Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if I should JetHot coat my new shortys for my 02.
JetHot says a 25% reduction in temps (where, I don't know).

If there IS an insulating factor, does this mean better exhaust scavenging (like wrapping headers with the old asbestos tape wrap) hence more hp better flow?

Will the insulating properties affect the sound?

Then there is the "eye appeal". The stainless headers turn a warm brown color, where as the JetHot would stay a bright silver.

Looking for both technical advice and "what looks good" advice

Thanks
:cheers:

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
FYR, I am still waiting for my "source" to give me the go-ahead on their header development (which has been painstakingly long). I have spent quite a bit of time examining both existing header options and those yet on the "drawing board". In conjunction with my header research, I have been looking into protective coatings. Coatings do provide insulation from heat loss - which certainly keeps the underhood temps a little lower. People much more knowledgeable than me attest to coatings increasing the scavenging effects, so I tend to believe that claim. As for noise reduction - I cannot say.

Conclusion number one for me is that yes, I would definitely coat the headers.

Conclusion number two is that I would seriously consider Swain Technologies (www.swaintech.com) as a source for coating. I had previously used Jet Hot for my ZR-1 headers, but I believe that Swain may have a superior product. I have come to this conclusion after discussions with a number of people who have used this product in both race vehicles and on street vehicles. The only drawback I can see at this point is that the treatment is not as "pretty" as Jet Hot.

In any case - you might want to look at this option. :)

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Bleu,
Thanks for the reply. I was wondering if I would get any response:)

I was planning to post that since I did not get any replys on the technical end, then what were the feelings as far a "LOOKS".
The brown tone of the stainless, or the bright shiny silver of the Jet Hot. My only concern with the sound aspect was that one member just installed his set of shortys and said the sound from stock has changed (for the better) and since we both have the same mods (T-1), I didn't want to loose the sound improvement.

Like you said about color, the white is what I remember about headers of the old days, I don't know how that white would "look" under the hood, although quarters are pretty cramped, blocking a lot from view (want it to look good too)

I read you post on headers a while back, and just didn't feel like waiting. I know Halltech said only 3 hp increase with the Shortys, but I really wanted a bolt-on no cutting or welding required installation, and wanted headers cause I just think they are cool. (goes back to my late 60's early 70's musclecar days I guess):D

Thanks for the info

·
Registered
179 Posts
I Jet Hot coated my '94 shorties and I am very pleased with the looks. I also did it for the insulating factors because of the tight fit situation associated with corvettes in general. I really didn't want the problems of burning everything I had with other cars before coatings. So my vote is yes, clean-up the welding slag in the ports and in the collector before you send them in ( I purposely ordered them uncoated so I could clean them up first), since coating them will void any warranty anyway. Not because it harms them, just because your manufacturer didn't apply the coating, at least thats what is usually going on in the marketplace as far as I know. Personally I like to do a GREAT job of heat sheilding and it has always paid off. Not one problem, no burnt hoses, cables or anything. Coating & heat shielding thats the ticket! I feel the factory puts those shields on the manifolds for a good reason.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Jet hot coating looks really good. My brother had his headers and his intake done on his 69' Camaro. They came out great. I must say you should have them coated yourself instead of buying them already coated like most companys will offer. His Hooker headers started to rust on him three different times before getting fed up and sending them out on his own. Since then they have not rusted, so I think they do a better job with the coating process aftermarket:cheers: :cheers:

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
The Belanger headers I'm about to put on my '00 Coupe are coated and look great. These are suppposed to be the best available headers.

A couple of friends are also buying them from me and putting them on their cars. I won't become a dealer until I know that they are the best quality and performance available, but the bottom line is that coating does help scavenging and keeping the hot gasses flowing to the back where they should be, instead of radiating through the bare metal pipe to your engine bay and underneath your car.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts