Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Left headlight (when closed) is not perfectly flush with hood...Needs a slight adjustment... Looks like it can be done by loosening those 2 torx screws i see when hood is raised...Am i correct?? If so...anyone know what size torx??
Thanks!

·
Registered
296 Posts
nutbush said:
Take it to the dealer. That's what they are there for. It's under warranty isnt it?
:cheers:
Its amazing how many guys don't want to go to the dealer for minor problems.

I'm one of them.

If you think you can adjust it, try it. If you screw it up, you can take it to the dealer.

augydog :thumb:

·
Registered
881 Posts
JETBLU said:
Left headlight (when closed) is not perfectly flush with hood...Needs a slight adjustment... Looks like it can be done by loosening those 2 torx screws i see when hood is raised...Am i correct?? If so...anyone know what size torx??
Thanks!
The alignment is beneath all of the skins, so you have to remove them.
Before you start, make careful notes or drawings of how you think the headlight cover needs to move in order to be better aligned.

First, raise the headlamp assembly as much as you need to in order to access the screws on the sides (to raise, remove the rubber cap from the lift mechanism and just turn it by hand) . Remove those screws and carefuly remove the black plastic shroud that goes around the front and sides of the headlight assembly - I found it easier to remove when the headlight was not all the way open. Then remove the (4 , I think) screws that hold the top body colored skin in place - these screws do not align it as it should be pressed all the way down on top of the inner assembly. After you remove the skin panel, then you will see the alignment screws for the headlamp assembly. These are not for aligning the beam, but ARE for aligning the assembly so that the gaps will be even and the panel level with the hood, nose and fender. Study the adjustment mechanisms (separate mechanisms for lateral or vertical alignments) figure out how to adjust the alignment the way you want and finally replace the skin panel to see if your adjustments did what you hoped. I highly recommend that before loosening any of the adjustment screws, get a scribe and make enough marks on multiple surfaces to ensure that if you really mess up, you can easily get it back to where you started!

It should't be too hard if you are patient and take your time figuring out the right screws to loosen while making the adjustments. :ity:

Hey, I'm with you about not taking it to a dealer. My passengers side front fender was poorly aligned so I did that myself - with great results.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Resist said:
Actually they are there to dent, scratch and screw up your car. Fix it yourself!
And Road Test :yeadog:

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
RalphP said:
The alignment is beneath all of the skins, so you have to remove them.
Before you start, make careful notes or drawings of how you think the headlight cover needs to move in order to be better aligned.

First, raise the headlamp assembly as much as you need to in order to access the screws on the sides (to raise, remove the rubber cap from the lift mechanism and just turn it by hand) . Remove those screws and carefuly remove the black plastic shroud that goes around the front and sides of the headlight assembly - I found it easier to remove when the headlight was not all the way open. Then remove the (4 , I think) screws that hold the top body colored skin in place - these screws do not align it as it should be pressed all the way down on top of the inner assembly. After you remove the skin panel, then you will see the alignment screws for the headlamp assembly. These are not for aligning the beam, but ARE for aligning the assembly so that the gaps will be even and the panel level with the hood, nose and fender. Study the adjustment mechanisms (separate mechanisms for lateral or vertical alignments) figure out how to adjust the alignment the way you want and finally replace the skin panel to see if your adjustments did what you hoped. I highly recommend that before loosening any of the adjustment screws, get a scribe and make enough marks on multiple surfaces to ensure that if you really mess up, you can easily get it back to where you started!

It should't be too hard if you are patient and take your time figuring out the right screws to loosen while making the adjustments. :ity:

Hey, I'm with you about not taking it to a dealer. My passengers side front fender was poorly aligned so I did that myself - with great results.
DAMN! And it looked to me like it could be done by simply loosening those 2 torx screws & pivoting the right side up a slight bit.
Oh well...appreciate the info. Afrer reading what's actually involved...maybe i'll leave well enough alone! ;-)

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Resist said:
Actually they are there to dent, scratch and screw up your car. Fix it yourself!
Got that right!
My first new car was an '84 HURST/OLDS. Brought it back to dealer after a month for a slight adjustment of Hurst shifter. They screwed it up so bad...i couldn't shift! Brought it back again. I'm waiting for car in their huge lot of new cars...when all of a sudden i hear screeching tires...a skid...& huge crash! I turn around to see my brand new car smashed into 2 of their brand new caddy's! Seems one of the porters wanted to show one of his friends (who didn't even work for the dealership) how fast a HURST/OLDS can go! He was fired on the spot...i had a smashed car.
Also had another car that fell off lift at dealership...bent frame.
Hopefully this will answer your question as to why i do my best to avoid dealers!

·
Registered
1 Posts
prob just cause its a chevy that isnt off...i have a fender that is slightly off but some z06 guys said its normal..its light material an its a chevy what do you expect lol..made for performace and speed haha..i heard its easy to fix some of the cosmetics on it though for people anal like me..but i mean my dad has a 09 malibu an even he has spots that arnt flush lmao..just a chevy thing i guess..makes it better for me...maybe they spent more money on the performance an engine.which obviously they did!! gotta love the Z and i just got one!! (and yes i brought this alive just realized that) <<<<---forum nub!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts