Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For starters, im not a vette guy(im a pushrod mustang guy so please don't flame me as im trying to get more educated), just curious about a few facts before my friend dumps his savings into his car. I think he had settled on a Head and Cam package, but here are my questions.
There are different packages, ranging from stock ported heads, to MTI? 6.0l ported heads, and some heads by "patriot." What are the advantages of these? Also, what is the stock lift, and what's a pretty good combo on a DD '02. With the LT, x and cat back, cone, one company tells him him 435-450 with the patriot heads, a .58X? lift cam and a tune. Another company said that the 6.0L heads and a .610 lift will yeild in 460-470 after a tune. Also, what is the deal with going high lift on these motors. Something about valve springs dying prematurely? Also, for someone mechanically capable, (never worked on a vette though, did heads and cam on a ls1 z28 before) what in the hell is the deal with paying 1500 bucks for heads and cam installation?

please help a fellow noob out.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Patrior heads- I dont like them
6.0 heads- unless you are going with forced induction in the future i dont see why you want them.

cams- There is a wide range of variety stock lift on an 02 is around 550.

For a good head and cam combo i would call LG motorsports and get a full package from them. Speak to Lou let him know you are a member here and he will take care of you.

1500 is vette tax, so get used to it.

A tune is necessary with a H/C.

expect between 420-470RWHP depending on combo, and expect to rev your car up to 7000 RPM if setup correctly.

AFR heads are one of the best on the market. Another choice is to port your stock heads with the works.

Good luck, and keep us updated.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
I agree with Hassan. The guy knows his stuff.

Alex :thumb:

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
If I was going to buy a head/cam/ header package today there are many outstanding Vendor's such as A&A, LGM, MTI etc. These guys know there stuff. :cheers:

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
tweak302 said:
Thanks, what do afr's flow vs a set of ported stocks? What size valves, ports, com. chamber?
The flow number of a ported LS6 head and the regular AFR205 are very similar. There are some vendors that do get more out of the LS6 but that costs big bucks and in some cases might loser some driveability. The advantages of the AFR is that they are thick(wont fail as easily especially with forced induction or hardcore racing) and that they maintain better torque numbers in the lower part of the rpm range. The AFRs 205 are meant for the average joe who wants a good performing head while not going all out racing.

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
Your getting some very good advice here.

I'm not a fan of patriot heads myself and would personally go for the AFR heads with a nice cam.

I'd go for the Comp 921 dual spring kit upgrade on the AFR heads as they are in my opinion one of the best options for a high lift cam.

I'd do either kooks or LG headers.

·
Premium Member
2,576 Posts
IT L GO said:
If I was going to buy a head/cam/ header package today there are many outstanding Vendor's such as A&A, LGM, MTI etc. These guys know there stuff. :cheers:
I completely agree, Their the best :yeadog:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts