464 Posts
I got quotes between 400-800 dollars and wound up installing

B&B short headers my self.

I hope this helps.

2Charmed

·
Premium Member
20,625 Posts
I have come to uderstand that the 'shorty' headers don't make as much power as the long tube's. That's according to threads on other forums. I was just wondering if this was true :-?

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Short tubes like the B&B's we carry are stainless steel, half the weihgt of the stock Z's manifolds and take about 2 hours to install. 10 hp is the gain we have seen with them.

Long tubes, make about 15+/- hp, and take 5-6 hours to install.

Multiply that against what your local shop charges per hour for a true estimate.

RG

·
Premium Member
20,625 Posts
SteveYelloZ06 said:
Are the pre-cats eliminated with the shortie headers on the 01'?
No. I have seen a FRC with shorties and he still had the pups on. I believe they bolt straight on to them.

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
SteveYelloZ06 said:
Are the pre-cats eliminated with the shortie headers on the 01'?
They can be if the muffler shop can do the work. You may see a slight gain by doing it. They do just bolt on. Half the weight, 16 lbs versus 32 lbs on the stock units.

RG

Pic here:

·
Registered
16 Posts
I paid $275 for my TPIS Long Tube install.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
:eek:

$340 for 3 hours work?

:eek:

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Keep in mind

Any removal of PUPS, and or cats, will VOID your emissions waranty with the GEN.............
Shorties may cost you 5-7 ponies, but at least they won't cost you your warranty, and or/fine.....or a NO PASS on sniffer..........:roll:

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Mr. TAMUZi

What is the going rate around "OUR", parts for this conversion??.....
I haven't heard anything "Reasonable", from any Tech Shops.............
Pls share,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:)

·
Registered
397 Posts
I don't understand... the 02's got rid of the pups because they found they didn't really need them to pass emissions, right? So if you remove the pups on an 01 (due to LT header install or whatever), why would you fail an emissions test?

Just curious. Here in Florida we have no emissions tests yet so when I go headers, it will be with long tubes.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Z06VERT said:
I don't understand... the 02's got rid of the pups because they found they didn't really need them to pass emissions, right? So if you remove the pups on an 01 (due to LT header install or whatever), why would you fail an emissions test?

Just curious. Here in Florida we have no emissions tests yet so when I go headers, it will be with long tubes.
02 cars have a different main cat. Supposedly its more efficient, which let them nuke the pups.

See, now if I were doing it, I'd put the LTs on, nuke ALL the cats, and run new pipes back to the junction in the exhaust ahead of the rear suspension, and run O2 sims.

That way, none of the original parts have been altered, and at smog time, they can bolt back in (ok, so you have to have time to do it).

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Mike

Sounds GREAT in theory.,..............what happens if Henry Hi Po does a pull over, and a VISUAL..........:eek:

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Re: Mike

ZO6LS6 said:
Sounds GREAT in theory.,..............what happens if Henry Hi Po does a pull over, and a VISUAL..........:eek:
Called fixit ticket. Fix it and like $10 later you're ok.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts