Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to get some ideas and suggestions on a helmet for DE's. I think I would prefer a full face. I have worn both full and open face. Thanks :thumb:

·
Registered
124 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
There are so many good choices (Bell, Simpson, Pyrotech, Bieffe, etc etc) at a pretty low price point ($250-600)...ultimately, fit is the whole deal. Find the helmet that is the most comfortable, while still being snug at all points of your head. Try a number of helmets on, wear them around the shop/store for a little while, make sure no strange pressure points (a small pressure point in the shop can cause major pain in a 30 minute session) and buy what fits, IMHO

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
A point of interest for you to consider; The SCCA is recommending open face helmets for cars equipped with airbags. If you do go with a full-face also consider a Han's device to protect you neck.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
I'm currently using a Simpson Shark (Sidewinder). Kevlar full face with helmet cooling attachment. I also use a HANs device. The combo is not cheap, but... my wife would be really upset with me if I paralyzed myself and wasn't using a good helmet and HANs device.

Last year I used a Simpson Bandit which is more cost effective (also can have HANs device attached.)

Simpson Shark:

·
Registered
581 Posts
Great setup Subdriver. Do you have a cooling box also?

I bought a HANS in 01 after the front roll hoop stopped my head from moving forward as the (racing) steering wheel bend inside-out. Switched to a not as good system when the HANS prevented exit in the fixed door car.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
CHRIS @ East Coast said:
I think your money would be better invested in some driving lessons. :rofl: :rofl: ;)

You better buy some depends for when I show you around the track! :lol:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts