Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have found a shop to install headers for me within a week. I have decided on shorties. Would love to hear suggestions on brand and vendors.

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I cannot wait to see the #'s, I am going forward with or without the #'s they look cool enough to justify the price :D

·
Z06 Power Adder Authority
3,265 Posts
Halltech did not dyno the car with the shorties on it...they got 381rwhp corrected without them.

I believe Jim will have the car re-dyno'd this coming week with the shorties. I've heard that for the '02 cars these are just as good as LTs on the '01s b/c we have no pre-cats to begin with. We'll see.

·
Registered
397 Posts
What about headers on an '01 *without* the pre-cats?

I'd like to install long tubes on mine and ditch the pre-cats since they obviously aren't necessary judging their deletion on the 02 cars.

I had TPIS LT's on my C4 GS and liked them a lot. If I dump the pre-cats, can I install LT's on the '01 and retain the stock primary cats in their original location? I realize I'll have to fabricate connecting pipes. I'd rather avoid the shorties and go for the gusto, if feasible.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
From what I hear you can go with a long tube header, eliminate the pre-cats while keeping the main cats.
I am going with the step headers from Breathless Performance Parts (forum vendor in Davie, FL) and some form of an X-pipe, street or off-road. I will have the pre-cats removed but I have not decided on whether or not I am going to have the main cats removed. I am still debating on removing the main cats simply due to the talk about running too rich or too lean with the o2 sims.
I talked to the local GM-vette tech and he said that removing the pre-cats will not affect the warranty so that is safe. Removing the main cats can have some warranty issues if you have related problems.
I obviously want to get as much hp as I can from this mod, so the idea of missing out on ~9hp by keeping the main cats still has me thinking. I read everything I can about injector and fuel issue. That is the main reason I am still undecided on whether I am going to have the main cats removed.
You might want to check the Breathless site before you make your decision. FUBU/Les has gone with their product and loves them.

Good luck on your choice.

Don

·
Registered
75 Posts
Yup, just gottem installed on my 01 Z. TPIS Long tubes with no pup cats. Still retained the under-floor cats.
No DIC codes :cheers:, and lots of power :cool: With 18,000 miles on the Super Car tires, 1st gear is basically useless at wide open throttle. Idle is somwhat quiter, but you know the LT's have been installed the second you rap the throttle or put the Z under any load. Had them installed at Automotive Enterprise (AE)in San Carlos, California.

I will post pictures later. Some of the work involved the welding of new 3-bolt flanges onto the existing exhaust pipes so that I can remove the floor cats if need be. Not only did AE do a great job of welding the flanges, they situated them in such a way as to not make the lowest point under the car (tucked well) and also they deburred the welds inside so as not to obstruct the exhaust gas flow.

In the Bay Area Calif. most Vette people recognize Automotive Enterprise as specializing in Vette body-work but they can do header installations on C5's on a "By Appointment" basis. Call Bob Walschmidt (the company President) at (650)592-7141.

I highly recommend their work.

I can't wait to get new tires and take it back to the track for an improved ET:)

·
Registered
397 Posts
Thanks!

Thanks for the feedback!

Don -- I'm going to stick with the TPIS headers. Haven't been that thrilled with BPP quality in the past. Their headers may be just fine, though. And I'm going to keep my primary cats to avoid the air:fuel ratio hassles and other problems others have experienced. At least for now. ;)

Zed_six -- Appreciate the recommendation of AE but think I'll have my headers installed somewhere a bit closer to home. :D

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Re: Thanks!

Z06VERT said:
Thanks for the feedback!

Don -- I'm going to stick with the TPIS headers. Haven't been that thrilled with BPP quality in the past. Their headers may be just fine, though. And I'm going to keep my primary cats to avoid the air:fuel ratio hassles and other problems others have experienced. At least for now. ;)
I have the TPIS's on my '01 (pre-cats do, infact, get cut out), and the car goes like a bat outta hell! You'll be glad you went this route, I'm sure!

-Kirk

·
3,265 Posts
Re: Re: Thanks!

KMeloney said:

I have the TPIS's on my '01 (pre-cats do, infact, get cut out), and the car goes like a bat outta hell! You'll be glad you went this route, I'm sure!

-Kirk
How much do these headers cost? Are they stainless? Coated? Anyone with before and after dyno #s for them?

TIA,

·
Registered
2 Posts
01' Exhaust delima

First of all I am a newbie in posting (first time) but I have sucked an enormous amount of information from this site over the past year. I'm like a sponge and have learned a great deal from all of you, thank you!
My dilema is what exhaust should I put on my '01? If I go with the LT headers and eliminate the pre cats, what will it do to emission testing? In North Texas with don't have tailpipe sniffing but we do have OBDII testing with checking for codes on O2 sensors. (new emission standards as of 2002 in Texas)
I have just received the Halltech T-1 - the next step is exhaust. I don't want to put the LT's on, especially since they aren't just bolt on's. It is a long term decision. Another option I have read about is putting the 02' exhaust manifolds and eliminating the pre cats that way. Anybody have a opinion on the best way to go - and if you think emission testing in the future will be a problem?
Thanks for you help.
Nick

·
3,265 Posts
Re: 01' Exhaust delima

Wowzee said:
First of all I am a newbie in posting (first time) but I have sucked an enormous amount of information from this site over the past year. I'm like a sponge and have learned a great deal from all of you, thank you!
My dilema is what exhaust should I put on my '01? If I go with the LT headers and eliminate the pre cats, what will it do to emission testing? In North Texas with don't have tailpipe sniffing but we do have OBDII testing with checking for codes on O2 sensors. (new emission standards as of 2002 in Texas)
I have just received the Halltech T-1 - the next step is exhaust. I don't want to put the LT's on, especially since they aren't just bolt on's. It is a long term decision. Another option I have read about is putting the 02' exhaust manifolds and eliminating the pre cats that way. Anybody have a opinion on the best way to go - and if you think emission testing in the future will be a problem?
Thanks for you help.
Nick
Hey Nick,

Living in N. Texas as well (Collin County), I understand full-well why you are concerned and doing lots of research here. I am not sure what I'm going to do with my '02, either...which is why I've been asking a number of the same questions.

However, I can tell you that if you remove the pre-cats and the testing station is tough, you will not pass. People are going to give me a rebuttle to this by saying, "they'll never look under the car", yadda, yadda, yadda. Well, maybe not and you'll be fine for that year. But, if the testing gets tougher over the next few years around here (and I believe it will), then we may even see government sponsored/manned stations doing the testing. This means no $25-50 "payoff" will work to the inspection attendant to get your car to pass.

I would also be careful of some codes that might be thrown with the LTs. Some guys have had absolutely NO problems, but some have definitely had some issues with this. Obviously, that will be picked up by the diagnostic scan of your PCM come testing time, and will be an automatic fail.

At the same time, I'm frankly very disappointed in the B&B shorty headers that Halltech just tested on their '02 Z. They left the rest of the exhaust stock (cats and all), so it was a good test for someone like me who will keep the car 100% emissions compliant. But they picked up a whopping 3+rwhp. For $1000 that's pretty expensive power. An underdrive pulley would do better than that for 1/4 the cost.

Good luck! :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Headers with no hassle!

Wes,
Thanks for your input.
I DO WANT headers - I just don't want the uneasy feeling of guessing whether or not I will pass emission testing. I'm not too worried about the visual of seeing the headers, I am more worried about what the computer scan will show. What do the pre cats do? Do they split the duty with the main cats? For instance do they take responsibility for NOX alone? Just wondering why GM eliminated the pre cats on 02' or why they put them on the 01's?
Nick

·
3,265 Posts
Re: Re: Check out the thread in Z06 Racing

don527 said:

You must have meant NEXT wednesday. ;)

Don
Why? Because they tested them and only picked up 3rwhp? ;)

Maybe they would test better if it was done again next Wednesday. :p

I'm just thankful that Jim shared their results...the good, the bad, and the ugly.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Check out the thread in Z06 Racing

Whoa! Did he post the results of his header install? ... or am I missing a joke somewhere :)?

I checked this thread and found no info on a 3hp gain.
I also checked his original thread:
http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8458
and found nada.

I'm still waitin on the SEMA pics that you said you were gonna post the next day ;)

Where's the meat?!

Don
WA 2 FST said:

Why? Because they tested them and only picked up 3rwhp? ;)

Maybe they would test better if it was done again next Wednesday. :p

I'm just thankful that Jim shared their results...the good, the bad, and the ugly.

·
3,265 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Check out the thread in Z06 Racing

don527 said:
Whoa! Did he post the results of his header install? ... or am I missing a joke somewhere :)?

I checked this thread and found no info on a 3hp gain.
I also checked his original thread:
http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8458
and found nada.

I'm still waitin on the SEMA pics that you said you were gonna post the next day ;)

Where's the meat?!

Don
LOL...I thought you might have been the one joking, Don. They did post the results. Go to New Products/Info and look up "B&B Headers Ready for Testing". It's a poll, but Jim was kind enough to post his results down near the end of the thread.

As far as SEMA pics...that wasn't me, my friend. Never been fortunate enough to get to a SEMA show. :)

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Check out the thread in Z06 Racing

Thanks.. I'll check it out and hope it wasn't worth just 3 hp?!

The SEMA pics... that was another joke towards John... he had promised to post the pics the next day after coming back from SEMA. I never knew if he ever posted them cause after a day or two... you get tired of waiting.

Like waiting for a Hurst shifter ;)

Don
WA 2 FST said:

LOL...I thought you might have been the one joking, Don. They did post the results. Go to New Products/Info and look up "B&B Headers Ready for Testing". It's a poll, but Jim was kind enough to post his results down near the end of the thread.

As far as SEMA pics...that wasn't me, my friend. Never been fortunate enough to get to a SEMA show. :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts