. Now we slip off the collector. Two trying to keep the torque up in the bottom end while going to a larger pipe so we went back to a step header design. Three was having had leaks on the other header we decided to go to a thicker wall.

Ernie
BreathlessPerformance.com

1 - 20 of 22 Posts