Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i got my car back today just had AFR heads (205) and a cam put in. I am on the phone with the shop who is going to tune the car and they say they will not tune the car unless I buy injectors from him. Furthermore he says if I drive it without a tune and injectors I will burn my O2 sensors.

WTF

I spoke with this guy before, he tried to sell me patriot heads and a cam NEVER mentioned injectors and I aksed for a quote with everything, I spoke with MTI they never mentioned injectors, I spoke with Andy and A & A (who i bought the heads and cam from THANKS ANDY) he never mentioned them

is the shop that is going to tune my car trying to run a scam on me. Do I need bigger injectors???

I am not understanding this PLEASE HELP

·
Registered
223 Posts
I think it would be best to get the injectors. I just put in AFR Heads / LG Cam package and all of the bolt ons (Also installed new injectors (SVO 30#). I think you may also want to get a different chain as well. I went with the Jwiss. That is my opinion.

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Injectors may be needed, but they will not know until they scan it on the dyno.
I've had some cars that needed them and some are fine with the stock ones.

·
21,382 Posts
Injectors are not absolutely necessary but are a good idea. Your injectors will be running close to, if not 100% duty cycle during WOT.

·
Premium Member
5,475 Posts
I put a set of 30#SVO's on when I changed my cam and heads. Well worth the additional $180 IMHO

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Polar Bear said:
what rate to stock Z injectors flow and what rate do i need
Stock use a 26 lb that flow at 31lb. All you would need are 30s, that flow at 34.5 lbs.

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
Polar Bear said:
what rate to stock Z injectors flow and what rate do i need

The stock injectors are 28.8 lb injectors...I don't think you really need larger injectors. You might run them pretty close to the max at WOT but, the stock ones aren't going to hurt you at all. If you add some spray, blower, or more cubes...you will need larger injectors.

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
FRC Tom said:
Stock use a 26 lb that flow at 31lb. All you would need are 30s, that flow at 34.5 lbs.

Hmm...I was under the impression that the #30's flow 36 @ 58 and the stockers flow 28.8. :-?

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
case2307 said:
Hmm...I was under the impression that the #30's flow 36 @ 58 and the stockers flow 28.8. :-?
97-00 they flow at 28.03, 01-04 they flow at 30.94.

Yours are scaled at 32.55. :)

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
You probably will need injectors. With your RWHP you will be at or over 100% duty cycle, and depending on how you drive the car, DE events etc. that can be risky.

Personally I do not recommend the SVO 30's, you can do a search on my name and see where they cost be a piston, and why. Instead, and especially if you plan future upgrades, I would stay with a GM/Bosch unit - I run 42's. Better to get a size that will allow future mods (in case) so that you don't buy twice.

Les

Polar Bear said:
So i got my car back today just had AFR heads (205) and a cam put in. I am on the phone with the shop who is going to tune the car and they say they will not tune the car unless I buy injectors from him. Furthermore he says if I drive it without a tune and injectors I will burn my O2 sensors.

WTF

I spoke with this guy before, he tried to sell me patriot heads and a cam NEVER mentioned injectors and I aksed for a quote with everything, I spoke with MTI they never mentioned injectors, I spoke with Andy and A & A (who i bought the heads and cam from THANKS ANDY) he never mentioned them

is the shop that is going to tune my car trying to run a scam on me. Do I need bigger injectors???

I am not understanding this PLEASE HELP

·
Registered
858 Posts
Some of the info in this thread scares me. You will want bigger injectors for your setup. I would not trust the stockers past boltons, much less heads cam. Most info I have read says the stockers are not "safe" past 400 RWHP (a good deal over 100% duity cycle). If I were your tuner I would not touch the car with stock injectors...That setup should make well over 430RWHP.

·
Registered
314 Posts
If the tuner charges you over $250 for the 30lb SVO's, your getting ripped off...but I agree with everyone else your application calls for them.

Most Ford parts sites let them go for under $200....Also don't be fooled on the "flow matched" set - they are good for higher HP set-ups.

Bill

·
Premium Member
2,576 Posts
jub jub said:
Injectors are not absolutely necessary but are a good idea. Your injectors will be running close to, if not 100% duty cycle during WOT.
"I'm with jub jub I think your current set-up might be maxed out".

Polar Bear,
I really don't think your being screwed as I said last night when we spoke.

I do think that all the scenarios should of been placed in front of you by A&A, MTI, and Synergy.
They should of said you might need new injectors, timing chain, etc... So you could of been prepared for all issues.
Any time you get a bil that you didn't see coming can be a pain in the ASS :ity:

My guess is that Rick is playing it safe and to maximize the tune he's asking for you to purchase the new injectors. Give me a call if you still want me to meet you there, I can be there by 4pm
:cheers:
Mike

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
PB, definitely get the injectors. Whoever is telling you to put them in is being prudent.

My friend was at 98% duty cycle at 425rwhp. That was cam only. You'll easily hit that and more. Its pretty much required.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I put Svo 30's in mine @ the tuners request. I did a little research and one tuning book I read had a HP to injector flow table that showed the stockers would be inadequate for my projected hp. If I remember your posts, your car will be set-up much like mine... I'd do the injectors. I did have other tuners quote my tune, and if they didn't include injectors in their quote I asked why. Both others said it would be a very wise move to put them in. :yeadog:

Bob

1 - 20 of 22 Posts