Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone upgraded the headlight intensity?

If so, what improvement to the lights did you make?

Charlie

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've installed non pop ups. Am currently waiting for HID kits and a little different high beam housing from PIAA to try.....it uses an H-3 bulb and I'll put the HID H-3 replacement there and HID in the low beam......this is getting ridiculously expensive...BUT....my night vision ain't what it used to be

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Installed GM E-code headlights plus new 10 guage wiring with relays. Hella 100/80 H4 bulbs. Vast improvement, due to moderately decent glass and reflectors. Not up to Cibie or Bosch quality but still pretty decent cutoff line on low beam. High beam is unbelievably better over stock. Have Hella 140/100 bulbs coming in.

Likely the best bang for the lighting buck.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Check out my post on Super White Xenon bulbs.

COOLBULBS.com has them and for about $ 70.00 for both high

and low beams it's hard to beat.:cheers:

·
Registered
514 Posts
Hey 02blkZ06

If I get lights like that. Do I need to worry about the wattage?

What did you do about it?

·
Registered
291 Posts
I didn't have to add a heavy duty wiring harness. Just pulled out the stock bulbs and replaced them with the new ones. Ask the moderator to stear you to the old Super White Xenon thread.

Steve:)

·
Registered
136 Posts
I had an 01 with super whites, they were ok. Bought an 02, instantly reminded about how poor the stock DOT lights are. I tried the E-Codes with the factory H4, while the pattern on the road was better, light output was about the same... thought I wasted my money. Then I changed the bulbs to PIAA Platinums 80/80w, made a big difference. I didn't go larger because 80w is about all the stock harness can take, I didn't want to rewire. Daniel Strern says bigger wires WILL improve the output, I agree but I'm very happy with E-Codes & 80/80 bulbs. BTW higher wattage bulbs with the "plastic" DOT lenses can cause problems from the additional heat.

Bob

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
E-code headlights

Say Jacob and Rwdyryd...

...are these "E-codes" the European lights that GM installs in the export Corvette? The Covette Store has the basic upgrade for $325.00. Are these the ones you guys are referring to??

·
Registered
136 Posts
Bought my E-Codes through Fitchner Chevrolet, Forum price ~$40 ea, with bulbs. Mini harness to convert to 1 vs. 2 bulbs ~$20 ea. Thie PIAA's were ~$85 delivered. So I'm into mine for about $185, and about 2 hours labor.

Jacob,
Just sent my wheels to Panther... hope they come out as nice as yours.

Bob

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
$40 is what they used to cost before the price increase. Now they are about $80 for EACH light assembly, so roughly half the cost of our kit is just in the GM assemblies. The remainder is the harness which is plug and play and the PIAA bulbs, which are much brighter.

I can't say enough about how much better these are the stock lights. Try to find someone local to see for yourself - it really is an incredible difference. I don't think our plug and play kit can be beat for that kind of money.:cheers:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts