Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you out there with HUD really use it? I think I would use it more if the tach would light up in red, maybe at 6k rpm. This would make it stand out more and would enable you to keep your eyes looking out for potential problems as you rocket toward them. Maybe a "RACE" mode would be helpful that shows only the tach and or speed.

Personally I find the little tach bars hard to make out when running thru the gears. I find myself glancing down at the analog tach. Maybe old habits are hard to change. What do you think?

·
Registered
291 Posts
I hardly ever look at the gauges anymore, the HUD is perfect for me.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
The majority of the time I display just the MPH, it's too busy with everything displayed. The one feature that I find useful when running her through the gears is the shift light that comes on at 6250 RPM. I find this handy to keep me from hitting the rev limiter.

carzzy

·
Registered
31 Posts
I use only the MPH. Going thru the gears, I pay attention to the analog tach. The other stuff is too inconvenient to scroll thru while driving.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I look at the mph and the tach on the HUD. I find it very convenient, especially when I am turning and my arms block the analog guages.

- Charley

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
I use the Analog Tach, the small shift light in the HUD is just too small for my eyes.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Is it possible to take a picture of the HUD?? As you can tell by my name, I don't have a Z06 yet. I have actually never seen the HUD. If someone could do that and post it up that would be cool, thanks!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Love the HUD and use it all the time, but the tach part of it with the little bars is just plain worthless to me.

One thing I always loved about 911s: The tach is the biggest instrument, and smack in the center with a big red needle. You don't even need to refocus, peripheral vision can catch it.

Not sure what GM could do to make it better in HUD form though, except for maybe colors?

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I never cared for HUD. I felt it was gimicky and a wasted of resources. I am glad that it was not part of the '01.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Z06 2002,

How about letting us see a jpeg of the HUD reading 177 mph!

Might be a little tough in the garage!:eek: :eek:

·
Registered
23 Posts
On the race track it's great to glance at the MPH just before braking for the next turn. It's a quick and exact guide to show you how you're doing. The RPM is more by ear or feeling because the power band drops off before the red line.:z:
Rob McM

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
02blkZ06 said:
Hey Z06 2002,

How about letting us see a jpeg of the HUD reading 177 mph!

Might be a little tough in the garage!:eek: :eek:
It can be done, Dyno is calling :)

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
I find the HUD very easy to use and extremely useful. I use the tach and the shift light on the track. As long as I am not in first there is enough time from the shift light to shift before hitting the rev limiter. In first, I agree you need to use the analog tach.
I also agree the MPH is great on the track. I find myself looking at entry and exit speed on every corner with the HUD. Much harder to look down to the analog tach or speedometer to get this data.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
I use the HUD to make sure I keep "around" the posted speed limits. I find it very useful for that. I am trying NOT to give Barney a reason to pull me over.

I have always shifted by feel/sound anyways. So I do not pay attention to the tach in the HUD.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Way to go Roger! Nice pic!:cheers:

I feel the need... the need for speed!:D

·
Registered
514 Posts
Sweet Ramjet!

Hope a deer doesn't step out in front of you.

I really like the idea of a "race mode" for the HUD!

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
I like it.

I just picked up my car Saturday but I like the HUD already. The first time I saw it was at the NCM in 1999 when the hardtop was uncovered. I had my head in the driver side window when some guy in a straw hat by the name of Dave Hill was showing me how it worked. He was also showing off the telescopic steering column but I haven't heard much about that lately.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts