·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys think?

I'm trying to decide between the following:

1.) A cam only
2.) Stage 2 heads / cam from ARE
3.) Nitrous (100 shot - all safety features)

I don't drive the car that often but would like to get some more power out of it. It has 900 miles on it now and I'd be surprised if I put more than a 1000 miles a year on it.

Thanks for your input.

------------------
Brian
01 Quicksilver Z06, Vortex/Powerduct, CAGS, B&M Ripper

·
Registered
0 Posts
JMHO...Heads and cam. I like the all natural!! No juice EVER for my cars!! /ubb/smilies/biggrin.gif

------------------
Frank Calmes Quicksilver 2001 Z06
Vortex Rammer & Power Duct, B&B PRT's with Speedway Tips, Ripper Shifter with Momo Knob, Chrome Z06 Wheels

Sherylann Calmes Black 2001 Z06
Vortex Rammer & Power Duct, Chrome Z06 Wheels

[email protected]

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The major consideration here is of course cost.

A NX Stage 3 kit will cost me around $1200
Cam only around $1000
Heads / cam somewhere in the $4k range including installation. (Yes, I cut a deal with a local guy who will do it for around $1000).

I've never used Nitrous before so I'm kind of leary about it.

------------------
Brian

·
Registered
109 Posts
Simple answer- BOTH!

I would say it depends what you're hoping to accomplish by making this mod.

I added nitrous to mine because I wanted to make big power for occasional use on the street, but mainly for running at the dragstrip. And the N2O DOES make serious power, a lot more than any heads/cam package, but it only last while there is gas in the bottle.

Heads and cam won't give you the same gain, although there are a few packages making serious power now (see Jon Pauls Hennessey Z06), and the power is useable all the time.

Both of these mods will void your warranty, although you can always take the nitrous system off within 1/2 hour if there is a problem. That's one luxury you don't have with a heads/cam package.

I hope this helps. /ubb/smilies/smile.gif

------------------
2001 Z06, Tag "EVIL Z06"
Torch red, solid black interior
!CAGS !BSM
NGK TR6 plugs & Taylor wires
Halltech Z06 TRIC + MAG
NX 150hp Wet Kit

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've talked with several different shops about their heads/cam. It sounds like I should be able to get 425 rwhp easily and 450+ if I want to push emissions legalness. (Is that a word?)

I was helping someone (C5) install their ARE heads/cam this past weekend. About 8:00 pm Sat. night the phone wrang. It was Nick Agostino calling to see how the install was going. I was impressed to say the least.

It seems that the tuners are fairly close in terms of performance / cust satisfaction with some variance in pricing.

The guy I was helping said he would call Nick and spec it out for me when I was ready. I assume you can do this with all tuners?

------------------
Brian

·
Registered
89 Posts
As you probably know, I have ordered the heads and cam package. I do not want the stress of NO2 on the engine and want to have the power all of the time.

On sale it is possible to put the car back to stock, but expensive.

The $4,000 seems a bit light for any of the bigger names. For cam, heads, install and custom pcm tuning, I think it is more like $5,000-$7,000. West Coast Corvette wanted $2,500 for the install--guess they are very busy. I am going elsewhere when the parts arrive. I would go to AA Engines (Andy?) because he is experiences and very fair with prices, but he is too far from where I live. So, I decided to go with Corvette Mike for the install of the DRM set-up. Maybe prices are just higher here in LA-LA Land!

Good luck on your decision.

------------------
Blk Z06, Halltech Cold Air and Ported TB, DRM Top End, Chromed Wheels, Tint, Nakamichi/MB Qt/PPI/Fosgate Stereo, etc.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mako,

Thanks for the input. I am basing my calculations on the following.

Heads/cam : $3000 (including all parts such as valves, rods, etc..)
$500 for misc. items such as gaskets, fluids, and whatever I can't think of.
Headers: $1000 or so with install
Payment for my friend for install: $1100

Does this seem right? Am I missing something major?

I'm sure I'll need a new clutch. Which one, how much?

------------------
Brian

1 - 9 of 9 Posts