Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Fellow Vette Owners,
So I receintly went through with a couple mods... (vararam intake, borla stinger exhaust with a dyno tune). The guys at LA Performance (one of our sponsors) did the job and I am exstatic with the results. 377hp/371torque. Now, the fun begins... with tax season around the corner I am seeing $ign$ in my future. What I want to do next is a head and cam package. I have seen several videos of guys who have the MTI-x1 cam with the stingers. I am looking for that lopie gurgle with crazy power. For now I want to keep everything naturaly aspirated. My idea is to slowly ramping my way up to 550-600hp, then some day I will move over to the c5R block with some forced induction...
Now my question is what are the opinions... for those who have naturally aspirated engines putting down that hp what are you using... what kind of power gains can I look for with each component?

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
AFR 205's & a FTI camshaft done by Ed Curtis is what I'll be using.

The AFR's have proven themselves as well has Ed. Combining the two only makes sense.

·
Registered
138 Posts
AdrenalineJunky said:
So I receintly went through with a couple mods... (vararam intake, borla stinger exhaust with a dyno tune). The guys at LA Performance (one of our sponsors) did the job and I am exstatic with the results. 377hp/371torque. Now, the fun begins... with tax season around the corner I am seeing $ign$ in my future. What I want to do next is a head and cam package. I have seen several videos of guys who have the MTI-x1 cam with the stingers. I am looking for that lopie gurgle with crazy power. For now I want to keep everything naturaly aspirated. My idea is to slowly ramping my way up to 550-600hp, then some day I will move over to the c5R block with some forced induction...
Now my question is what are the opinions... for those who have naturally aspirated engines putting down that hp what are you using... what kind of power gains can I look for with each component?
When you decide which route you want to go and if your interested I have a set of MTI stage 2e's and a MTI X1 for sale. Good luck in your many decesions.

J

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
AdrenalineJunky said:
Its hard to estimate the power gains for each component and the effect on rwhp tends to be synergistic and not additive, i.e, you can't simply say Borlas = 40, headers = 30, for a total of 70 hp. There are too many other variables which impact the performance.

I am running a 427 C5R and am moving from Stage III LS6 heads to the new AFR heads. You will need a serious head/cam package if you are looking for 550 rwhp with a 346 cid stock engine. The cam will need to be bigger than my Johnson, and have a lot of lope which will not likely be streetable. You may also need to run >11.5:1.0 compression which in turn will necessitate the need for 110+ octane racing fuel. That kind of power is not easy to get with just a heads/cam on a stock 5.7 liter motor.

For what you are trying to achieve, I'd bolt on a Vortech or a Magnusson. The torque curves of superchargers all look like rectangles with gobs of power right off of idle. IMHO, a supercharger is a lot more bang for the buck then a H/C package but if you have to have N/A, I'd recommend saving your money and buying more cubes...

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Hey Junkie, I don't know if it's hit Chambersburg yet, but PA is rolling out emissions testing across the state. We now have on the west side (of PA that is) testing and stickers each year along with inspection. So before you go ordering the most radical combo you can find, keep this in mind.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
MikeyB
Actually, Im unsure of the PA laws right now. For starters I just moved there from Texas 3 years ago and over the past 3 years I have been overseas for the majority of the time. Anybody in central PA with heads/cam mods????

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
I'll be doing major work this spring. I know that to keep legal I will be keeping my cats, and using a cam with no less that 114lsa, because all the reading I do indicates that going less can maybe, or maybe not, pass emissions testing. Heads don't matter, its all about the cam. The wildest safe one I have determined to be a 224/224 114lsa profile.

Also from my research, I would expect about 450rwhp, and 425rwtq with a smog legal heads and cam package, retaining the cats.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
While in SD, look up Corvette Mike and go talk to him. Very good guy, not a BS'er, does good work.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Good numbers. Good luck with your plans.

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
Put a Vortech on and ramp up from there :jammin:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts