Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone know what the specs I would need on a cam to go as big as possible, but still being able to pass CA smog
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,464 Posts
I'm not too sure on this, but from reading LS1 tech here and there I think the biggest is a TR224 or the cam that Tony sells with the AFR205s (220/224 581/581). Anything bigger and you'll need a really good tuner to help pass smog. Again, just what I have heard. FWIW
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
136 Posts
As far as the sniffer test I've gotten a few opinions from here that say a 224/224 on a 114 ls is the biggest. I'm going to try go a little bigger, my car is scheduled to have a 226/230 113 ls the week of 8/1. The tuner is confident that I will pass the sniffer, hope to find a blind smog tester when I get the car smogged in 4 yrs :rofl: I'll post hp # when it's finished, but won't know about smog for quite a while.

Rwdyryd
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
benenati379 said:
I'm not too sure on this, but from reading LS1 tech here and there I think the biggest is a TR224 or the cam that Tony sells with the AFR205s (220/224 581/581). Anything bigger and you'll need a really good tuner to help pass smog. Again, just what I have heard. FWIW
Lobe seperation???


I emailed Andy a few hours ago.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,576 Posts
Rwdyryd said:
As far as the sniffer test I've gotten a few opinions from here that say a 224/224 on a 114 ls is the biggest. I'm going to try go a little bigger, my car is scheduled to have a 226/230 113 ls the week of 8/1. The tuner is confident that I will pass the sniffer, hope to find a blind smog tester when I get the car smogged in 4 yrs :rofl: I'll post hp # when it's finished, but won't know about smog for quite a while.

Rwdyryd
Rob,
I'm having a 228/230 .590 112 LSA
installed right now :yeadog:
I will worry about smog later :lol:

I know I told you I was going with the 114LSA, but I changed my mind :sneaky:

See Ya,
MO
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,372 Posts
Dayum.

This will be interesting to see. We can compare driveability afterwards. Youre sounds beefier than mine, so lets see what Rick is able to do about it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
204 Posts
The 224 is the largest that I have ever seen legally pass california emmissions. Oz your cam is larger(significantly).
-matt
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,152 Posts
224/224 w/ 114 LSA
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,576 Posts
Pakisho said:
Dayum.

This will be interesting to see. We can compare driveability afterwards. Youre sounds beefier than mine, so lets see what Rick is able to do about it.
OZ,
What are the spec on the LG G5X3,I thought the LG was bigger :screwy: then 228/230 .590 112LSA?

I should have it back tomorrow or friday I can't wait :yeadog:

See Ya,
MO
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
971 Posts
Everyone talks cam.

It not really the cam, although thats part of it if you go wild. It's all about volumetric efficiency.

My 429 came at 1/8th :zboobie: of the total requirement of my stock 346. Old cam is a secret.

1) Do a leak down test. This is what could really mess you up. The stock pistions, rings and bores in these things are nothing like the tolerances of a good forged setup.

2) Make sure your cats are good and clean.

3) Make sure you have good front 02 sensors.

4) Make sure you have a good tune.

5) No oil in the intake.

6) Fresh plugs and good wires.

7) Get the cats really nice and hot. Unplug one fan if you have too. lol.

8) I heard one gallon of ethanol helps as well. Alcohol burns clean and has about 1/2 the btu's of regular gas.

9) No engine codes in the last 500 miles.

PRETEST, before you actually test. The C02 is what will get on these motors if they are not up to snuff(sniff). :D

:thumb:

I doubt the LG GX3 would pass on a stock 346. To much duration and heavily split on lift and duration. Good for sending vast amounts of hydrocarbons down longtubes with no cats. P.S. You don't want to go below 114 LSA.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,464 Posts
Polar Bear said:
Lobe seperation???


I emailed Andy a few hours ago.
On a 114. The 112 is borderline passing. Don't take my word as gold though. I would talk to Andy and some other tuners to get some real world experience. I know Tony at AFR has some experience in this area.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
971 Posts
I will say it again. Don't use a 112 for passing smog.

The stock Z06 cam runs between 116 (02-04) to 117.5 LSA (01).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,590 Posts
Grim, I am thinking about a 427 build and an appropriate cam to work with AFR 225 heads. I don't live in Cali, we have a bit less restrictive emissions in Va, 49 state? Any cam suggestions?

Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
590 Posts
ZO6 AL-X said:
224/224 w/ 114 LSA

That cam should pass but anything with a LSA of 112 will probably fail the Cali sniffer test... :yeadog:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
590 Posts
BLEUBYU said:
Grim, I am thinking about a 427 build and an appropriate cam to work with AFR 225 heads. I don't live in Cali, we have a bit less restrictive emissions in Va, 49 state? Any cam suggestions?

Thanks!


With large cu. in. like that 427 you can get a lot more agressive than with the 346 cu. in. displacement engine..duration in the 240's will work with lift in the .600 + ...big engines like the big numbers on the cam.. :yeadog:..I run a 233\233 .595\.595 on a 112 LSA in my daily driver (346 cu in.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
166 Posts
I just passed with this cam...

Thunderracing reverse split cam 227/224 • 563/563 • 114 lsa
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
971 Posts
Steve Tillman said:
With large cu. in. like that 427 you can get a lot more agressive than with the 346 cu. in. displacement engine..duration in the 240's will work with lift in the .600 + ...big engines like the big numbers on the cam.. :yeadog:..I run a 233\233 .595\.595 on a 112 LSA in my daily driver (346 cu in.)

Yes, you have to feed that puppy. The biggest advantage with the 427, is the tolerances are much better on aftermarket setup and they are usually, "freasher," being newer. However, on the flip side it is 20% more motor and more total emissions.

I would go with MTI R1 Cam. .575/.578 232/236 on a 114. This will pass easy on 427 and you 500 at wheels with no Fast setup.

We are currently putting that cam back in my 429 and running a higher lift 1.85 roller rocker. So about .626/.629 with about eight degrees more duration. Bet it will still pass. However, I can put the put the stock 1.7's back on for smog day. Just in case. Sneaky.

I should have an article published, in one the mags, on the results in about sixty days.

P.S. I should have noted earlier, that I got that 429 to pass at 1/8th with no mufflers (It had a Borla XR racing exhaust on).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,590 Posts
Grim Reaper said:
Yes, you have to feed that puppy. The biggest advantage with the 427, is the tolerances are much better on aftermarket setup and they are usually, "freasher," being newer. However, on the flip side it is 20% more motor and more total emissions.

I would go with MTI R1 Cam. .575/.578 232/236 on a 114. This will pass easy on 427 and you 500 at wheels with no Fast setup.

We are currently putting that cam back in my 429 and running a higher lift 1.85 roller rocker. So about .626/.629 with about eight degrees more duration. Bet it will still pass. However, I can put the put the stock 1.7's back on for smog day. Just in case. Sneaky.

I should have an article published, in one the mags, on the results in about sixty days.

P.S. I should have noted earlier, that I got that 429 to pass at 1/8th with no mufflers (It had a Borla XR racing exhaust on).
Thanks for the info!! I have talked to Steve Demarjian in Cali about doing a dry sleeved LS2 - he has just completed dev of that system. He is supposed to be the best in the biz at sleeving motors. Chatted with Tony Mamo at AFR about a premium valvetrain config on their 225 heads. he also mentioned using FAST system. Crank, rods, pistons still being looked at - perhaps Lunati Pro Billet or Callies and JE for the forged pistons. Cool trick with the rockers - may look into that one!

I will be going through 1 7/8 long tubes plumbed into the stock cats. Since I am on the east coast, I am going to see if ECS can put this all together and give it a killer emissions legal tune. I will be doing some DTE drivetrain strengthening and a new clutch - for sure.

I was thinking LS7, but I think retrofitting it will be a major project - reluctor gear is different, dry sump/wet sump decisions, PCM is math based not table-based, etc. I believe that it will be a very expensive deal, and one not worked out for quite a while. "Too many minds..."

Looking forward to seeing your car in the mag. Thanks again.. :guiness:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
971 Posts
No problem.

Yes, Steve is very good.

You do not need a beefier rear end (you have a Z06, its lot lighter and better), only need a left side half shaft if you run 150 shot NOS and then maybe. You go over that, you got work ahead of you. LPE only on the half shaft. I have not seen one those break.

As far as billet/forged internals. There all good to about 1,200 h.p.. So no need to worry there with any of them. Callies crank, Diamond pistons and Eagle rods are what I have.

I would look to cut and prepped LS6/LQ9 heads from ECS, Cartek, TEA or West Coast Cylinder Head. Doug(ECS) and I have really well prepped LQ9's.

Random Cats, stock exhaust.

Yes, the LS7 fails the Bushido code.
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Top