Corvette Z06 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
cost of returning 04 Z to stock in preparation for C6Z

ok, i'm in a bit of a dilemma here. i knew i shouldn't have gone to mid-ohio. i knew i shouldn't have looked at the C6Z in person. i have to say i was wrong, the pictures just don't do it justice. i'm still not crazy over the rear end, but it's definitely something i can overlook now that i've seen the rest of the car in person... and i was a very harsh critic! now i think i want one... only problem is i have a disassembled 04 sitting in my garage and i don't have the parts to put i back to stock! :blush:

so to see exactly how deep a hole i'd dug, i calls up scoggin dickey to see what it would cost to buy all the stuff needed to execute this master plan, and after tallying up the prices, er, well, lets just say maybe that's not the right thing to do.

here's what they told me:
Code:
front wheels (no tires)    $514 x 2   =  $1028
rears                      $529 x 2   =  $1058
intake                     $546       =  $546
throttle body              $445       =  $445
injectors                  $118 x 8   =  $944
TI cat backs               $1023 x 2  =  $2046
rear end w gears         $??
F1SC's                       $??
heads (assembled)      $??
-----------------------------------------------
TOTAL                                    $6067
that's not lookin' too good! i sold the stuff i took off for maybe $3000.... but that still leaves at least that much to pay.

ok, so it looks like i have a few choices:

A) put it back to stock by buying used parts off of ebay

B) continue with heads/cam/rear modifications and sell it like that

C) you guy's fill this one in....

so what's my best option?

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
you've already sold all the above factory parts and you have not bought ANY of the aftermarket parts to replace and you are DEFINITELY buying a C6Z?

If the main issue is that you are definitely going for the C6Z then the answer is that you buy all the factory parts for as cheap as you can to bring it back to stock config. Anything more spent on it is pointless since you are trading and one hardly gets any money back on modifications. You're already gonna lose a ton because you've changed your mind midway into your current project.

I would have said "C: say enjoy the h/c package" if you didnt sound so determined in your decision for the C6Z. but since you do, there is no point. you could mod it all you want but you'd probably be still yearning for the C6Z.

Good luck.

·
Registered
515 Posts
:crazy:

That is a tough decision to deal with. Stock is better to trade/resell. If you have to get a new Z you must be ready to spend a lot more money. I bought my 04 like yours and plan on doing it again for the last C6Z06. Better bargain in the last year of production. The first year production will be no bargain.

I would start buying stock parts if you are getting rid of it.

Please leave the next Z alone and enjoy it.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Just my .02 .... I would move forward with the mods to the current Z and drive it and enjoy it for a while. If you aren't already on a waiting list for the C6 Z06 then you have at least a 1 year wait to get your hands on one and even then the price may change your mind.

In the meantime, you can look for deals on parts if you definitely want to go back to stock in the future. Also check a lot of others outlets since those prices can be beat. Maybe go with aftermarket chrome wheels for $1200 a set versus stock GM wheels, injectors shouldn't cost that much, stock Z06 exhaust from a fellow modifier, same for TB.

Later ... Larry S.

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
I have an extra set of 4 oem 2003 Z06 rims with Goodyear F1 tires (fronts decent/rear tires shot) that I would sell you for 525 for all four plus shipping if you need them.

Personally I'd keep the C5 Z06 for a few years and let the feeding frenzy on the C6 Z06 calm down...

Just my opinion as an owner of a C5 Z06.

It probably will take a year or two to get a C6 Z06 at this point...at msrp....(I think)

HTH

·
Registered
882 Posts
Modded cars do sell if done right -- I know of a few that sold in days. :yeadog:

Are you willing to wait a year and pay a surcharge? And what if the price is $70? And has GM ever had a successful 1st year launch? :eek:

If your serious, make a list of what you can sell your mods for realistically and then pic up the OEM parts on ebay. You will make a few dollars but not much. And consider the additional headaches involved. :roll:

I'd just drive it for a year and review selling it then. ;)

·
Registered
17,744 Posts
I don't necessarily see any correlation between stock and modified when it come to selling. For some reason people seem to think that if a car has been modified it has been beat to death and if it's stock it has been driven with some special care. To me I go buy the condition of the car. To me buy a modified car that someone has spent 20,000 in upgrades for 7,000.00 or 8000.00 more than what a stocker costs is a good deal. :z:

·
Registered
515 Posts
I have not seen a modded Z06 that was done the way I would want it for myself. It is no different than buying a street rod. Not many people have the same exact setup.

He may as well mod it and drive it this year if the new Z06's are all spoken for. I will be doing the h/c package this winter and will keep my original stuff. Thanks for posting this it has helped me plan better.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts