Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After your aftermarket header installation did you guys go back and re-check the torque on your header bolts? About how many miles, or how much time did you let elapse before you re-checked?

·
21,351 Posts
I ran a socket over them once to make sure they didn't loosen up. What I do when I have the hood up for what ever reason, is check for leaks, which would be evident by exhaust soot.

·
Registered
327 Posts
If you used the steel gaskets chances are they are fine. If you used a composite gasket you will definitely want to re torque after a few heat cycles.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I used the stock bolts and the LS1 header/exhaust manifold gasket. I havent retorqued them or checked then since I put them on in Jan 05, no leaks though.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I used the Breslin locking bolts.

I haven't needed to re-torque them ... and so far (over 1K miles) there hasn't been any leaks with the composite gaskets that were supplied with my headers.

By the way, I hear a lot of talk about using the factory steel gaskets with your headers. I'm sure it works for most, but IMOP it's asking for leaks.

Think about it, even with 1/4" flanges, headers are not machined as true as a cast iron exhaust manifolds. :eek:

Headers need the extra material in a composite gasket to provide the "filler" for a good seal.

Best of luck to ya. :zboobie:

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
LG reccomended them over the composite ones, I have both but used the metal ones.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts