Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When adding headers, which are better the shortie's or the long tubes? Which will give you more power? Better sound?

Also, do you need to go with an X-pipe and high flow cats or can you just do the headers? :-? :-?

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Longtubes are far superior. LG's and Kooks are best. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Long tubes will produce at least double the horsepower that "shorties". Personally I wouldn't go with shorties, but everyone has their own purposes and restrictions. You can typically see about 20 to 30 rwhp gain. I like a step header because they tend to make more low end torque along with broader horse power curve.

You do not need to go with an x-pipe but it does help with balancing and scavaging. Some types can use the existing cats, some also offer cats and some folks eliminate cats all together. You don't gain much, maybe 5 rwhp, in terms of horsepower by replacing or removing cats.

After doing your CAI and long tubes, I would suggest you have a good tune to optimize the performance.

On my 01, I gained 63 rwhp and 67 rwt from my mods: rammer CAI, BPP long tube headers, x-pipe, borla stingers and BPP custom tune.

Don

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
2001Z06 said:
Long tubes will produce at least double the horsepower that "shorties". Personally I wouldn't go with shorties, but everyone has their own purposes and restrictions. You can typically see about 20 to 30 rwhp gain. I like a step header because they tend to make more low end torque along with broader horse power curve.

You do not need to go with an x-pipe but it does help with balancing and scavaging. Some types can use the existing cats, some also offer cats and some folks eliminate cats all together. You don't gain much, maybe 5 rwhp, in terms of horsepower by replacing or removing cats.

After doing your CAI and long tubes, I would suggest you have a good tune to optimize the performance.

On my 01, I gained 63 rwhp and 67 rwt from my mods: rammer CAI, BPP long tube headers, x-pipe, borla stingers and BPP custom tune.

Don

Damn that's a pretty big ass gain in power with those mods. I am definitley looking into doing headers to go along with my Blackwing and GHL Magnum exhaust. It won't be for a couple more months but I was thinking about taking to Andy at A&A corvettes to get it tuned.

·
Registered
396 Posts
2001Z06 said:
You can also save money. The headers are the important part, x-pipe and cats don't gain you as much hp. You can find coated long-tubes for around $580-$680, as opposed to $1,400 + for complete systems. You should still gain well over 20 hp from just headers. plan on spending $580 for coated headers and another $150 or so for an exhaust shop to fabricate an x-pipe and weld it on.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Not so sure "LG's and Kooks are best" as there is no basis for this conclusion. Most populare maybe.

I went with a Tri-Y design, as opposed to the 4 to 1 design. The Tri-Y should provide better low end torque. There are three Tri-Y designs available for the C5 that I am aware of: Bassani, Bellanger and QTP. Of the three, only QTP is stainless. In general, the Tri-Y's will be more money due to the complexity of the design and additional work to fabricate them.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
vettenuts said:
Not so sure "LG's and Kooks are best" as there is no basis for this conclusion. Most populare maybe.

I went with a Tri-Y design, as opposed to the 4 to 1 design. The Tri-Y should provide better low end torque. There are three Tri-Y designs available for the C5 that I am aware of: Bassani, Bellanger and QTP. Of the three, only QTP is stainless. In general, the Tri-Y's will be more money due to the complexity of the design and additional work to fabricate them.
How do you like the QTP Tri-Y's? Any problems with them? Was the install difficult? They seem interesting but not many people have them so getting additional info is at times a challenge. :cheers:

·
Registered
185 Posts
I really like them, they are great for the street. Front O2 is just about in the stock location so heat related error codes are non-existant. Wiring for the O2's was simple. Installation was very easy. Don't have to jack engine or even remove valve covers. They come with the Random Tech X pipe and cats in either 2-3/4 or 3". I went with 2-3/4 so I didn't have to change the cat back. Change in response was immediate.

·
Premium Member
2,576 Posts
I agree with everybody else Long tubes are the only header for the Z:jammin:

I just installed the Supermaxx Long tube system, which included the LT's, X-pipe and high flow cat's.

I gained 50RWHP with a custom tune :jammin:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts