Corvette Z06 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How does he do it, and how much do I have to spend to do it.
Just read the supetuner shootout from C&D Sept 2001, where the Z06 beats the much pricerier 911 AWD by 0.7 on their test course. the following sidebar showed hurley haywood, noted porsha racer and Heinricy, noted Corvette engineer/racer, saying (and I swear I've heard this before) that he shifts without clutch. I read that Tommy Dorsey saysin Trans Am, that you can shift by "dabbing the clucth" I did that quite a bit in my Z28 on the tradk. Feels REAL smooth, like an auto, but my mechanic buddy says "byb-bye to yoursynchros, Dude"
Your expeirneices? thx.

·
Registered
765 Posts
It can be done, but it's VERY bad for the synchros.

Heinricy once said that he can shift without the clutch, but he wouldn't do it with HIS car.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
It's called Speed Shifting....

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Lambinator said:
It can be done, but it's VERY bad for the synchros.

Heinricy once said that he can shift without the clutch, but he wouldn't do it with HIS car.
I wouldn't let him do it in my car either !!!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
What kind of "in/out", Zippy? :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
33 Posts
I think it has somthing to do with matching the rpms while you put it into the next gear. Example: lets say your zo6 is going 30mph in 1st gear at 5000rpm and at 30mph in 2nd gear you are at 4000rpm, when you pull it into 2nd you must be at 4000rpm. To do it at any rpm or speed you would need to know the spred but at the dragstrip I would think it would be kinda a rythum.I have never tried it so dont take my word on it. If someone can offer some technics I just might give it a try.

·
Registered
837 Posts
To put clutchless shifting in its proper perspective, it's a technique most widely practiced by those in the valet parking trade....:D

Ranger

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
Ranger said:
To put clutchless shifting in its proper perspective, it's a technique most widely practiced by those in the valet parking trade....:D

Ranger
This is a classic! :lol: Please pass this on to your kids. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
I believe it's when input shaft speed matches engine speed - the speed shift can occur - obviously the clutches coupling action is not needed if the speeds match... :D :cheers:

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
Actually clutchless shifting is NOT speed shifting. Clutchless shifting is shifting without using the clutch by matching shaft speeds. Speed shifting is not removing your foot from the gas pedal during CLUTCHED shifts.

Studies have shown that shifting without the clutch, for all but the very best racers (and not even some of them) is worthless. It just wears down parts unnecessarily.

If you really feel like you have to be "cool" and try it, do it at low speeds in a parking lot and make sure you don't force the shifter into gear. Enough force over enough times and you will probably ruin synchros and/or gears unless you are rev matching perfectly.

Personally, I would never bother trying this except with a rental car.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Heinricy doesnt have to worry about paying for a transmission. I got enough of a scare when I powershifted second and the clutch didn't return.:eek:

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
I power shift, that is my foot stays on the gas and I hit the clutch like stamping on a bug. I am trying to break this habbit that I learned in the late '60s and speed shift, that is letting off the gas between shifts. It is hard to teach an old dog new tricks.
Power shifting from 1st to 2nd cost me 15-20 ft of rubber and my 60' times.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Let us clarify:

Power shifting - Foot stays on gas, no lift. Clutch is depressed rapidly while shifting.

Speed shifting - aka "Clutchless Shifting". Shifting occurs when speeds of tranny and motor match, there is no clutch depression nor lift of gas pedal.

(/smart ass) :D

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
clutchless shifting

Thanks to all . I wondered since Heinricy did it in Vettes, if the carbon synchros had anything to do with it. So until I get my Jericho 6 spd, dog ring Trans Am tranny, I will stick with using my left foot for de-clutching a.w.a braking.

Sept , '01, Car and driver comparo: $49K Z06 beats $168K porshe 911

·
Registered
572 Posts
I've done a lot of clutchless shifting, but never in a car. I used to drive an 18 wheeler, and that was normal(no synchros). I'ld hate to see the damage in a synchro tranny if you missed by even a bit:eek: Hmmm..maybe I'll rent a car and see what happens:D

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
you guys are all weenies

I shift mine without the clutch all the time. It doesn't hurt a damned thing. The trick is you never ever force the car to go into the next gear.

You match RPMs, and you ask the transmission VERY nicely to shift into the next one.

It won't hurt anything at all. There is no synchro abuse, because the RPM of the input shaft and the intermediate shaft are properly matched for the gear you are selecting, so the synchros don't even work.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts