Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been reading threads on after market pedal kits. Before I go that route, I want to get some opinions on how easy or difficult it is to heel toe a Z06.

For clarity I am 5’10” and have size 10 feet .

I find that the hump below the steering column prevents me from angling my leg enough to stab the gas with my heel. As a result I end up braking with the ball of my foot and stabbing the gas with my little toe. Bit scary when the ball of the foot slides of late in the work zone. I just bought some driving shoes which are very narrow and now my foot wants to get lost between the brake and the gas.

Anyone have this same frustration? Any opinions, thoughts or instructional tips would be greatly appreciated.

:cheers:

·
Registered
69 Posts
bbullitt01 said:
I have been reading threads on after market peddle kits. Before I go that route, I want to get some opinions on how easy or difficult it is to heel toe a Z06.

For clarity I am 5’10” and have size 10 feet .

I find that the hump below the steering column prevents me from angling my leg enough to stab the gas with my heel. As a result I end up braking with the ball of my foot and stabbing the gas with my little toe. Bit scary when the ball of the foot slides of late in the work zone. I just bought some driving shoe which are very narrow and now my foot wants to get lost between the brake and the gas.

Anyone have this same frustration? Any opinions, thoughts or instructional tips would be greatly appreciated.

:cheers:
Z06 is very easy to heel-toe. I'm also 5'10" with 10 feet. Braking should be dones with ball of right foot, gas with the outside of the foot by rolling sideways on your ankle. Practice on the street at lower speeds rather than while on track at high speed - much less chance of incident.
Good luck!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yah, the shoes I used to use were a skateboarding type shoe. I could roll my ankle and things went smoothly. Played around on the street with the new driving shoes, they are significantly more narrow and I kept sliding off of the brake.

·
Registered
176 Posts
bbullitt01 said:
Yah, the shoes I used to use were a skateboarding type shoe. I could roll my ankle and things went smoothly. Played around on the street with the new driving shoes, they are significantly more narrow and I kept sliding off of the brake.
:NoNo: On skateboarding shoes. They are way too wide.

·
Registered
284 Posts
The Z06 is very easy to Heel-toe, you just have to find a foot position that works for you. Keep practicing, it will come to you.

·
Registered
270 Posts
If you can't do a heel/toe, then do what I do, ball of the foot on the brake and side of the foot on the gas. I have size 15 sneakers so it's the only way I can do it.

It's very easy, however the stock pedals are very slippery. Some good covers clear that right up. The ones with the sharp raised edges are nice. I have them on both my C5 and my Camaro. You can also buy gas pedal covers that extend over to the left.

Dope

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
A gas pedal add on which would "move" the thing over 1/2" would be all I need. I just keep slipping off the brake with the ball of my foot.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I installed a kit from PFYC. The brake pedal is somewhat wider than stock and instead of centering it I moved it closer to the gas pedal.

Best thing is then to do as described above: left half of the foot firmly on the brake and right edge on the gas when needed. Works perfect even with narrow driving shoes (well, after some practice...).

It's not exactly heel/toe but I find that impossible due to the hanging gas pedal.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Right, not so much "heel-toe" as it is "ball-edge" but it works the same way.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Heel/Toe (misnomer) is learned by practice, practice, practice. You cannot do it well without LOTS of practice. Even the Level 2 classes at Spring Mountain begin with Heel/Toe practice.

Find a large empty parking lot & practice your downshifts. It does not have to be wide, just long. Upshift to 4th, then brake, clutch, neutral, BLIP, select 3rd gear, release, then repeat with 2nd, then 1st gears. U-turn and do it all over again. It takes more time to say each repetition, than it does to actually do it.

Janet

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, lots of practice. The new shoes have just thrown me for a bit of a loop. I have to be more precise.

·
Registered
1 Posts
seems everytime i "blip" the gas i put pressure on the brake (sort of blip the brake too) , is that something else that just takes more practice......

·
Registered
140 Posts
seems everytime i "blip" the gas i put pressure on the brake (sort of blip the brake too) , is that something else that just takes more practice......
I think the whole thing only makes sense while braking hard anyway. The theory is that with having a bit more revs while engaging the clutch one gear lower you do not get an additional braking moment from the engine on the rear axle which could potentially be destabilizing, especially on wet track. (-> no idea if this is understandable with my English...)
In short, stand on the brake real hard stay on it and then downshift using this technique before releasing the brake and going around the bend...

·
Registered
874 Posts
Try to practice it under light braking, the harder you brake the easier it is to do. When you start applying it on the track, and you actually pull it off the feeling is awsome. PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE! :yeadog: :thumb:

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Ag-Z06 said:
Z06 is very easy to heel-toe. I'm also 5'10" with 10 feet. Braking should be dones with ball of right foot, gas with the outside of the foot by rolling sideways on your ankle. Practice on the street at lower speeds rather than while on track at high speed - much less chance of incident.
Good luck!
Exactly how I do it and I can roll my foot onto the gas with size 7 racing shoes. I don't "angle" my foot much, it is mostly roll.

I find the Z06 very hard to toe heel on the street due to the relative heights of the pedals: the brake doesn't go down far enough to easily roll the foot onto the gas. However, when braking hard the brake pedal goes down to the correct spot and I find toe heeling to be a subconscious process.

·
Registered
391 Posts
heel toe a SUB conscious process?

I get it!
Seriously, I used to track all the time with crosstrainers, then I bought some driving shoes. WORL O" DIFFERENCE. Just takes practice. And then, as SubDriver said, It becomes a SUB consious action.! Did I say I love my Z06?
Even w/street tires last night, I whupped a couple porshe turbo's and a random newer M3. This car makes a guy look positively skillful, even when OSB.(Other Sports Beckon---strongly. C Smith)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts