Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

So I'm new to this site or any forum for that matter. I own a 2010 Z06 :grin: :new_here:

Ive owned it for about 3 months now, got it with 18,886 miles. STOCK.

This is my FIRST LS engine vehicle ever, used to the Gen II blocks.

I'm aware that KOOKS and American Racing make a set of headers for the Z's(thinking Kooks right now). aside with a aftermarket Catalytic converter(s) and exhaust is there ANY way to make it emissions friendly/pass the sniff test? :help:

Thanks!

·
Z06 Tech Advisor
1,820 Posts
Stock C6 Z06 exhaust is just fine, same on ZR1s so not causing any loss of performance

The stock exhaust manifolds are like shortie headers so no real gain and even could lose torque with some long tube headers which are illegal for federal smog laws as LTH require movement of the CATs and O2 sensors and law they have to be where they were designed for
Due to those changes also means a tune is a must which is also illegal from those smog rules
Z06 also has an xpipe so nothing is needed as to performance gains use your hard earned money elsewhere

·
Administrator
21,250 Posts
I was under the impression that longtubes did help...
As Mike indicated, it all depends on what your changing from.
On the C5Z, headers can produce a relatively substantial gain in hp/tq but on the C6Z the oem exhaust manifolds are more like shorty headers and the gains are pretty small if there is even a gain at all. I've seen dyno's where there was actually a small loss of hp even after a tune.

Mike

·
Registered
20 Posts
As Mike indicated, it all depends on what your changing from.
On the C5Z, headers can produce a relatively substantial gain in hp/tq but on the C6Z the oem exhaust manifolds are more like shorty headers and the gains are pretty small if there is even a gain at all. I've seen dyno's where there was actually a small loss of hp even after a tune.

Mike
Interesting, I'll be going from stock manifolds, stock mid pipe, no mufflers to Kooks LTH 2" primaries, kooks midpipe with highflow cats and corsa sport catback.

·
Administrator
21,250 Posts
Interesting, I'll be going from stock manifolds, stock mid pipe, no mufflers to Kooks LTH 2" primaries, kooks midpipe with highflow cats and corsa sport catback.
Definitely gonna sound mean.
If you're in a position to, do a before dyno (tuned of course) and an after dyno (retuned) and see if there is any difference. The reason I say "tuned of course" is because IMHO that's the only thing that will up the hp/tq numbers. If you dyno before and than tune and dyno after the install you won't be able to tell if an increase is from the headers or the tune.

(now, if you add an aggressive new cam into the picture, the headers might help add some power)

Either way, it's gonna sound awesome. :yeadog:

Mike

1 - 7 of 7 Posts